Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

In appreciation of the Gatwick business lounge

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2018, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, SAS EB Silver, Hilton Honors Diamond, Starwood Gold, Accor Silver

I actually found myself choosing to endure the train journey (and the rest of!) Gatwick airport tonight for one reason - I unusually was forced to pick the flight with the lowest fare back to Edinburgh tonight and I knew I’d have around a two hour wait.

Why? Because surely the Gatwick business lounge must be the best in the network - great selection of hot dishes and salad, great selection of drinks, nice ambiance most of the time, fine runway views and nice staff. Although I grump and complain about enhancements as much as anyone else, I just can’t ever find myself faulting the place now.

Perhaps, and just this once, I will say that BA got something spot on!
Old Oct 8, 2018, 1:18 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club - Demoted to Bronze and re-promoted to Silver alongside AC Elite 50K (gold) in 2022
I agree

I've used the lounge twice this summer on the seasonal LGW to YYZ and it was great both times. Way cleaner with more staff clearing tables, champagne available for self service and best of all - Marmite in individual portions.

That said, the terminal B lounge at T5 remains the best kept secret - few kids, plenty of seats, great views and no queue for the bathroom
Old Oct 8, 2018, 1:20 pm

Programs: BA Silver
The lounge staff were great even in the dark beans on toast days......always been a friendly lounge.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Interesting... I've always turned left at the new LGW lounge instead of right... It certainly is better than LHR.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Interesting... I've always turned left at the new LGW lounge instead of right... It certainly is better than LHR.
These lefties again...
Old Oct 8, 2018, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by Mikey Mike Mike
I agree

I've used the lounge twice this summer on the seasonal LGW to YYZ and it was great both times. Way cleaner with more staff clearing tables, champagne available for self service and best of all - Marmite in individual portions.

That said, the terminal B lounge at T5 remains the best kept secret - few kids, plenty of seats, great views and no queue for the bathroom
how do you actually use T5-B in practice? I mean, I always find out if the flight leaves from satellites B/C when the flight is assigned a gate.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 4:27 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by footballfanatic
how do you actually use T5-B in practice? I mean, I always find out if the flight leaves from satellites B/C when the flight is assigned a gate.
You can go to B gates anyway and then get back to the A gates if necessary using the underground walkway (for the walkway take the lift down to level -4 and follow the signs, or search on here for the very helpful pictoral guide, written by KARFA I think).
Old Oct 8, 2018, 4:30 pm

Yep - I was in there this afternoon. Such a better experience than the T5A GC zoos.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 11:15 pm

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
Originally Posted by footballfanatic
If you are flying long haul you know you will be in B or C!
So always go to B

Have yet to use the new LGW lounge
A reward ro UVF may prove the perfect trial !
Old Oct 8, 2018, 11:32 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by allturnleft

So always go to B

Have yet to use the new LGW lounge
A reward ro UVF may prove the perfect trial !
dont forger also, it is generally easier to get on the day spa treatments at B too.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 11:37 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
in the LGW flounge right now. Absolutely one of my favourites.

There are some great day trips out of LGW for peanuts for those as want to try it. I just booked a £47 Saturday return to Malaga on the 26th Jan, it generates 2630 avios so effectively twenty quid return and I'll be going to the Picasso museum. Plenty of less spectacular deals around too. </div>
sph77 and WickedStepMother like this.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 11:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald), TK Elite (*A Gold)
Originally Posted by allturnleft

So always go to B
Not always - my SCL departure left from via bus from A10. Although I'd popped to B prior anyway.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 1:23 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, Hilton Honours, IHG Rewards
Originally Posted by Mikey Mike Mike
I agree

Marmite, I thought that had been enhanced away. We usually use the First Lounge, although hubby goes through to Club to get magazines. Looks like he will have to bring me back some Marmite too now. We also prefer LWG First to T5.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 3:50 am

Programs: Hilton HHonors, BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Although turning right I feel is generally the better option at LGW Both excellent lounges, and worth the wait.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 3:54 am

Being able to use contactless has been a big factor in me considering Gatwick. In the past I'd have to check train times as I walked from the plane, get the right ticket for the network I was using and hope I made it to the platform on time. Now I just use contactless and decide which train is most convenient at the last minute.

I'm flying out to AMS regularly and the price different between Gatwick and Heathrow/City is too big too ignore.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.