Search

LIN closing for 3 months in 2019

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2018, 2:11 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
LIN closing for 3 months in 2019

Head‘s up for those travelling to/from LIN in 2019: The airport will close from 27.7.19 - 27.10.19 due to renovation works on both runway and terminal.

I wonder if BA is going to upgauge flights to MXP or add additional frequencies to MXP?

https://www.businesstraveller.com/bu...r-summer-2019/
Old Oct 8, 2018, 8:38 am

What a very odd 3 months to pick. Surely April May June would make more sense?
Old Oct 8, 2018, 8:42 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Sixt Gold
I would have gone for Jun - Sep considering that Jul/Aug Italy is basically shut down due to holidays and those flights can be easily routed to MXP, as a leisure traveller is more keen to take the tedious journey to Varese.

Taxi drivers will celebrate, MXP-Milan centre is a €100 trip vs the average €20/30 trip from LIN.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 9:00 am

Programs: M&M, BA Silver, Accor LeClub Gold
If I remember correctly, BLQ also has an extended closure next Summer. It'll be a good time to avoid Italian airports
Old Oct 8, 2018, 9:09 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by frandrake
I would have gone for Jun - Sep considering that Jul/Aug Italy is basically shut down due to holidays and those flights can be easily routed to MXP, as a leisure traveller is more keen to take the tedious journey to Varese.
On the other hand: Jun - Sep is the hottest period of the year. Working conditions are certainly better during Aug - Oct: Not too hot for workers, not too cold for works.
frandrake likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 2:56 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by frandrake
Taxi drivers will celebrate, MXP-Milan centre is a €100 trip vs the average €20/30 trip from LIN.
Last time I flew into MXP I caught the train to Milano Centrale - EUR11 if I remember correctly; perfectly adequate.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 3:14 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by florens
Head‘s up for those travelling to/from LIN in 2019: The airport will close from 27.7.19 - 27.10.19 due to renovation works on both runway and terminal.

I wonder if BA is going to upgauge flights to MXP or add additional frequencies to MXP?

I happen to have a booking to LIN during that period. Nothing fro BA yet and it is still showing as confirmed on my booking. I imagine at some point BA will inform me and offer to re-book to MXP.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 3:47 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Sixt Gold
Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer

Last time I flew into MXP I caught the train to Milano Centrale - EUR11 if I remember correctly; perfectly adequate.
I don't like the train option as it stops at almost every (desert) station: Malpensa, Ferno, Busto, Castellanza, Rescaldina, Saronno, Bovisa, Garibaldi and then, finally, Centrale.

Exhausting.

Cadorna is slightly better.

MXP is a nightmare if you travel for work and live in the city.
paffendorf likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 4:53 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
According to the press all LIN flights will operate in that period but to MXP instead. They said no cuts in service although I’m not sure how believable that is. Therefore in theory BAs entire LIN and MXP schedule from both LHR/LCY should all land at MXP.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 6:04 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AVIS Presidents Club
Originally Posted by ptr120
If I remember correctly, BLQ also has an extended closure next Summer. It'll be a good time to avoid Italian airports
I can't find any mention of a BLQ closure for 2019 anywhere other than Sept 2018 for a few days. Where did you get the BLQ info?
Old Oct 8, 2018, 6:49 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by george77300
According to the press all LIN flights will operate in that period but to MXP instead. They said no cuts in service although I’m not sure how believable that is. Therefore in theory BAs entire LIN and MXP schedule from both LHR/LCY should all land at MXP.
How is this even possible?
Old Oct 9, 2018, 1:19 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
MXP has capacity for 70 aircraft movements/hour ( http://www.seamilano.eu/sites/sea14...._inglese_1.pdf )
MXP actually moves 15000 aircraft/month (April 2018), 500/day, 50/hour for 10 hours. MXP is open 24 hours. ( Traffic data SEA Group )
LIN moves 9000 aircraft/month (April 2018), 300/day, 30/hour for 10 hours. LIN is open 16 hours/day and has capacity for 18 movements/hour so it's actually running pretty much at capacity.
So MXP probably can handle the extra 18 movements/hour even if noone combines a previously separate LIN and MXP route into one route to MXP for the duration.

Terminal capacity? http://www.seamilano.eu/sites/sea14.message-asp.com/files/imce/scheda_10.pdf says MXP T1 has capacity of 30M/year (after the expansion works completed in 2015). Currently MXP handles 22M/year and LIN 9M/year (wikipedia). MXP has, of course, two terminals.

Essentially MXP is not running at capacity and LIN has less capacity than one might think.

It l​​​ooks plausible to me.

Last edited by flatlander; Oct 9, 2018 at 1:26 am Reason: Fix links, add summary
Old Oct 12, 2018, 5:39 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, *A Gold, Hertz President's Circle, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by KARFA
I happen to have a booking to LIN during that period. Nothing fro BA yet and it is still showing as confirmed on my booking. I imagine at some point BA will inform me and offer to re-book to MXP.
I’ve got a booking too.

BA have taken flights to LIN off sale, but my booking is still in tact, and EF shows the flight (with zero availability) and seat map.

I presume BA are working on what the new schedule to MXP will be and I’ll get offered that soonish.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 5:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by florens

Upgauge!?! Don’t be silly! They can’t retire the aircraft quick enough and they’re leaving themselves stretched to the max with a bunch of sardine cans. They’ll be retiring the A321s soon and replacing them
with the Shorts 360. Expect A319 and sky high prices.
Don’t like it? Fly FR and EZY to somewhere near Venice
Old Oct 12, 2018, 10:15 pm

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
Real world concerns for those flying there aside ( obviously hope y'all get good alt' arrangements) im geeking out blissfully to @flatlanders post.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.