Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The missing muffin (WT/WTP catering difference on long haul flights)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2018, 10:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver

Further to a recent trip in WTP from ICN (Seoul) to LHR, I noticed passengers in both WTP and WT were provided with a very similar second meal during the flight, in the form of a hot dish accompanied by a fruit salad.

However, those passengers in WT were additionally provided with a muffin as part of this meal, which wasn’t provided to those passengers in WTP.

I wasn’t particularly fussed about missing out on a muffin (saving a few calories!), but it just seemed a little strange that those in a more premium cabin were served a less substantial meal to those in a lower cabin?

Was this a one off event, or is this a systematic feature of long haul catering in WT/WTP?

To be fair, the passengers in WTP had the second meal served on a tray, as opposed to those passengers in WT who got given the meal in a box. Still, not sure this compensates for the lack of a muffin! 😀
Old Oct 9, 2018, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
The WT second meal is better than the plus one, we are still waiting to hear about the plus improvements.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 10:30 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
That is odd indeed. I'd rather have the muffin and a plastic tray! But then fewer calories won't hurt me...
Old Oct 9, 2018, 12:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Whilst I haven't experienced the muffin deficit, I currently find the WTP meals disappointing - I'm pretty sure I recall a better choice (e.g. beef, chicken or pasta) and it being more CW quality. However it still beats AA PE food... .
Old Oct 9, 2018, 12:50 pm

I had only one experience flying BA WTP returning to LHR from JFK in the morning flight almost one year ago. Breakfast was served after take off - the trays were handed and the crew left to serve the WT cabin leaving us dry for the entire meal.

BA WTP breakfast, morning flight JFK LHR - no coffee or tea for the duration of the meal, only the bottle of water and a mini pack of processed "orange juice".

By the time they came back everyone had finished their food and only then coffee, tea etc. were offered. Almost seven hours later we were handed the most pathetic "meal" I have ever seen on a plane - a miniscule pack with five crisps and a micro Mars bar.

While the seat itself was not bad, the memory of the meal and the "service" around it do not make me want to fly BA WTP again.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Was the seatbelt signs on as you should have been served tea or coffee when you received your breakfast tray?
Old Oct 9, 2018, 3:41 pm

Hardly dry....I can see a juice cuplet and a bottle of water.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by Can I help you
Was the seatbelt signs on as you should have been served tea or coffee when you received your breakfast tray?
Seatbelt signs were off. The crew handed the meals and left for the WT cabin, returning for coffee and tea once everyone's food had been eaten.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by Britflyer18
Hardly dry....I can see a juice cuplet and a bottle of water.
Hi Britflyer18,

When I said dry I was referring to the tea and coffee that one would expected would have been served with the breakfast meal, not the bottle of water and cuplet that were pre-placed on the tray. In a nutshell, there was only one drink service once the meals had already been eaten.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 6:02 am

Ok, thanks for clearing that up. BA service standards are that tea and coffee are done after a hot breakfast main meal. So if there is a cup on your tray, tea and coffee will follow once all the trays have been delivered to the customer. If no cup then tea and coffee is delivered in a paper/deli cup with the meal. Hope that clears it up for you.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 9:45 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
The tendency to serve a small ration of tea or coffee right at the end of the meal truly is one of the oddities about BA. In most other ways they're still Beverage Airways especially with the booze, but their parsimony with the caffeinated hot beverages is long-standing - even in the premium cabins.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 3:34 pm

Well, billyb, you say you’re not bothered but please put in a complaint as we need to know what a muffin is worth in Avios.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 2:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Greenpen
Well, billyb, you say you’re not bothered but please put in a complaint as we need to know what a muffin is worth in Avios.
Haha, nothing less than 100,000 avios would suffice! 😂😂
Old Oct 17, 2018, 11:18 am

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Diamond; Sprüngli Connaisseur
Originally Posted by flatlander
The tendency to serve a small ration of tea or coffee right at the end of the meal truly is one of the oddities about BA. In most other ways they're still Beverage Airways especially with the booze, but their parsimony with the caffeinated hot beverages is long-standing - even in the premium cabins.
Last time I was in F, I was surprised that I wasn't served tea and I actually had to ask for tea, and then I only got a cup. Perhaps that's the way it is with breakfast, as it was on the flight. But on the way to the West Coast, I had a full pot of tea as part of afternoon tea.

Every time in J, they've been pretty proactive with providing me tea.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.