Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA CPT-MAD/BCN return in F for £667 - Biltong (now dead)

BA CPT-MAD/BCN return in F for £667 - Biltong (now dead)

Old Oct 16, 18, 2:23 am

Programs: Aeroplan (Silver), Air Miles, IHG Rewards (Platinum)
Before everyone gets excited, has anyone actually had their ticket cancelled? Mine is still intact, and it has been a few days...
Old Oct 16, 18, 2:30 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by YYC009 View Post
Before everyone gets excited, has anyone actually had their ticket cancelled? Mine is still intact, and it has been a few days...
Yes - it's been a few days - but I doubt anyone important at Waterside works the weekend, so we're only one working day in. I expect some graduate is composing the email which will be poorly written to accompany the cancellations
Old Oct 16, 18, 3:42 am

Programs: Flying Blue, BAEC Bronze LH Miles & More, Air Asia BigShot
Originally Posted by ottorockit View Post
I guess there are not that many tickets sold, maybe 40 as I may gable the numbers, based on some blogpost here and there and the short timeframe it was bookable. I guess BA will leave us happy or cancel. Don't make a big deal if they cancel and come with all laws etc. to defend the cancallation.

We all know this sale could be made by the intern who just made it a little to cheap

As we all know, there will be always a next big sale to keep our feets from the ground!
I read on OMAAT that it was already live for two days before being posted on their website. So my guestimation would be that there were some people who kept it to them selfs or in off-limit communities, until somebody “spilled the beans”.
Old Oct 16, 18, 5:27 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post

I read on OMAAT that it was already live for two days before being posted on their website. So my guestimation would be that there were some people who kept it to them selfs or in off-limit communities, until somebody “spilled the beans”.
There are "underground" groups who share good fares among themselves via various means (PMs on FT, Whatsapp, Facebook etc) to prevent it being opened up to the masses via the blogs or on FT. Once that happens, the fare gets too much publicity therefore gets shut down quickly by the airlines.
Markie and nancypants like this.
Old Oct 16, 18, 6:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, AA EXP, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, AmEx Cent, Misc Hotel Bling, Moms love me
Originally Posted by rossmacd View Post
There are "underground" groups who share good fares among themselves via various means (PMs on FT, Whatsapp, Facebook etc) to prevent it being opened up to the masses via the blogs or on FT. Once that happens, the fare gets too much publicity therefore gets shut down quickly by the airlines.
I can confirm these groups exist, many spearheaded by prominent bloggers. It's why I giggle so much when people comment on blogs thanking the bloggers for so generously sharing fares with them. In many cases, they've already been played out by that point...
Markie, PrimaVista and nancypants like this.
Old Oct 17, 18, 9:15 am

Is this the first time we are actually getting the error fare!
Old Oct 17, 18, 9:18 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA Gold
Originally Posted by Yiran Liu View Post

No one knows but please stop using the E Word, Its jts a very good deal :-)
Old Oct 17, 18, 9:19 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by cgtechuk View Post
no one knows but please stop using the e word, its jts a very good deal :-)
flash sale
cgtechuk likes this.
Old Oct 17, 18, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Viking was honoured.
Old Oct 17, 18, 9:29 am

It sure seems like it.

May be giving to much credit here, but they may have researched this a bit and given the (perhaps relatively few) # of tickets and chance some proportion will end up voluntarily cancelling (many booked in rush) since it's refundable, perhaps it's not worth canceling these all out?
I also don't see the point of them waiting until t-7 days of departure to cancel (as some alluded to upthread). That's just blocking F inventory unnecessarily.
Old Oct 17, 18, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Just to add when Viking was honoured an email went out from BA to confirm it to all customers who booked - and that happened within a week. For other fares not honoured BA cancelled tickets and sent and email out again within a week.

I am surprised BA have been silent on this so far and I would have expected them to say something either way by now. I don't think one can take silence as a sign of acquiescence.
Old Oct 17, 18, 9:38 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, AA EXP, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, AmEx Cent, Misc Hotel Bling, Moms love me
Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
I am surprised BA have been silent on this so far and I would have expected them to say something either way by now. I don't think one can take silence as a sign of acquiescence.
Perhaps that's their strategy: be unpredictable and keep us guessing

and re: error do folks really think it makes a difference what we say? a fare that has "THESE FARES VALID FOR ECONOMY CLASS TRAVEL" is clearly an error, regardless if we want to admit it.
Old Oct 17, 18, 9:42 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by ironmanjt View Post
I can confirm these groups exist, many spearheaded by prominent bloggers. It's why I giggle so much when people comment on blogs thanking the bloggers for so generously sharing fares with them. In many cases, they've already been played out by that point...
Remind me, what's the first rule of secret-fare-sharing-group?
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Oct 17, 18, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
No, of course not. There are more error fares than you might think, and many of them go unchallenged by BA. Or unnoticed, even, by the bulk of FTers other than that they're good value fares.
Old Oct 17, 18, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, EK, IHG, SPG
I know from my regular chats with Qatar that a couple of the exceptional deals we saw over the last couple of years were mistakes including the £1300 Manchester to Auckland deal earlier this year (of which, to give you an idea of volume, 125 were booked purely via the affiliate links on HFP). However, because the Qatar website automatically looks for cheap deals and then flags them up as best deals, it has little choice but to honour them.
plunet likes this.

Search this Thread