Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Ba eclipsed by Norwegian between New York and Europe

Ba eclipsed by Norwegian between New York and Europe

Old Oct 8, 2018, 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by callum9999
People on here have claimed Norwegian is going to go bust any minute now for several years ...

Just like the decades long and never ending "this latest BA budget cut is the beginning of the end of BA!", I don't think the majority of you know what you're talking about.

Though I will of course concede Norwegian is in a far more precarious stage of existence so a collapse is certainly plausible. I'd however wager they're more likely to temper their rapid growth and focus on margins than to collapse. The Primera comparison is nonsense - Norwegian is well established and, although is overreaching, is fundamentally profitable.
I may be wrong on this, but on all the speculation about Norwegian's survival on here, I don't remember anyone suggesting they are about to fold 'any minute now' as you put it. I think we are in agreement though tbat their position is precarious.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 11:32 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
Winter is coming, fuel prices are up, share price is tanking. Fasten your seatbelts Norwegian.
Considering they rejected a IAG takeover, I'm sure they will be fine. If they anticipated headwinds I think the negotiations would not have went the way they did given their weaker position.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by keitherson
Considering they rejected a IAG takeover, I'm sure they will be fine. If they anticipated headwinds I think the negotiations would not have went the way they did given their weaker position.
Or could it be their vulnerability attracted IAG as a shareholder, giving them leverage over future potential 'spoils of war' such as LGW slots, aircraft (the ones not leased) and customer base etc?
Old Oct 8, 2018, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I think that's is one of the learnings from the Primera crash - it's not that simple. If you are overseas and about to return on a failed airline, your options - price wise - could be horrendously priced. Particularly if you absolutely have to travel (e.g. to return to work, kids getting back to school). Moreover people thought their insurance would cover this. Well I think it would be only a small minority whose insurance would cover this, many policies specifically exclude airline failure unless the SAFI component is purchased. For example the John Lewis Finance travel insurance policy doesn't include it at the Essential Level, you need the Plus or Premier levels to include this, and they are generally considered one of the better insurers out there. This also applies to those with expensive "component" holidays - hotels, car hire, excursions booked separately and the airline fails the day before travel. The credit card protection just covers the lost spend - which may be OK if you are months away from travel.
You are confusing protection under s75 of the consumer credit act and travel insurance. s75 protection does not just cover lost spend. It makes the credit card company jointly liable for fulfillment of the obligations of the underlying contract. Thus, in the case of an airline with which you have a contract of transport, the credit card company is put in the shoes of the airline in having to fulfill the transport contract.

If your credit card is not a UK credit card or if it is a card not covered by s75 (such as a debit card, for instance) of you are in a situation which is not covered by s75 (such as buying via a travel agent rather than directly with the airline), this is a different story.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 1:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Cw novice
Few things to note here the term New York Area is hopelessly vague. Does it mean JFK/EWR only or points more distant from NYC.
The article and the associated stats are clear on that. The stats for 'NYC area' are based on LGA+JFK+EWR+SWF.

Last edited by orbitmic; Oct 9, 2018 at 1:18 am
Old Oct 9, 2018, 1:06 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Out of interest, are these figures ‘actual’ passenger totals? It wouldn’t surprise me if this was the Arsenal of airlines and they are quoting tickets sold/seats available rather than actual passangers flown.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 1:08 am

Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
I may be wrong on this, but on all the speculation about Norwegian's survival on here, I don't remember anyone suggesting they are about to fold 'any minute now' as you put it. I think we are in agreement though tbat their position is precarious.
I've seen many people make that point. Whether they were exaggerating or not I don't know.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 1:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by hfly
So this means that DL, AA and UA have far more Transatlantic passengers.
Hmm... how do you make the jump from rightly noting that DY is only top transatlantic traffic among foreign airlines to assuming that all US majors have higher transatlantic traffic? We don't know that. For instance you might have only UA with higher TATL traffic and that would still justify the precautionary language. All we know is that the three majors US airlines have the highest international traffic but this includes flights to Canada, the Caribbean, Latin America etc which represent much higher numbers.

These fly to JFK and EWR. From the definition given in this "press release" Norwegian operates something like 20 routes from all over Europe into 3, 4 or 5 airports that could possibly (not by anyone who actually knows what they are talking about) "NY airports", JFK, EWR, SWF, BDL and PVO. This is in no way Apples for Apples.

Again, this is LGA+JFK+EWR+SWF.

As Norwegian can mess with the numbers why not also throw all the other IAG pax into the "NY area" as well from Europe? Aer Lingus and Iberia have a fair number of passengers don't they?

DY are not messing with anything. No doubt they are delighted by that specific figure, but they are not the source here, nor the people who keep track of traffic. And yes, sure, you could replace airlines by groups, in which case instead of this article being news, BA would have long lost this elusive 'top international transatlantic operator' title in favour of the LH group
allset2travel likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 1:18 am

Originally Posted by callum9999
I've seen many people make that point. Whether they were exaggerating or not I don't know.
OK, our experiences of FT over the several years you mention differ I think. I have seen many people make the point that Norwegian may fold, but I can't remember anyone making the point that it would be any minute now, the two points being very different. Again I may be wrong about this and happy to be corrected, but that's my recollection.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
So accurate figures given an inaccurate interpretation and people fall for it.

It’s an absolutely nonsense comparison.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 3:21 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Well, I find it interesting, but always understand that there are caveats! I've found them a joy to fly in Europe, and the numbers are impressive irrespective of BA's. We're seeing a bunch of sub £350 and even £300 economy fares from VS/BA to North America which is a joy, so they are having a positive impact for most of us even if we wouldn't touch them with a bargepole!
Old Oct 9, 2018, 3:42 am

Statistics can be made to say anything but at the end of the day competition is a good thing. It is because of the arrival of airlines like Norwegian that fares are at levels where long haul travel is available to the mass market.

A far cry from the old days of dirty tricks and collusion between the airlines.
Oaxaca and truncated like this.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 4:01 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Ultimately, whichever carrier sells its seats for less than it costs to provide them is not long for this world. I have no idea if this is the case chez Norwegian, but debt like that that (should those figures prove to be correct) takes a lot of cash to service.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 4:09 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR
I flew Norwegian Premium from Gatwick to Boston this week and I can see why they are getting decent market penetration on TATL routes. I would normally fly J as per travel policy, but with the cost 20% of what BA wanted for CW (under half of WT+) and in sympathy for my travel budget I thought I'd give them a try.

Overall it was a great experience. Nice plane (787-9), plenty of leg room (more seat pitch and much more recline than WT+ I think, but it's a while since I flew that cabin), very attentive crew with plenty of drink topups, decent food. It also came with lounge access (No. 1 lounge at Gatwick), fast track security and priority boarding.

I will reserve final judgement for the return leg, but overall impressions were very good. I'd be sad to see them get into financial trouble.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 5:36 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by Cw novice
Few things to note here the term New York Area is hopelessly vague. Does it mean JFK/EWR only or points more distant from NYC.
It states the "Port Authority of New York & New Jersey" - https://www.panynj.gov/airports/

As others have stated this in pretty much non news, LON-NYC would be a little more interesting and slightly more skewed in BA's favour.

Im all for DI though, sub 300 flights to LON from BOS in this day and age is a truly wondrous thing

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.