Search

Ex-US Fuel Surcharges for F up 50%

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2018, 4:08 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by pareto
I wonder if the high YQ is driven more by award bookings or due to YQ not being subject to corporate discounts
These words come to mind: “hit two birds with one stone”.

The two birds: “award booking” customers and corporate/negotiated contract customers.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 1:55 am

Programs: Mucci des canapes, Skywards Gold, BAEC Gold, IC Plat Amb, Accor Gold
Essentially an easy and quiet way to devalue Avios without raising the complaints that a formal adjustment of earning or spend rates would cause.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 10:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Tit, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Carlson Gold, UA*S,
BA has recently increased the surcharges on First Class flights out of the US. To be honest, it is now getting silly.

A First Class redemption using Avios from New York JFK to London Heathrow now costs a ludicrous Ł1,395 in taxes and charges. Per person..

Doing the same trip in reverse, from the UK, ‘only’ costs Ł598 return.

I have absolutely no idea what the grounds are for charging US residents more than twice as much, but it makes no sense at all. To be fair, this is good news for UK residents as it means US residents are unlikely to be taking all of the Avios seats.
IThink likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 1:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
https://www.headforpoints.com/2018/1...kyteam-member/
Old Oct 16, 2018, 6:59 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Wow, this is pretty awful. I paid ~$1100 for my last r/t F redemption back in May, and now I'm being quoted more than $1800.

Just more reasons to be glad I discontinued my loyalty to BA and started using up my Avios balance.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 7:17 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold (GGL/CCR), HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by gengar
Wow, this is pretty awful. I paid ~$1100 for my last r/t F redemption back in May, and now I'm being quoted more than $1800.

Just more reasons to be glad I discontinued my loyalty to BA and started using up my Avios balance.
Yes, I am looking for a different Visa card now too. No need for more Avios.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 7:20 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
This is a pretty absurd devaluation of the joker and 2-4-1 benefits for those in the US, as these are the scenarios where you need to book a return journey rather than two one-way tickets.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 12:40 pm

Programs: AA, DL, TK
Impact on changes to existing Avios booking?

Could this change result in a requirement to pay additional YQ when changing an existing Avios booking? I found availability on the early LHR-BOS, which when connecting from JNB would save 5 hours of layover, but was advised that in addition to the expected change fee, that the "taxes" were $500+ more per person. My first instinct was HUCA, but then I saw this thread.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by Prospero
What's also interesting is the YQ charges seem to have equalised - previously west coast commanded a higher charge than the east coast.

I also see that AF, BA, AA, LH, and UA all levy the same YQ on ex US F fares
I'm pretty sure you've got that wrong in the case of AA... they will levy the BA YQ on BA-metal redemptions using AAdvantage miles, but on AA-metal redemptions the taxes come to US$5.60 on most ex-US itineraries, whether in F, J or Y. I can't speak for experience with AF, LH or UA.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 1:07 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Schultzois
I'm pretty sure you've got that wrong in the case of AA... they will levy the BA YQ on BA-metal redemptions using AAdvantage miles, but on AA-metal redemptions the taxes come to US$5.60 on most ex-US itineraries, whether in F, J or Y. I can't speak for experience with AF, LH or UA.
i have only looked at revenue bookings so far. For a LAX-LHR rtn in F the AA marketed and operated flights charge carrier surcharge of $1506. The BA marketed and operated flights have an identical surcharge.

Old Oct 17, 2018, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA

i have only looked at revenue bookings so far. For a LAX-LHR rtn in F the AA marketed and operated flights charge carrier surcharge of $1506. The BA marketed and operated flights have an identical surcharge.

Ah, okay, I misinterpreted then. The quoted YQ on a revenue ticket may well be the same (so that underlying fares start from the same point, rather than being wildly different). In which case the differences for redemption bookings (which is a lot of this thread's focus) is that AA doesn't apply YQ to redemption bookings on their own metal, whilst I'm pretty sure all the other named carriers do. Then again, most people here probably know that.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Gerbs
Could this change result in a requirement to pay additional YQ when changing an existing Avios booking?
I think it could. If you change an existing booking, the ticket is reissued. If it's reissued, taxes, fees and charges are usually recalculated at the date of reissue. So if they have gone up since the date of original ticket issue ...

As always, the quick way of testing this is to find the breakdown of TFC (or even just the total number, if you haven't got a breakdown) on your existing ticket. Then go to ITA and price the same itinerary using any booking class in the cabin in which you're flying. Ignore the fare lines and look at the TFC quoted today by ITA.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 9:28 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by Schultzois
AA doesn't apply YQ to redemption bookings on their own metal, whilst I'm pretty sure all the other named carriers do. Then again, most people here probably know that.
Selfishly, I wish it was much less well known! It has become too good a bargain compared to BAEC redemptions and accounts for the fact that premium awards on AA metal using AA miles are so hard to find. I fear this latest development will only make things worse.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 10:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Blueboys999
Selfishly, I wish it was much less well known! It has become too good a bargain compared to BAEC redemptions and accounts for the fact that premium awards on AA metal using AA miles are so hard to find. I fear this latest development will only make things worse.
AA redemptions on other carriers are fine too ( other than BA )

If it was widely known, then maybe there would be a lot more push by people to get rid of the fare disguised as a tax - if BA wants its scheme to be points+cash, then make it be open about it being so, rather than trying to hide it

Also, hopefully the ripping off of people from certain countries over other countries would also go - I cannot see any justification for ripping those originating in the US more than those in the UK get ripped off
Old Oct 17, 2018, 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
AA redemptions on other carriers are fine too ( other than BA )

If it was widely known, then maybe there would be a lot more push by people to get rid of the fare disguised as a tax - if BA wants its scheme to be points+cash, then make it be open about it being so, rather than trying to hide it

Also, hopefully the ripping off of people from certain countries over other countries would also go - I cannot see any justification for ripping those originating in the US more than those in the UK get ripped off
Or those in Brazil not getting ripped off like us at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.