Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Farewell to the Excelsior Hong Kong (and the Dickens Bar in particular)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Farewell to the Excelsior Hong Kong (and the Dickens Bar in particular)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2018, 11:42 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

I recalled that they announced that the hotel was to be demolished a few years past, but nothing seemed to have materialised from the news until now.

and so, the time has come. Farewell, Excelsior...
Old Oct 9, 2018, 12:01 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by justin_krusty
I stayed there last month and thought the place was a total sh-thole badly in need of a refurb.
It was not great when I stayed there years ago either but I did find the staff very good.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 1:34 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
BA crew moved out of there ages ago. At least 4 or so years.
Yep, they stay in the same place now as QF and AY

had some cracking nights with BA and QF crew over the years in HKG
Old Oct 9, 2018, 1:45 pm

Programs: BAEC
When completed in 1972 The Excelsior had BOAC as an equity partner alongside Jardines, so this really was BA in HK. I've stayed there half a dozen times over the last 20+ years and usually saw BA Crew in the Dickens Bar. When working in the travel trade many moons ago I bumped into Roger Balchin (our BA Rep.) in reception at The Excelsior, seemed the natural place to find him strangely. AIUI Jardines took quite a few years to decide what to do with the hugely valuable land, a tender to sell for a ridiculous amount (£Billions) to a third party recently fell through. In the end presumably a major redevelopment will be done and totally change the Causeway Bay area in the process. The Excelsior was definitely the shabbiest hotel within The Mandarin Oriental portfolio, presumably because of the issue(s) of what to do and how to do it with "Lot 1."
ADDENDUM I kept wondering where I'd read the above background! Seemingly : The Hongkong Land Company A brief history, 1979, Nigel Cameron, pg 50: -
World Trade Centre Complex
Much more ambitious in scale was another venture in the same year (1970). The Company joined with Jardine's, Trust House Forte, The Bank of East Asia, British Airways, City Hotels Limited, and the Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation, to develop Marine Lot 52. This was part of a lot belonging to Jardine's which had formed a portion of their East Point properties since the very first days of their activities in Hong Kong in the 1840s. On this splendid waterfront site was developed the Excelsior Hotel, in a district very much on the map with the construction of the Cross-Harbour Tunnel, the first for vehicular traffic, due to surface in close proximity. This first class hotel with it's 1,000 rooms and many public facilities, was completed in August 1972, coinciding with the opening of the tunnel. The Company took a 26 percent interest in East Point Hotels Ltd., the owners of the hotel.

Last edited by clansey1973; Oct 10, 2018 at 8:34 am Reason: References siting facts added
Old Oct 9, 2018, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by secretplantofightinflation

Yep, they stay in the same place now as QF and AY
Where do they stay now?
Old Oct 9, 2018, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Somewhere I still have marshmallow tin, in the shape of the hotel tower....
Exactly the same as us, wonder where it is?(!).
Old Oct 9, 2018, 2:31 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by clansey1973
Where do they stay now?
It’s not my place to share this detail on a public forum, but safe to say it’s a perfectly pleasant hotel on HK Island.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 2:35 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

I have very fond memories of this hotel. I had no idea of the historical connection to BOAC. It is a bit shabby chic but I just kinda like it. A great location for me, lovely staff who always go the extra mile for BA Gold card holders.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 5:24 am

Programs: BA Silver IHG Platinum Elite
I saw Tony Hancock perform their when I was 21 in the mid sixties. I have to report that he appeared drunker than us young blokes out for a convivial evening. As a callow youth I have to confess I preferred the Hilton night club in the basement. That hotel also long since gone.....
Old Oct 10, 2018, 6:03 am

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold
Originally Posted by Tiger_lily
We stayed there on the first leg of our honeymoon in 93. On the 28th floor. It was bonkers watching the traffic at 3am looking like London rush hour.

And the brilliant view of Kai Tak.

Very fond memories of the place.
Same here. I remember waking up on Christmas Day 1993 to no traffic and it felt very weird
Old Oct 10, 2018, 6:08 am

Programs: Meh
I have a soft spot for the Dickens bar. Good beer selection and comfort food. Am in HK next month and will make it my business to have a pint there.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Does your private jet fly to HKG ?
It does... And quite recently too!
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by Pascoe
Correct me if I am wrong, but the new one isn't a million miles away right?

Yeah, not too far...
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 7:52 pm

BA crews in HKG do typically enjoy themselves downroute, which is good to see, since HKG is also one of my favourite cities. One time, I do remember doing some sort of karaoke with a few BA crew members in the wee small hours at a bar in LKF about 8 or 9 years ago. A great time was had by all.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 12:09 am

It was supposed to go in 2016 but was granted a stay of execution. I don't mind it going much, it was a tired old place frequented by tired old businessmen. I remember being very surprised when i found out it was a Marriott hotel. Anyway, many of the airline crew moved to a hotel just round the corner, so it wont make much difference to them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.