Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Second leg LGW-AMS got cancelled: please advise

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2018, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: British Airlines silver member

There’s nothing wrong with the weather. All flights are leaving

We are flying from MCO to LGW tonight. When we checked in we found out our flight from LGW was cancelled (5 minutes after received an email).The wanted us to travel from LGW to LHR by bus. Told them I absolutely didn’t wanted this (2,5 hour stopover, changing airports with bags on a bus etc). When my tears started going they told us they had 2 seats left on a later flight out of LGW. We took it. I just want to go to my girls asap, but don’t want stress of running to 1 airport after another.
Any advice about how to proceed? Do I get compensation? Normally I wouldn’t care about compensation (see my post about loosing our bag and my last about being booked in lower class. I am so done with having bad luck.
My app says cancelled because of bad weather, but it’s going to be vert nice in LGW and AMS (see attachement).

Can someone please advise me? We are rebooked on BA2762. No possibility to get to AMS sooner probably?
Old Oct 9, 2018, 3:43 pm

Well if you want to get to AMS earlier your options are either:

- take BA's offer of the LHR flight, but you don't want to do that

- book the easyJet flight from LGW at 12.55 for approx £95 each. BA won't pay the cost of that, but I think you would get a small amount back for your cancelled flight to offset it. Not sure you want the hassle of dealing with that

As such, I'd guess your preferred option is to take the 16.00 flight BA have rebooked you on.

Deal with the compensation question later. If the cancellation isn't directly the result of weather, you may be entitled to it. Put in a claim when you get home and see. Don't bank on it though.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 3:49 pm

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
Odd indeed as both London and AMS show great weather for tomorrow. Experflyer shows cancellation code WEAN = due to weather with no compensation payable.
Would suggest you follow the suggestions above, don’t stress about it, go back to your girls in a good mood, and come back here to discuss compensation once you are safely home!
Old Oct 9, 2018, 3:51 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I note the morning U2 flights LGW-AMS also seem to be cancelled so there definitely seems to be something going on.

EDIT: in fact there are quite a lot of cancellations from 0700 onwards tomorrow, particularly for U2, on a variety of routes.

Weather at LGW seems foggy overnight but that is predicted to clear by 0600. At AMS there also seems to be a prediction of fog around 0300-0700. I can’t see weather between the two airports- that could have an impact as well.

Last edited by KARFA; Oct 9, 2018 at 3:59 pm
Old Oct 9, 2018, 3:52 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
The aircraft could be stuck somewhere else where there is bad weather.
LondonElite likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 3:54 pm

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
Originally Posted by Sealink
The aircraft could be stuck somewhere else where there is bad weather.
could be indeed but then it would be very cheeky of BA to indicate weather as source of cancellation and no compo payable.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 3:56 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
The aircraft could be stuck somewhere else where there is bad weather. No wait this is tomorrow... The aircraft will be due in from somewhere, maybe that's the problem...
Old Oct 9, 2018, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

The aircraft could be stuck somewhere else where there is bad weather. No wait this is tomorrow... The aircraft will be due in from somewhere, maybe that's the problem...
But if this is the problem they should compensate, or am I wrong? They told me to deal with it in LGW. If the aircraft is stuck somewere is should be compensated or due in from somewere should be compensated to, or am I wrong?
Old Oct 9, 2018, 4:18 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by fromHollandwithlove
But if this is the problem they should compensate, or am I wrong?
If it is weather related - and I am going to assume it is an Air Traffic Control restriction due to predicted fog - then there is no compensation. And there never has been, at least as long as I have been flying, which is unfortunately more than 5 decades. There would be important and obvious safety reasons for this cancellation I suspect . And, if you want to learn more, there is a special thread about fog in the Dashboard.

It's annoying but not unusual at this time of year. A transfer to LHR isn't so bad, some of us old lags do it quite frequently and it's reasonably efficient. But if you now have a very long connection at LGW you could consider taking the train to Brighton and having fish and chips by the sea.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 4:19 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
If it's a weather cancellation, you won't get compensation. Anyway that's not the issue really, it's a question of which flight you take. You can deal with any compensation later.

Personally I'd take the 16:00, but if you're in early LHR is worth a look if the option is still available. I agree it's hassle to get to LHR, but possibly not as much as you think as the National Express coach is extremely good and takes you terminal to terminal, takes something like an hour and your bags will carried in the luggage compartment. It's maybe better to spend an hour or two travelling on a coach than four hours stuck in the departure lounge.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 4:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Takiteasy
Odd indeed as both London and AMS show great weather for tomorrow. Experflyer shows cancellation code WEAN = due to weather with no compensation payable.
Would suggest you follow the suggestions above, don’t stress about it, go back to your girls in a good mood, and come back here to discuss compensation once you are safely home!
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
If it is weather related - and I am going to assume it is an Air Traffic Control restriction due to predicted fog - then there is no compensation. And there never has been, at least as long as I have been flying, which is unfortunately more than 5 decades. There would be important and obvious safety reasons for this cancellation I suspect . And, if you want to learn more, there is a special thread about fog in the Dashboard.

It's annoying but not unusual at this time of year. A transfer to LHR isn't so bad, some of us old lags do it quite frequently and it's reasonably efficient. But if you now have a very long connection at LGW you could consider taking the train to Brighton and having fish and chips by the sea.
Thanks for your information and help. I will just deal with it and accept that I won’t be home at the time I promissed my girls to be home. They will get over it like me. Hopefully I will have a good flight and a good sleep.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 4:58 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold

But if this is the problem they should compensate, or am I wrong? They told me to deal with it in LGW. If the aircraft is stuck somewere is should be compensated or due in from somewere should be compensated to, or am I wrong?
How you getting on CK? Any luck?
Old Oct 9, 2018, 5:04 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Easyjet have tweeted tonight to expect delays and cancellations on Gatwick flights due to ATC slot restrictions as a result of anticipated fog,
Old Oct 9, 2018, 5:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GlasgowCyclops
How you getting on CK? Any luck?
nope, no luck here
Old Oct 9, 2018, 5:17 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold

nope, no luck here
Not good. I see you're on twitter looking for answers. Im SkiC on there as you may have guessed

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.