FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Terrible Airplane (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1935110-terrible-airplane.html)

Markx Oct 11, 2018 3:21 pm

Terrible Airplane

Wow...flew back from Vancouver this week on what must have been one of the original 747's ever made....A scruffy dirty plane which cannot have been cleaned for years...add to that the most miserable Team leader on the cabin and it made for a preet dismal experience...BA really is going down and down....they are a laughing stock of a flag carrier

frandrake Oct 11, 2018 3:39 pm

While I do share the pain for some poorly maintained aircrafts (including A380s, some are filthy) and I do agree teams are hit and miss, overall looking at European flag carriers of countries of comparable size, I think BA still stands out.

AF is embarrassing, AZ on the brink of collapse and LH, well, I have experienced first hand several HORRIBLE experiences across the line to the point I'd rather fly EZY than getting on one our their planes.

Speedbird676 Oct 11, 2018 3:40 pm

BA don’t have any “airplanes”, only aeroplanes.

Genius1 Oct 11, 2018 3:42 pm

It sounds like you were unlucky and were flying on one of the 52J configured 744s; there are 18 of these in service. Those that aren't being retired in the next few months are being refurbished with new seat covers in WT/WTP, although only some are receiving the new Panasonic IFE system.

The 18 744s configured with 86J seats were fully refurbished last year with the new Panasonic IFE system, carpets, curtains and mood lighting throughout, and new seat covers in WT/WTP.

All aircraft are allegedly receiving deep cleans more often; it's disappointing that this doesn't appear to be the case.

Deltus Oct 11, 2018 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by Speedbird676 (Post 30305129)
BA don’t have any “airplanes”, only aeroplanes.

From the title, I thought this thread was going to criticise the greatest aviation comedy ever to hit our screens!

memesweeper Oct 11, 2018 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by Deltus (Post 30305224)
From the title, I thought this thread was going to criticise the greatest aviation comedy ever to hit our screens!

Surely you can’t be serious?

Phil the Flyer Oct 11, 2018 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by Markx (Post 30305069)
Wow...flew back from Vancouver this week on what must have been one of the original 747's ever made...

I am open to correction but I believe BA’s oldest 747s currently in service were delivered more than 28 years ago - while Margaret Thatcher was still British PM! Both the airline and the country have gone downhill since then. :rolleyes:

CosmosHuman Oct 11, 2018 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by memesweeper (Post 30305290)

Surely you can’t be serious?

And, don’t call me Shirley.

I couldn’t resist. Sorry.

trooper Oct 11, 2018 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer (Post 30305322)

I am open to correction but I believe BA’s oldest 747s currently in service were delivered more than 28 years ago - while Margaret Thatcher was still British PM! Both the airline and the country have gone downhill since then. :rolleyes:

Maybe so.... but the OP claimed it was one of the "original 747s"...so that would be what? 48 years old? A real vintage experience!

navylad Oct 11, 2018 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by trooper (Post 30305379)
Maybe so.... but the OP claimed it was one of the "original 747s"...so that would be what? 48 years old? A real vintage experience!

perhaps rhe Op could confirm, did the plane have a spiral staircase?

mwalsh Oct 11, 2018 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by navylad (Post 30305398)
perhaps rhe Op could confirm, did the plane have a spiral staircase?

I used to love those! Remember at one time it was just lowly economy up there, and only about 8 rows of seats.

PJSMITH0 Oct 11, 2018 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by Markx (Post 30305069)
Wow...flew back from Vancouver this week on what must have been one of the original 747's ever made....A scruffy dirty plane which cannot have been cleaned for years...add to that the most miserable Team leader on the cabin and it made for a preet dismal experience...BA really is going down and down....they are a laughing stock of a flag carrier

Just out of interest why didn’t you fly with a star alliance airline and how can you judge BA on one aircraft?

RGS5526 Oct 11, 2018 5:40 pm

Originally posted by mwalsh:

I used to love those! Remember at one time it was just lowly economy up there, and only about 8 rows of seats.

The only time I was up there in those days I noticed that the seats were the ones that could be switched between two-abreast and three-abreast.

Forever in Seattle Oct 11, 2018 7:13 pm

BA85/84, the YVR route has been served by Mid J 744's recently, so no surprise to anyone that the OP said the aircraft from a customers view of the hard product was rubbish.

SQTraveller Oct 11, 2018 7:24 pm

This only reinforces my view they should get rid of the 747 and replace with the 380.

I love the 747, but after flying the a380 the last 5 years on various airlines, it's clear the 747 is way past it's prime - maybe the same could be said about BA? HAHAHA

Let's keep the 747 as a flying museum for those enthusiasts and please put a380s on for other passengers :)