Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Concorde Room Access in JFK on a BA/Alaska Ticket during layover.

Concorde Room Access in JFK on a BA/Alaska Ticket during layover.

Old Oct 12, 18, 2:13 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: NYC
Posts: 280
Concorde Room Access in JFK on a BA/Alaska Ticket during layover.

I have an upcoming flight that is unfortunately booked on British Airways first class from London Heathrow to JFK, with an onward connection to Los Angeles in Alaska Airlines first class, all under the same itinerary. Upon re-clearing the mess that is security in their dreadful terminal 7 for the domestic leg of the trip, will I be able to use the Concorde Room?
bkojote is offline  
Old Oct 12, 18, 2:15 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: London, UK
Programs: BA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador
Posts: 14,771
No, you wonít.
Genius1 is offline  
Old Oct 12, 18, 2:19 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Betwixt SEA and LHR
Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, AS Gold MVP, IC RA, IHG Spire Elite, HH Diamond, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Posts: 1,346
Why wouldn't they have access? At LHR you get CCR access if you have arrived in F and are transiting onward in a lower class of service, why is this different at JFK T7?

My point being presuming the AS flight departs from T7 (most do, some do go from T8 though) and you're airside, and you have a BA F boarding pass from your inbound, why wouldn't you be allowed access?
opalfruit is offline  
Old Oct 12, 18, 2:23 pm
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: London, UK
Programs: BA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador
Posts: 14,771
Originally Posted by opalfruit View Post
Why wouldn't they have access? At LHR you get CCR access if you have arrived in F and are transiting onward in a lower class of service, why is this different at JFK T7?

My point being presuming the AS flight departs from T7 (most do, some do go from T8 though) and you're airside, and you have a BA F boarding pass from your inbound, why wouldn't you be allowed access?
CCR access on a LHR T5 connection is provided as the onward flight is on BA/IB.

Alaska Airlines is not BA/IB, let alone oneworld.
Genius1 is offline  
Old Oct 12, 18, 2:24 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: York, UK
Programs: BAEC Gold, Honors Diamond
Posts: 498
Originally Posted by opalfruit View Post
Why wouldn't they have access? At LHR you get CCR access if you have arrived in F and are transiting onward in a lower class of service, why is this different at JFK T7?

My point being presuming the AS flight departs from T7 (most do, some do go from T8 though) and you're airside, and you have a BA F boarding pass from your inbound, why wouldn't you be allowed access?
At a guess because AS aren't in OneWorld. My understanding is both flights have to be on OneWorld for access.
S_W_S is offline  
Old Oct 12, 18, 2:25 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: UK
Programs: Mucci, BA
Posts: 9,667
IMO because AS is not oneworld, and BA's inbound in F CCR rule is probably derived from the oneworld rule of incoming longhaul cabin. Haven't tried it, and wouldn't surprise me if this scenario isn't covered in the lounge eligibility guide. Wouldn't hurt to try, I suppose.
BA6501 is offline  
Old Oct 12, 18, 2:33 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Betwixt SEA and LHR
Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, AS Gold MVP, IC RA, IHG Spire Elite, HH Diamond, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Posts: 1,346
The CCR is infamously not a Oneworld lounge though. Access is granted at LHR not because onward flights are on BA/IB, but because you arrived on BA F.
opalfruit is offline  
Old Oct 12, 18, 2:36 pm
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: London, UK
Programs: BA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador
Posts: 14,771
Originally Posted by opalfruit View Post
The CCR is infamously not a Oneworld lounge though. Access is granted at LHR not because onward flights are on BA/IB, but because you arrived on BA F.
I agree that the two CCRs are not oneworld lounges.

Access is granted at LHR on the basis that you arrived in BA F and are connecting onto a BA flight. IB have been included as a result of them basically being the same airline in the same terminal.

In the T4 days, you couldn't use the CCR if connecting from BA F to, say, a KLM flight.
Genius1 is offline  
Old Oct 12, 18, 2:37 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: London
Programs: BA GGLfL, WoH Lifetime Globalist, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Posts: 506
If, as the OP describes, the OP has the misfortune to be travelling BA F to JFK, and then enduring the mess of the deadful T7, then I doubt the JFK CCR would want the OPís presence.

Doc Copper
DoctorCopper is offline  
Old Oct 12, 18, 3:01 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Betwixt SEA and LHR
Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, AS Gold MVP, IC RA, IHG Spire Elite, HH Diamond, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Posts: 1,346
Originally Posted by Genius1 View Post
In the T4 days, you couldn't use the CCR if connecting from BA F to, say, a KLM flight.
The pedant in me wants to say something about 'open doors' probably coming into play in those days... 😁

Is it actually codified into CCR access rules to not permit access at JFK on connections, or are we inferring this? I guess it's a very unlikely occurrence but I think it is technically possible that someone could arrive at T7 and have an onward Oneworld connection on IB or Qatar. Qantas too, but I think they've moved to T8 now. It's staggeringly unlikely I admit, but you know what some folk will do for TPs. 😀

Just an interesting situation I'd never really considered before.
opalfruit is offline  
Old Oct 12, 18, 3:06 pm
  #11  
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Leeds, UK
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Posts: 32,031
Originally Posted by opalfruit View Post


The pedant in me wants to say something about 'open doors' probably coming into play in those days... 😁

Is it actually codified into CCR access rules to not permit access at JFK on connections, or are we inferring this? I guess it's a very unlikely occurrence but I think it is technically possible that someone could arrive at T7 and have an onward Oneworld connection on IB or Qatar. Qantas too, but I think they've moved to T8 now. It's staggeringly unlikely I admit, but you know what some folk will do for TPs. 😀

Just an interesting situation I'd never really considered before.
yes the lounge eligibility guide is clear, itís only if you are connecting on to a BA flight, connecting on to a oneworld flight doesnít work. I suspect if you were arriving in to LHR in BA F and connecting to IB Fromm t5 they may be a little flexible tho.

in other trivia a CCR card holder can access the CCR at LHR/JFK if on any oneworld flight, so departing T7 on QF in Y would work if you have a ccr card.
KARFA is online now  
Old Oct 12, 18, 3:10 pm
  #12  
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Carbon Conscious Travel
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: London, UK
Posts: 20,740
Originally Posted by bkojote View Post
I have an upcoming flight that is unfortunately booked on British Airways first class from London Heathrow to JFK, with an onward connection to Los Angeles in Alaska Airlines first class, all under the same itinerary. Upon re-clearing the mess that is security in their dreadful terminal 7 for the domestic leg of the trip, will I be able to use the Concorde Room?
As others have responded, no access to any of the BA lounges but the Alaska lounge at T7 is an option
Prospero is offline  
Old Oct 12, 18, 3:12 pm
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: London, UK
Programs: BA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador
Posts: 14,771
Originally Posted by opalfruit View Post
[left]

The pedant in me wants to say something about 'open doors' probably coming into play in those days... ��

Is it actually codified into CCR access rules to not permit access at JFK on connections, or are we inferring this?
Open Doors only worked for BA Gold members travelling on non-oneworld flights, where they could access BA-operated business class lounges. It didn't extent to BA-operated first class lounges or CCRs.
Genius1 is offline  
Old Oct 12, 18, 3:20 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Betwixt SEA and LHR
Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, AS Gold MVP, IC RA, IHG Spire Elite, HH Diamond, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Posts: 1,346
EDIT: Oh, it was deleted? What happened? Genius1's last post had a scan of CCR access rules, which seemed to just confirm that those arriving in First can have access.
opalfruit is offline  
Old Oct 12, 18, 3:25 pm
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: London, UK
Programs: BA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador
Posts: 14,771
Originally Posted by opalfruit View Post
EDIT: Oh, it was deleted? What happened? Genius1's last post had a scan of CCR access rules, which seemed to just confirm that those arriving in First can have access.
That wasn't the transfers page. This is the transfers page:



CCR access is only permitted for BA F to BA (any cabin).

BA to non-BA oneworld doesn't give access; there is no mention in the rules about BA to non-oneworld:

Genius1 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: