Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Terrible Airplane

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2018, 8:59 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
I still have my fingers crossed that my LAX-LHR trip home at Christmas either gets switched back to the originally scheduled 86J, or if it does remain a 52J, that not only will it have deep clean, but that they also upgrade the IFE at the same time.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 1:35 am

Programs: BA Gold; Swiss Blue
Originally Posted by navylad
perhaps the Op could confirm, did the plane have a spiral staircase?
Originally Posted by mwalsh
I used to love those! Remember at one time it was just lowly economy up there, and only about 8 rows of seats.
I used to love and loath them... first job when I left school was loading the catering onto 747's at PIK in the 80's
Used to have to carry the equipment carriers full of the the drinks up those spiral staircases for NW
There was only enough room for the bar and my knuckles were regularly skinned.
Health and Safety would not allow such things these days.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 1:49 am

Originally Posted by Speedbird676
BA don’t have any “airplanes”, only aeroplanes.
it's "airplanes" according to Boeing, "aircraft" according to Airbus. No one calls them "aeroplanes".
Old Oct 12, 2018, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Yeoman5
No one calls them "aeroplanes".
Au contraire, Blackadder. G-INFO's register information for G-BYGA says a "Large Aeroplane".

Last edited by Globaliser; Feb 27, 2019 at 8:23 am
Old Oct 12, 2018, 2:07 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
it's "airplanes" according to Boeing, "aircraft" according to Airbus. No one calls them "aeroplanes".
And yet, on this side of the pond, in the UK, Boeing and Airbus products are aeroplanes

(This is why I'm particularly glad that, in all my recent work software projects, I didn't have to deal with localisation. Once was enough.)
Old Oct 12, 2018, 2:26 am

The use of "aeroplane" reminds me of some toff from the 1960s. Presumably wearing a sports jacket and tie (or short trousers).

"Oooh look Daddy there comes the aeroplane".
Old Oct 12, 2018, 2:30 am

Originally Posted by thebigben
And yet, on this side of the pond, in the UK, Boeing and Airbus products are aeroplanes

(This is why I'm particularly glad that, in all my recent work software projects, I didn't have to deal with localisation. Once was enough.)
My comment just comes from personal experience, though I have to correct myself. Boeing refer to both airplanes (fixed wing) and aircraft (rotary wing) , but I've not heard them refer to "aeroplanes" in Frimley, Renton, Brize Norton, Charleston, Gosport, Bristol, Huntington Beach, or Mesa.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 2:32 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Au contraire, Blackadder. This is G-INFO's register information for G-BYGA, a "Large Aeroplane":-
It looks like the chart shows "aircraft", not "aeroplane". I'll pop into Specsavers at lunchtime and get my eyes checked. ;-)

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Mar 1, 2019 at 6:45 am Reason: Image removed at original author's request
Old Oct 12, 2018, 2:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
it's "airplanes" according to Boeing ...
Boeing refer to both airplanes (fixed wing) and aircraft (rotary wing) ...
You'll no doubt have noticed that Boeing is based on the other side of the "common language" divide.

"Aircraft" includes but is not limited to aeroplanes/airplanes.
It looks like the chart shows "aircraft", not "aeroplane". I'll pop into Specsavers at lunchtime and get my eyes checked. ;-)
In the meantime, try and look for this in that listing:-
AIRCRAFT CLASS: FIXED-WING LANDPLANE
EASA CATEGORY: CS-25: Large Aeroplane
Old Oct 12, 2018, 4:41 am

I haven't been in a "messy" plane for so long... didn't think it was possible that a plane would be dirty! Horrible if its a long flight
Old Oct 12, 2018, 4:59 am

Programs: BA Executive Club - Silver (OWS)
My comment just comes from personal experience, though I have to correct myself. Boeing refer to both airplanes (fixed wing) and aircraft (rotary wing) , but I've not heard them refer to "aeroplanes" in Frimley, Renton, Brize Norton, Charleston, Gosport, Bristol, Huntington Beach, or Mesa.
In the industry we tend to only refer to aircraft. In layman's terms, aeroplane is the correct British English.

The UK Civil Aviation Authority, who issue BA's AOC, call them aeroplanes:
https://www.caa.co.uk/Commercial-ind...or-aeroplanes/

Ratings for aeroplanes

Guidance for professional pilots

Last edited by Speedbird676; Oct 12, 2018 at 5:07 am
Old Oct 12, 2018, 5:22 am

Originally Posted by mwalsh
I used to love those! Remember at one time it was just lowly economy up there, and only about 8 rows of seats.
Oh yes, the start of my business flying days. Always managed to grab front row aisle or window upstairs on my monthly rotation to/from YYZ – tiny cabin on the classic and that front row had about 15 feet of legroom to the cockpit door. You also had an interrupted view of the only TV screen hanging from the ceiling And given business class back then hadn’t even made it to the cradle seat, WTP+ was something for Virgin and no-one else – not knowing any better, it really was rather nice
Old Oct 12, 2018, 5:24 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by trooper
Maybe so.... but the OP claimed it was one of the "original 747s"...so that would be what? 48 years old? A real vintage experience!
OK, I’ve obviously got too much time on my hands. A quick fact check is often useful.

Starting 1 October 2018 BA84 YVR LHR has been operated by G-CIV* (* = P, A, T, K, L, L, E, A, L, E, E) - source FR24.

All of these aircraft / aeroplanes / airplanes were delivered to BA between March 1993 and March 1998, making the age of the OP’s metal between 20 and 25 years old.

Of course, as everyone knows, the first 747-operated commercial flight was on 21 January 1970 - almost 49 years ago. So, although dirty, it’s not ‘one of the original 747’s ever made’ (which would have been a 747-100).
Speedbird676 likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 6:56 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club, Virgin Flying Club
Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer
Starting 1 October 2018 BA84 YVR LHR has been operated by G-CIV* (* = P, A, T, K, L, L, E, A, L, E, E) - source FR24.
I assume then the OP was on C-IVE then (assuming the flight was in the last two days). I had the misfortune of C-IVE to JFK in August, and it was disgustingly filthy.

I checked at the time and I believe C-IVE came into service in 1994, so not only is it not an original 747 (with three upper deck windows), it's not even an original 747-400
Old Oct 12, 2018, 7:47 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Speedbird676
BA don’t have any “airplanes”, only aeroplanes.
The Boeing 747 is an American aircraft and so using the American 'airplane' is not unreasonable. Nor is it necessary to make a grammar police citizen's arrest for using 'plane', 'aeroplane', 'jet', 'airliner' etc etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.