Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA CPT-MAD/BCN return in F for £667 - Biltong (now dead)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA CPT-MAD/BCN return in F for £667 - Biltong (now dead)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2018, 6:49 am

Quick question for those more knowledgeable on such things.

I flew CPT-BCN a couple of weeks back and have the return coming up in a couple of weeks.

I'm just wondering if it could be possible to break BCN-CPT into BCN-LHR and then LHR-CPT - keeping the long haul flight as is, but shifting the short haul to a week or so earlier?

Does that sound doable and if so is it likely to trigger a big change fee?

Any advice gratefully received!
Old Nov 29, 2018, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I tried exactly this - was going for several thousand extra ! I think it's different once you've flown the first leg. Call and enquire
Old Nov 30, 2018, 1:15 am

Originally Posted by Winchy78
Quick question for those more knowledgeable on such things.

I flew CPT-BCN a couple of weeks back and have the return coming up in a couple of weeks.

I'm just wondering if it could be possible to break BCN-CPT into BCN-LHR and then LHR-CPT - keeping the long haul flight as is, but shifting the short haul to a week or so earlier?

Does that sound doable and if so is it likely to trigger a big change fee?

Any advice gratefully received!
It is possible after you have flown the first segment without a fare recalculation.

Should add aprox. GBP 200 in taxes as a UK stopover triggers the departure tax imo.

Old Dec 8, 2018, 8:25 am

Thanks folks - just to confirm I did this and it was fine, only got charged the tax difference - I think 230 odd quid.

Took about 30mins on the phone, but was no problem.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 8:42 am

Programs: BA Gold, and others
Did the change as well, 6000 or something change fee before the first flight, but completely free after first segment flown. Kept the stopover to 23h30min or something (as opposed to the original 3 hours), so there were no tax implications either.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 9:32 am

Hey Guys,

​​​​​​reading here a long time before I registered.

I booked this fare for April. Does anybody have expirieneces if it is possible to check the luagge only to London? My connection time in London is just 2,5h hours. Traveling home from London would be much easier than from BCN ...
Old Jan 14, 2019, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by multivitamin
Hey Guys,

I booked this fare for April. Does anybody have expirieneces if it is possible to check the luagge only to London? My connection time in London is just 2,5h hours. Traveling home from London would be much easier than from BCN ...
Welcome to FT multivitamin

Policy is to check luggage to final destination. Is there a way you can go hand baggage only? Or see if you can get the price of the BCN to be moved from LGW / next day. I am sure this is easier once you've started your journey
Old Jan 14, 2019, 9:46 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Hey Guys,

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Welcome to FT multivitamin

Policy is to check luggage to final destination. Is there a way you can go hand baggage only? Or see if you can get the price of the BCN to be moved from LGW / next day. I am sure this is easier once you've started your journey
Thanks for joining us here at Flyertalk and more specifically on the BA Board multivitamin ^

Good advice from mikefly there but may I also emphasise his point, and as I understand it but I'm certainly no expert, best to try and change it perhaps AFTER you have flown the first leg. I'm sure one of fare rule experts may be along as it's really not my thing and it'll be interesting to read more comments on this.

However, you may also want to consider if it is possible to change the BCN date to a future date for use? @:-)

Welcome aboard!
Old Jan 14, 2019, 11:46 am

Handbage only is not possible so i have tried to change the leg LHR-BCN to another flight/date but then they do a ridiculous recalculation as someone mentioned before.
The Problem with changing after the first leg is, that i have only booked oneway CPT-LHR-BCN :-)

By the way, how many people flown this fare till now ? I assume that there will be no problems anymore.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 2:26 pm

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
Handbage only is not possible so i have tried to change the leg LHR-BCN to another flight/date but then they do a ridiculous recalculation as someone mentioned before.
The Problem with changing after the first leg is, that i have only booked oneway CPT-LHR-BCN :-)

By the way, how many people flown this fare till now ? I assume that there will be no problems anymore.

I know a fair few who have flown this now, I am heading out in April myself. You MIGHT be able to short check the bags as I was offered this at the F checkin at Joburg before but don't rely on it, The best option you probably have is to get off at London go to the BA desks in the baggage hall and say you wont be continuing the journey and want offloaded / get your luggage back. Its not a good idea to do this and is highly frowned upon but might be your only option.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 8:06 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
I think if the bag is checked in to BCN, due to it being T3-T3 if you go to BA and ask for it back during the connection you will be waiting a long LONG time, probably until sometime after the departure time of the BCN flight.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 11:51 am

Can you courier whatever cannot come in hand luggage home? Even if it adds another 50 or 100 quid, you're still getting an excellent first class deal.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 2:49 pm

Programs: BA: GOLD, MARRIOTT: TITANIUM, IHG: PLAT, HILTON: GOLD
I managed to snag this great deal, just before it was pulled. Few dates were still available and the only dates that suited was out on a Wednesday and back on the Thursday. I am taking 10.20 to BCN, 17.15 to LHR and then 21:10 to JNB. I wouldn't mind pushing the JNB flight back to the following day, however currently A0 for both A380 flights. I was thinking of getting back from BCN earlier to have more time in the CCR. Once I get to LHR I assume I can change flight easily, I arrive in BCN at 13.30, would I be able to back to back on the 14.15 if I made it back to the gate before boarding had finished?
Old Feb 11, 2019, 12:39 am
AJO

Programs: BA | A3 | AFKL | Hertz | SPG | Avis
Originally Posted by circusboy
I managed to snag this great deal, just before it was pulled. Few dates were still available and the only dates that suited was out on a Wednesday and back on the Thursday. I am taking 10.20 to BCN, 17.15 to LHR and then 21:10 to JNB. I wouldn't mind pushing the JNB flight back to the following day, however currently A0 for both A380 flights. I was thinking of getting back from BCN earlier to have more time in the CCR. Once I get to LHR I assume I can change flight easily, I arrive in BCN at 13.30, would I be able to back to back on the 14.15 if I made it back to the gate before boarding had finished?
I did a transfer in BCN yesterday (albeit from BA to VY); you should make it back to the gate in time easily (assuming you already checked-in online). To the left of the passport control in BCN, you'll find a transfer facility. Go through security (which is a dedicated transfer security, so mostly quiet); after security, turn left towards the D gates where BA parks. You should be back at the gate area in about 10-15 minutes after deplaning, assuming some power walking.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 12:43 am
AJO

Programs: BA | A3 | AFKL | Hertz | SPG | Avis
And just to add another data point: I flew on the BA54 JNB-LHR this Saturday night, then yesterday on the BA474 to BCN, successfully. Had a good seven hours of sleep on the A380, and really liked the hard product. So many thanks to BA for honoring this great deal ^
cgtechuk likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.