Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ely [appearing on moving map]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2018, 1:41 pm

Programs: BA GGL, CCR; RyanAir MillionMiler :( ;
Plenty small airfields near Ely and its beautiful cathedral. Many years ago, when the dinosaurs were alive, i went parascending at such an airfield at 1000ft - with a fantastic view of the fens and the Cathedral. I had recently moved from rain town ( Glasgow ) to the driest part of the UK, the Herts/Beds/Camds border.The Scout Movement has contributed an amazing amount to young people in the UK and worldwide.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 1:48 pm

It is not just in England that seemingly smaller places feature on the moving maps. They crop up for other countries too. I expect there is a whole team of geographers who work on this night and day to lift our morals as we fly here and there.
trooper likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 1:53 pm

Programs: KLM, BA Silver, Etihad
Yes the Island of Ely is actually quite a famous place.

i was happy to see New Glasgow on my recent trip to NY, I'd never heard of it.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 1:57 pm

I once woke up on a QR flight, and the first thing I saw was the word "Braunau" (in large letters) on the moving map display. [less populated than Ely, but well known for its picturesque historic old town ]
Old Oct 13, 2018, 1:59 pm

Programs: EC Blue, EB Silver, FB Gold
Ely? I’d rather crash in Brighton!
Old Oct 13, 2018, 2:03 pm

Recently en route from SFO I was amused to see Miles City, MT (pop 8000) appear on the map, even more so as it was a redemption booking.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 2:15 pm

Both AI and TG leave Singapore, a whole country as well as one of SE Asia’s most significant cities off their in-flight mapping and, instead, label the next door town of Johor Bahru. Johor is totally insignificant in comparison.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 2:17 pm

Programs: M&M, BA Silver, Accor LeClub Gold
My Dad used to work for Ely town council in the early 1980's. I'd always been under the impression that places shown on the route-map are aviation waypoints - thus the reason why you often see quite random places. Of course, as more NEO aircraft get delivered (which don't have the moving map) fewer people will have the opportunity to wonder about what things of interest lie in such random towns.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 2:24 pm

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
2 oddities I have seen recently on flight map are 1. The site of the Titanic Sinking (not great for transaltalantic passengers) and Torteval in Guernsey which is literally a hamlet of a few bungalows
Old Oct 13, 2018, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingScientist
I once woke up on a QR flight, .....
Yes, QR beds very uncomfortable so one never gets a good night’s sleep. Much better on BA where a good night is guaranteed.
FlyingScientist likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by chickenlegs
This was the town nobody's heard of BA decided to indicate on the flight map on my latest return to the UK. More than 1000 miles out and the only thing labeled on the UK map other than London was... Ely. I'll save you the trouble, it's Cambridge. On a flight earlier this year it was a village with population 3 thousand. Are there any reasons BA intentionally chooses obscure locations other than to promote curiosity?
I am sure you have your tongue in your cheek as you write but still, let me observe that "to be ignorant of what occurred before you were born is to remain forever a child", as someone once said. Ely is older and more notable than most countries, so it it can hardly be right to suggest it is 'obscure'?
Old Oct 13, 2018, 4:10 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze; ALL Gold
I was frequently bemused/amused to see on BA maps a few years ago, when coming into the UK from the east, a prominent reference to a place seemingly located in Kent labelled 'Stanstead'. No such town/village exists there (however there is a Stanstead in Suffolk, about 23 miles NE of Stansted Airport).
Old Oct 13, 2018, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Originally Posted by gbs1112
Both AI and TG leave Singapore, a whole country as well as one of SE Asia’s most significant cities off their in-flight mapping and, instead, label the next door town of Johor Bahru. Johor is totally insignificant in comparison.
CX too, at least on their older system.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by Travelling Inspector
I was frequently bemused/amused to see on BA maps a few years ago, when coming into the UK from the east, a prominent reference to a place seemingly located in Kent labelled 'Stanstead'. No such town/village exists there (however there is a Stanstead in Suffolk, about 23 miles NE of Stansted Airport).
There's also a Stansted in Kent.

Last edited by callum9999; Oct 13, 2018 at 7:16 pm
Old Oct 13, 2018, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
[Ely's] a very nice little historic town, with ... an old church.

As in Westminster is a very nice part of London with some government offices and a church ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.