Wiki Posts
Search

Replacement cabin bag that fits BA

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2018, 9:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Rewards, BAPP
Replacement cabin bag that fits BA

For the past 5 years I've been using my Morpheus grey 20 roller bag for my hand baggage only trips on BA. It is absolutely ideal, it's light and easy to fit in the overhead as well being expandable. Very handy to fit in the fabric for the wife (payment for letting me go!).
Unfortunately, it has now just about come to the end of it's life and a need to replace it. I would love to get a new Morpheus but it appears to be out of production now.
Could I ask what is your favourite HBO bag for BA. I don't fancy the one's that have the piddly four wheels, they look decidedly fragile, although I fear they maybe the only option.

Regards

AQ
Old Oct 10, 2018, 10:22 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Sixt Gold
I use a Tumi Alpha 2 expandable which is perfect for short haul as it fits into overhead bins (including E170s), while it also provides a useful expansions when travelling long haul as expanded it still fits even the small B744 overhead bins.

There is a 2 wheels options as well, which is also slightly more capacious.
Down the back likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 10:48 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HHonors Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Silver
I also do not like four wheel bags and recently purchased a Samsonite X'blade 3.0 Upright Expandable (2 wheels) 55cm for short trips when I only need hand luggage. Seems to do the job, has a TSA lock for the main compartment, is very light and comes with a five year worldwide warranty. I have other Samsonite luggage, have received great customer service in the past and it is much cheaper that Tumi - remember Samsonite and Tumi now have the same owner. Currently available directly from Samsonite UK for £125.30 with free delivery saving £53.70.

Last edited by Yellowbelly; Oct 10, 2018 at 10:49 am Reason: Spelling
Old Oct 10, 2018, 11:09 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze; ALL Gold
My carry-ons of choice are the John Lewis & Partners Greenwich 2 two-wheelers - there's a 45cm wide one (meets BA and EZ regs) for maximum capacity on planes that have full-size bins, and another 36cm wide for when you need to take less. For the E190 Samsonite Short-Lite 20x40x55cm fits neatly, sideways.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 11:09 am

Gilbert ‘flight’ bag it’s perfect. Mines RFU oases but they are only £40 or so (even less if you order 17 or more!)
Old Oct 10, 2018, 11:47 am

I've sold folks more than one of these:

Tom Bihn Tri-Star

It will fit under the seat on small planes, and your "personal item" can go in the overhead bin.

Tom Bihn should give me an affiliate deal.
ilcannone and Thomathy like this.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 12:20 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
I got a Samsonite monster that is the max dimensions BA allows. It is a gigantic beast that will easily accommodate 1-2 weeks worth of gear: Samsonite - B-lite 3 Spinner, 56cm- Black:https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00TOUSYFK/
ukflo likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 12:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by Yellowbelly
I also do not like four wheel bags and recently purchased a Samsonite X'blade 3.0 Upright Expandable (2 wheels) 55cm for short trips when I only need hand luggage. Seems to do the job, has a TSA lock for the main compartment, is very light and comes with a five year worldwide warranty. I have other Samsonite luggage, have received great customer service in the past and it is much cheaper that Tumi - remember Samsonite and Tumi now have the same owner. Currently available directly from Samsonite UK for £125.30 with free delivery saving £53.70.
Your comment about Samsonite and Tumi saddens me. I stopped buying Samsonite after buying lots of their black label luggage due to their non-existent repairs support. Tumi excel at this. I don’t want to guess which way this is going, butI am looking at Rimowa catalogues.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 12:56 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Just a word of caution regarding bag size. Different airlines apply different limits.

BA: 56 x 45 x 25 cm (22 x 18 x 10 in)
AA: 56 x 36 x 23 cm (22 x 14 x 9 in)
CX: 56 x 36 x 23 cm (22 x 14 x 9 in)
QR: 50 x 37 x 25 cm (20 x 15 x 10 in)
Old Oct 10, 2018, 1:09 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, Hilton Gold, Nordic Choice Gold
I am big fan of my Samsonite Prodigy 55cm 4 wheel spinner. It is a hard care with a fold out front pocket which means you can get at your laptop & iPad without rummaging through your clothes. It has a TSA lock and they do an expandable version too.

I got mine from Luggage Superstore (free luggage scales too).
Old Oct 10, 2018, 2:00 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, Hyatt Prive, Hilton Impressario, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Roswood Elite, MO Fan Club
Rimowa salsa

end of
flyerkit likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 2:48 pm

Programs: BA GGL, A3 Gold, M&M SEN, FlyingBlue Gold, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Amb
Originally Posted by Prospero
Just a word of caution regarding bag size. Different airlines apply different limits.

BA: 56 x 45 x 25 cm (22 x 18 x 10 in)
AA: 56 x 36 x 23 cm (22 x 14 x 9 in)

CX: 56 x 36 x 23 cm (22 x 14 x 9 in)
QR: 50 x 37 x 25 cm (20 x 15 x 10 in)
This is interesting - the size of luggage items taken onboard (particularly domestic) AA flights never ceases to amaze me. I would never think AA is less generous than BA in that!
Mirp and mpkz like this.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 2:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by ILikePancakes
I got a Samsonite monster that is the max dimensions BA allows. It is a gigantic beast that will easily accommodate 1-2 weeks worth of gear: Samsonite - B-lite 3 Spinner, 56cm- Black:https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00TOUSYFK/
+1 - brilliant bag, spacious and light. Fits the BA bag sizer exactly.

Rimowa make one the exact same size too but it’s much heavier than the Samsonite.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 4:07 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Use one of these in silver. Recently on sale in Hour of Fraser for £275 normally £650. It has been dented to hell by baggage handlers and I simply bash it back out. Shows the damage caused by baggage handlers. I'd never use a fabric case anymore. I bought for £370 and consider it worth it.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 4:15 pm

Programs: Status with BA Exec Club; KrisFlyer; Hilton Honors; IHG One; Marriott Bonvoy
If you’d like an alternative U.K. brand, Gate 8 have a range which are superb. They have a suit carrier with detachable laptop/personal item bag which quite unbelievably fits overhead on a Flybe dash eight (laptop bag under seat). Served me well for years. They also have a couple of larger more conventional cabin bags - I have a Cabin mate which I use on BA , and the Crew mate looks excellent. Almost the whole range are two wheelers and have practical extras like a clear toiletries bag that Velcro’s to the top inside of the main bag for easy reach at security. They look smart too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.