Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

What got you interested in Avios/ air miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What got you interested in Avios/ air miles?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2018, 1:08 am

Programs: BA Silver
When I started my current job with 70ish European flights per year. Silver was my aim for the associated benefits, but I soon noticed lots of Avios building-up and found this forum and then Head for Points. Most of my Avios are collected in other ways, but they've enabled me to fly First to some great destinations which I would otherwise not have been able to afford.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 1:44 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
Moved to the UK from Switzerland. Amex was the only company that would give me a credit card with a usable limit so I got one that gave me some Avios. In the process of moving all my stuff, I'd book the Switzerland to London leg in Business class. Kinda got used to it, so decided to push for Silver by upgrading to business on a trip I had already planned to Iceland and booking a TP run / weekend trip to Tallinn.

Tallinn and Iceland were pretty fun and I discovered day trip fares, so I started doing that. I enjoyed it quite a bit and had a trip to Montreal coming up so I booked a TP run to get to Gold out of it. It wasn't too much more expensive than economy at that time of year, so it worked out nicely. Now I'll be enjoying Gold till the end of 2020, and maybe more. I'll have a couple of 241 redemptions in 2019 too so it'll be fun to fly in my first First.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 3:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Thoroughly retired, and never in any of those employment categories! Just a couple of older leisure travellers. I tend to join programmes and see what happens.

When we started flying BA to the US annually, BAEC/Avios made sense ... with Avios soon being used all the time to upgrade from PE to CW. And it sort of grew from there, with Avios earning augmented by use of the BA Amex (which we're now able to use almost exclusively - for everything!). Upgrading to the paid Amex PP increased the earnings through everyday and holiday (flight, hotel, car) expenses, ensuring the easy acquisition of the 2-4-1 Companion Voucher and enhanced Avios earning to pay for its use.

So it was all an unplanned exercise that evolved, with the help of this Forum, to have us always flying J, travelling more than we would ever have imagined (50k miles p/a plus) , and scraping Gold renewal annually. It's a good life
Crampedin13A likes this.

Last edited by T8191; Oct 8, 2018 at 8:19 am Reason: spilling ... must proof-read before hitting Submit.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 3:23 am

Supermarket loyalty schemes. Shopping at Sainsbury I slowly built up Reward Points for nothing in particular, they were just there, until it dawned I had enough to go Y to New York almost free as there were little or no taxes and charges then. So, became a bit more aware of offers managing my first F together with Mrs Greenpen a couple of years later. Then Sainsbury dropped their reward scheme and went in with Nectar and no airline partner. Fortunately Tesco took up the Avios scheme so off I went to them and never looked back, avid collector gaining loads of ClubCard points and enjoying mainly F travel. Until recently that is, as the ClubCard scheme seems to be running down and collecting Avios has become more of a challenge, 704 points so far this quarter is not getting me far!

Most of the points I have acquired this last year or so are from my paid flying. I don’t fly for work anymore and although an intensive burst of employer paid travel got me BA Gold a few years ago that is not to be repeated.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 3:57 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
When I was growing up we flew 3-4 times a year. My dad always booked the cheapest economy flight he could find on any airline, and we collected piddly amounts of miles in all sorts of FFPs which ended up expiring or taking 10 years to get something like a £100 discount on another economy flight (ok, maybe there were fewer fake surcharges in the past, I can't remember).

So it was my dad collecting miles very inefficiently that got me interested, which led me to search online for better information and one thing led to another.

Regarding BA specifically, I joined in the period that they awarded 100% of flown miles on all tickets, and shortly after that RFS was introduced, then I became eligible to apply for (what passes for) lucrative credit cards in the UK.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 6:28 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
Back in 1989 I started working in a global job that required lots of travel. Mainly to Asia/dunnunder and USA. Fortunately the employer would pay for J flights.
In the 90s, the children were young, and the airmiles were used for family trips to Florida. The youngsters loved it!
I am no miles scientist, so I like FT to keep me vaguely up to date, although I am now properly retired!.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 6:53 am

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
I was a student at the time, travelling back to Ireland to see my friends and family. My initial interest was in Status, specifically BD*G. As a relatively new arrival to the U.K. and a student I couldn’t get the MBNA credit card, so my miles balance was relatively modest, until graduation, the transition from Diamond Club and a slew of AMEX and Lloyds Cards 2-4-1s and upgrade vouchers have been used for CW/CE trips, I’ve let status fall away and chased Avios instead.

If I’ve got any regrets it’s that I missed the bmi Amex/MC duo pack and that I was too late to fly Concorde. I need to get a hussle to get F on the 747, the UD is already ticked off.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 7:49 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
I am a PhD student so travel in long haul J was never going to happen with my limited conference budget, so I started to collect and on my trips to Europe for holidays and conferences would upgrade as often as I could (POUGs and AUPs) until I reached Silver and now flying long haul in Y is much more pleasant with lounge access, extra baggage allowance etc, so when my wife and I travel to see her family in various corners of the globe each year the trips are much more comfortable.

Now that I will soon be coming to the end of my PhD (about 1 year or so) and hopefully into a job where travel in J will be an actual possibility (and a salary that will allow the trips to see family and holidays to be in J), I am hoping that Gold will be the new aim and flying will become even more comfortable and more enjoyable.

Flyertalk and Head for Points have certainly helped a lot!

I also just love flying!
Old Oct 8, 2018, 7:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Used to mostly fly AF on the EZE route as they were always the cheapest from GLA...even acquired status. When I did start to fly BA my fare class wouldn't allow me to join the BAEC so I lost out on earning thousands of miles. Eventually through searching Flyertalk I found a way of joining the BAEC without having to fly thus enabling me to sign up and start earning miles through flying Iberia as well. Being a Tesco Clubcard member also helped kick things off.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 8:09 am

When I started collecting airmiles it was free of additional charges/taxes to fly with British Airways. It seemed like a good deal and fitted with work and leisure travel based on where I live. Good thread. Some touching posts.

Last edited by AnaTravel; Oct 8, 2018 at 8:50 am
Old Oct 8, 2018, 8:48 am

Programs: BA Bronze
I have always been in the habit of joining loyalty schemes (supermarkets- green shield stamps etc) so when I started to fly a bit I naturally signed up to any and every airline scheme that I flew with.
The only two schemes that have ever been useful are AA historically and BA currently.
BAEC is the only scheme I have been able to attain any status with.
T8191 likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Surely this "loyalty" thing is a bit like relationships when one was a teenager? Yes, I can remember that far back!

You join lots of 'schemes' [at least I certainly did] and find out which one works for you.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 10:18 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Silver
I got the taste of the premium cabins dating an international crew member and this was the cheapest way to get those glories back
Old Oct 8, 2018, 11:13 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, SK Diamond, ITA Volare Club Executive, TK Elite
Originally Posted by xjk1
What got you intrested?
topbonus filed bankruptcy.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 11:39 am

I think the main driver was economy flights!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.