Travelex

Old Oct 9, 2018, 2:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
Smile Travelex

Hi guys and gals

I am sure here is a travelex shop in T5 inbetween First and Concorde Room, just by the Elemis Spa, can you please just clarify that I am right in thinking this
Old Oct 9, 2018, 2:18 am

Programs: BA Gold
Yes there is
Markie likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 2:22 am

Programs: BA GGL for a little while longer
Just opposite Hermes, but tbh I was put off by their larcenous 4.99 collection fee for amounts under 300 value.

I got exactly the same rate on the High Street for the Turkish Lire I needed and all it cost me was a bit of shoe leather...
Old Oct 9, 2018, 2:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
Thanks, albeit a bit confused as Tdgraves answered yes to my question when i said that I thought it was within the First and Concorde complex.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 2:35 am

There is definitely one in the BA lounge complex where you mentioned. Be sure to pre-order or you will get well and truly ripped off
Old Oct 9, 2018, 2:53 am
Original Poster

Thank you cosmo74 I will definately be ordering before I fly
Old Oct 9, 2018, 3:00 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by cosmo74
Be sure to pre-order or you will get well and truly ripped off
The rates they charge are pretty rubbish either way. Surely you are better off using an ATM and paying the Mastercard or Visa middle rate?
Worcester, LCY8737 and mvoight like this.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 3:14 am
Original Poster

The Oz $ is good at present 179 which know full well is much better than Barclays ordering.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 3:44 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by BA5E
The Oz $ is good at present 179 which know full well is much better than Barclays ordering.
That's around ~500bps off the rate. I was getting ~220bps when using my Monzo in AUS
Old Oct 9, 2018, 4:11 am

Programs: BA Gold; MB Ti; HH Diamond; IHG Plat; RR Gold
Amongst all this discussion on Travelex rates it's probably worth plugging their "Price Promise" again. I've used this on 100% of my pre-orders against Thomas Exchange Global's online rates.

https://www.travelex.co.uk/offers/pr...rms-conditions

It's still not as competitive as a mid-market rate FX card, but for those that need cash immediately it's worth bearing in mind.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 4:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've been using John Lewis recently - often the best on the high street - today Travelex US = 1.2727 John Lewis = 1.2908
Old Oct 9, 2018, 4:28 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by OverTheHorizon
Just opposite Hermes, but tbh I was put off by their larcenous 4.99 collection fee for amounts under 300 value.

I got exactly the same rate on the High Street for the Turkish Lire I needed and all it cost me was a bit of shoe leather...

You may well have found a better rate at a Doviz in Turkey, (especially with a bit of haggling) but not the airport ones which have really bad rates.
:D! likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 4:32 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by BA5E
You'd get AUD 1.84 from an ATM in Australia, which, depending on the type of card you have, might be a much better deal.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 4:55 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA-1P AB-Gold SPG-Plat Hilton-DIA Hyatt-DIA PC-Gold MR-Plat Hertz-PC
Why do you Brits like currency exchanges so much? Surely its way cheaper to get cash at your destination out of an ATM?
sxc, rossmacd and mec72 like this.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thomas199023
Why do you Brits like currency exchanges so much? Surely its way cheaper to get cash at your destination out of an ATM?
Well that depends... you wouldn't dream of drawing $100 cash out in Vegas - you'll get stuff with a $10 withdrawal fee, plus most likely two other fees. Will cost you near 100 !

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.