Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Concorde Room Access in JFK on a BA/Alaska Ticket during layover.

Old Oct 12, 2018, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

I have an upcoming flight that is unfortunately booked on British Airways first class from London Heathrow to JFK, with an onward connection to Los Angeles in Alaska Airlines first class, all under the same itinerary. Upon re-clearing the mess that is security in their dreadful terminal 7 for the domestic leg of the trip, will I be able to use the Concorde Room?
Old Oct 12, 2018, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
No, you wont.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 2:19 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, AS Gold MVP, IC RA, IHG Spire Elite, HH Diamond, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Why wouldn't they have access? At LHR you get CCR access if you have arrived in F and are transiting onward in a lower class of service, why is this different at JFK T7?

My point being presuming the AS flight departs from T7 (most do, some do go from T8 though) and you're airside, and you have a BA F boarding pass from your inbound, why wouldn't you be allowed access?
Old Oct 12, 2018, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by opalfruit
Why wouldn't they have access? At LHR you get CCR access if you have arrived in F and are transiting onward in a lower class of service, why is this different at JFK T7?

My point being presuming the AS flight departs from T7 (most do, some do go from T8 though) and you're airside, and you have a BA F boarding pass from your inbound, why wouldn't you be allowed access?
CCR access on a LHR T5 connection is provided as the onward flight is on BA/IB.

Alaska Airlines is not BA/IB, let alone oneworld.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 2:24 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Honors Diamond

At a guess because AS aren't in OneWorld. My understanding is both flights have to be on OneWorld for access.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA
IMO because AS is not oneworld, and BA's inbound in F CCR rule is probably derived from the oneworld rule of incoming longhaul cabin. Haven't tried it, and wouldn't surprise me if this scenario isn't covered in the lounge eligibility guide. Wouldn't hurt to try, I suppose.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 2:33 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, AS Gold MVP, IC RA, IHG Spire Elite, HH Diamond, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
The CCR is infamously not a Oneworld lounge though. Access is granted at LHR not because onward flights are on BA/IB, but because you arrived on BA F.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The CCR is infamously not a Oneworld lounge though. Access is granted at LHR not because onward flights are on BA/IB, but because you arrived on BA F.
I agree that the two CCRs are not oneworld lounges.

Access is granted at LHR on the basis that you arrived in BA F and are connecting onto a BA flight. IB have been included as a result of them basically being the same airline in the same terminal.

In the T4 days, you couldn't use the CCR if connecting from BA F to, say, a KLM flight.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 2:37 pm

Programs: BA GGLfL, WoH Lifetime Globalist, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
If, as the OP describes, the OP has the misfortune to be travelling BA F to JFK, and then enduring the mess of the deadful T7, then I doubt the JFK CCR would want the OPs presence.

Doc Copper
Old Oct 12, 2018, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by Genius1
In the T4 days, you couldn't use the CCR if connecting from BA F to, say, a KLM flight.
The pedant in me wants to say something about 'open doors' probably coming into play in those days... 😁

Is it actually codified into CCR access rules to not permit access at JFK on connections, or are we inferring this? I guess it's a very unlikely occurrence but I think it is technically possible that someone could arrive at T7 and have an onward Oneworld connection on IB or Qatar. Qantas too, but I think they've moved to T8 now. It's staggeringly unlikely I admit, but you know what some folk will do for TPs. 😀

Just an interesting situation I'd never really considered before.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 3:06 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond

The pedant in me wants to say something about 'open doors' probably coming into play in those days... 😁

Is it actually codified into CCR access rules to not permit access at JFK on connections, or are we inferring this? I guess it's a very unlikely occurrence but I think it is technically possible that someone could arrive at T7 and have an onward Oneworld connection on IB or Qatar. Qantas too, but I think they've moved to T8 now. It's staggeringly unlikely I admit, but you know what some folk will do for TPs. 😀

Just an interesting situation I'd never really considered before.
yes the lounge eligibility guide is clear, its only if you are connecting on to a BA flight, connecting on to a oneworld flight doesnt work. I suspect if you were arriving in to LHR in BA F and connecting to IB Fromm t5 they may be a little flexible tho.

in other trivia a CCR card holder can access the CCR at LHR/JFK if on any oneworld flight, so departing T7 on QF in Y would work if you have a ccr card.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 3:10 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by bkojote
I have an upcoming flight that is unfortunately booked on British Airways first class from London Heathrow to JFK, with an onward connection to Los Angeles in Alaska Airlines first class, all under the same itinerary. Upon re-clearing the mess that is security in their dreadful terminal 7 for the domestic leg of the trip, will I be able to use the Concorde Room?
As others have responded, no access to any of the BA lounges but the Alaska lounge at T7 is an option
Old Oct 12, 2018, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[left]

The pedant in me wants to say something about 'open doors' probably coming into play in those days... ��

Is it actually codified into CCR access rules to not permit access at JFK on connections, or are we inferring this?
Open Doors only worked for BA Gold members travelling on non-oneworld flights, where they could access BA-operated business class lounges. It didn't extent to BA-operated first class lounges or CCRs.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 3:20 pm

EDIT: Oh, it was deleted? What happened? Genius1's last post had a scan of CCR access rules, which seemed to just confirm that those arriving in First can have access.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

EDIT: Oh, it was deleted? What happened? Genius1's last post had a scan of CCR access rules, which seemed to just confirm that those arriving in First can have access.
That wasn't the transfers page. This is the transfers page:

CCR access is only permitted for BA F to BA (any cabin).

BA to non-BA oneworld doesn't give access; there is no mention in the rules about BA to non-oneworld:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.