Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Anyone flying GIG-LHR in the very near future

Old Oct 11, 18, 4:45 am
Original Poster

Hello

Odd request and mods feel free to remove it if it is not appropriate/allowed. I am an artist and created an installation on police violence in Rio de Janeiro. It's called Outros Registros, you can read more on outrosregistros.wordpress.com
I am going to show it in London in November but unfortunately, part of the equipment is still in Rio de Janeiro. It was supposed to come back with some people in September but miscommunication messed that up so I need to find a way to get it over to the UK. Sending it back via DHL is prohibitively expensive (we are talking about 8 speakers and stands at a combined weight of around 70 kilos in three boxes). Is there any kind soul who is travelling from Rio to London in the coming weeks who might be able to take these boxes with him/her. I can obviously pick them up at Heathrow.
Old Oct 11, 18, 5:52 am
DVT

Programs: BA Gold
Good luck, but I doubt you'll get many takers to bring back random stuff from South America.
Old Oct 11, 18, 6:17 am
Original Poster

The organisation that has the equipment now has a good reputation but indeed, it's a long shot.
Old Oct 11, 18, 6:20 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
Have you looked into renting here in the UK? I doubt anyone would take such a risk...
Old Oct 11, 18, 6:38 am
Original Poster

Yes, but we cannot find what we need. Unfortunately, this is an almost-zero-budget project. I tried getting it on loan from a University but they have not got back to me. So I am now trying to find alternative ways to get the equipment from Brazil.
Old Oct 11, 18, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by Thinksamuel View Post
Yes, but we cannot find what we need. Unfortunately, this is an almost-zero-budget project. I tried getting it on loan from a University but they have not got back to me. So I am now trying to find alternative ways to get the equipment from Brazil.
the cheapest option will probably be for you to fly down and get it yourself. good luck
Old Oct 11, 18, 7:29 am

Programs: BA (GOLD), VS
So you need a mug with Gold flying in F so they can have your 3 boxes plus one of their own bags of their own or a gold in CW with no bags of their own to check in.

Let alone finding a mug to bring them in for you - they will be the one having to deal with customs etc if they decide to take an interest in some miscellaneous electrical equipment from South America
Old Oct 11, 18, 7:42 am

The cheapest option (bar finding someone to carry them for you) would be to find a proper freight agent. They will almost certainly be cheaper than DHL/other courier company for this size shipment.

Unfortunately it is not an area I deal with (more Africa, Asia, North America and Australia) but the cheaper options should be some of the big boys like Schenkers or Kuhne & Nagel.

One thing to watch out for whether you go DHL or freight option is duty/tax on arrival. If these are coming back you will need some proof they left in the first place (export customs entry or courier AWB and invoice). If they are coming in temporarily you may need something like a carnet to avoid a large bill.
Old Oct 11, 18, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HH, MR elite. Fly mostly AA/WN/B6.
"Sir, did you pack all your luggage yourself?"

"No. Not those three boxes, weighing 70kg."

"Who packed them, sir?"

"A guy I met on the Internet who was very insistent I check them through to London."

"Sir, would you step out of line, please? I'm going to have to keep your passport..."
lavajava likes this.
Old Oct 11, 18, 8:32 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Marriott LTPP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by BearX220 View Post

"Who packed them, sir?"

"A guy I met on the Internet who was very insistent I check them through to London."

"Sir, would you step out of line, please? I'm going to have to keep your passport..."
"Sir, could you please explain why there is a small package containing what looks like talcum powder or self raising flour in one of the speakers"?
Old Oct 11, 18, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by BearX220 View Post

"Who packed them, sir?"

and thats how i got a free trip to Guantanamo Bay!
Old Oct 11, 18, 9:30 am

Programs: BA- blue, BD,DL
Arriving in LHR from Rio we all had to disembark down the steps and be sniffed at by the drugs dog before getting in the bus to the terminal. Just saying.
Old Oct 11, 18, 9:40 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Marriott Silver Elite.
If budget is the real issue here, would the OP be able to consider crowdfunding? I'm not sure if that works in a short term situation.
Takiteasy likes this.
Old Oct 11, 18, 11:51 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK Elite
Originally Posted by highpeaklad View Post
Arriving in LHR from Rio we all had to disembark down the steps and be sniffed at by the drugs dog before getting in the bus to the terminal. Just saying.
That's nice. Did you get to pet the dogs?
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Oct 11, 18, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Azul/OW ?
Originally Posted by DVT View Post
Good luck, but I doubt you'll get many takers to bring back random stuff from South America.

I wouldn't even expect a stranger to bring me my favourite Condor pipe tobacco from Europe to here. I was going to suggest he ask an airline to sponsor the event however given the exhibition topic there's no chance of that happening.

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: