Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LIN closing for 3 months in 2019

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2018, 4:56 am

As flatlanders pointed out, MXP has capacity to accommodate almost all LIN flights. Let's remember that MXP was built to be a second AZ hub (and it was somehow a hub for a while), but when the airline went to sh*t they pretty much closed the MXP hub and left the airport heavily under-utilised. Also worth noting that other airlines (ie: AZ) are moving flights also to BGY during the shut down.

Earlier in the year a BA exec told me that LIN is one of their most profitable European routes and that they have been trying to get more LIN slots (very hard). So, I would imagine that BA would want to maintain the capacity and that all frequencies will indeed be transferred to MXP.

By the way, there are aspects of MXP that are somehow more convenient than LIN so it's not all terrible: BA in MXP doesn't use remote stands (whereas all non-Shengen flights at LIN have to be remote stands); for some areas of Milan, the additional time to travel to/from MXP versus LIN is far less than one might think, particularly as the LIN route is marred by the works for the new metro line especially if coming from Cadorna. Then of course for tourists heading to the lakes (Como, Maggiore, Orta), MXP is far more convenient.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 8:53 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by flying_pig
(...) By the way, there are aspects of MXP that are somehow more convenient than LIN so it's not all terrible: BA in MXP doesn't use remote stands (whereas all non-Shengen flights at LIN have to be remote stands); for some areas of Milan, the additional time to travel to/from MXP versus LIN is far less than one might think, particularly as the LIN route is marred by the works for the new metro line especially if coming from Cadorna. Then of course for tourists heading to the lakes (Como, Maggiore, Orta), MXP is far more convenient.
MXP is way better than LIN coming/going central/western Piemonte.
LIN is a p.i.t.a. using the car during the week. My mother asked me to avoid using LIN outside Italian public holidays (01/11, 25-26/12, 01/01 etc) for picking up and dropping off the kids.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 4:30 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Earlier in the year a BA exec told me that LIN is one of their most profitable European routes and that they have been trying to get more LIN slots (very hard).
Interesting, for years LIN was the cheapest place in Europe I could fly to from Canada. I did many "reverse Ex-EU's" by flying into LIN rather than LHR and then doing a positioning flight to London.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 5:20 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Let's remember that MXP was built to be a second AZ hub
It was not just intended to be an AZ hub, it was also intended to be the only international airport serving Milan. When this was the plan overseas airlines, including BA, were restricted to 3 flights (I think) to LIN. It was similar to the plans for Mirabel in Montreal. It fell apart as plan with LIN remaining popular, even if it looks like a 1970s museum piece. MXP has enjoyed some investment since; LIN much less so.

By the way, there are aspects of MXP that are somehow more convenient than LIN so it's not all terrible: BA in MXP doesn't use remote stands (whereas all non-Shengen flights at LIN have to be remote stands); for some areas of Milan, the additional time to travel to/from MXP versus LIN is far less than one might think, particularly as the LIN route is marred by the works for the new metro line especially if coming from Cadorna. Then of course for tourists heading to the lakes (Como, Maggiore, Orta), MXP is far more convenient.
I know most of this board favours LIN, but I must say as a Milan regular, I switch freely between LIN and MXP with flight times being the main differentiator. MXP is much better connected with trains to all parts of Milan and now the rail link via Varese into Ticino. If you are comparing public transport to central Milan (Milano Centrale say), it's an hour's train journey from MXP, vs a coach direct or No. 73 bus and metro/No. 60 bus which is pretty similar timewise (Metro Line 4 now due in 2022 won't be a huge improvement given its route). For facilities, including quality of BA used lounges, MXP now has the edge.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 7:02 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
It seems they are now in the process of rebooking those on LIN flights during the affected period. At least for my date (17 August) they have moved or increased capacity to MXP, they have just rebooked me on one of the three LHR-MXP flights that day.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 8:12 am

Personally I wouldn't touch the booking and check back nearer the time, probably will have added some extra flights with times that may work better. Every flight I've ever been on to Milan has been packed, be very surprised if they can just loose all the Linate capacity
Old Oct 19, 2018, 8:21 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by sammyg901
Personally I wouldn't touch the booking and check back nearer the time, probably will have added some extra flights with times that may work better. Every flight I've ever been on to Milan has been packed, be very surprised if they can just loose all the Linate capacity
Good point. In my case I was heading to Verona anyway so I may use the opportunity to swap to a better timed VCE flight. I know there are LGW-VRN flights but it's quite early that day and I would prefer to avoid an early start.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 10:24 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, *A Gold, Hertz President's Circle, HHonors Diamond
I’ve been moved to MXP flights that run about an hour earlier. I’m quite happy with this, but may switch to VCE or VRN nearer the time.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 1:29 pm

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold
Originally Posted by ptr120
If I remember correctly, BLQ also has an extended closure next Summer. It'll be a good time to avoid Italian airports
I think BLQ closed last September for a few days
Old Sep 2, 2019, 4:52 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
I was thinking of booking some LIN flights for next summer but oddly on July 25th they all switch to MXP or, where close to an MXP timing, disappear. (Except the CJ LCY-LIN flights continue.)

I haven’t seen any indication of another LIN closure. Anyone know otherwise, or do you think BA have actually decided MXP works better for the holidays? Or is it an odd copy-over from this year that will be corrected?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.