Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BEY Beirut to Heathrow gate time

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2019, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by BEYFlyer

Took me about 50 minutes to get to the lounge... Traffic has already started increasing but it was moving relatively faster. Check in was quick but the passport area is still very chaotic. Yes the new desks are open but there are lines snaking all over the place. A few “bottlenecks” have been done with, so it seems to be going a bit smoother than usual. The main problem remains with the baggage X-ray at the entrance to each side. I think with the new improvements, they might do away with those and actually move them elsewhere (after check in like the rest of the world). Will see... If one is to go by the pictures posted outside of what the airport will look like, it is going to be a “decent” airport at some point... But it will be a few more months before that is realized. So summer 2019 will most likely be a nightmare for most passengers at this point...
Thanks for the update. 50mins to the lounge isn't too bad for mid-June. I think you're right, the Summer is going to be rough since they'll be working through it. Last I heard is that the fast track work will be done by end of September, just in time for it to not be as necessary anymore. Lol.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 7:51 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum
This thread has piqued my interest in a short trip (two pax) to Lebanon. It's the sort of distance which would deserve WTP because it's not worth the expense of CW for two shortish daytime sectors. WTP is not available mid-haul. So my idea is to recreate Club Europe by buying a middle Extra Seat. However, due to personal circumstances we have not flown much in the last two years and will have dropped from silver to blue so won't have advance seat selection. Can we rely on BA to do the obvious thing and give us ABC or DEF or would I also need to pay for seat selection? Does it make any difference if we have an HBO fare?

If we do this trip then it would at least put us back up to Bronze so hopefully it's a one-off situation!
Old Jun 14, 2019, 11:07 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Caerbannog
Can we rely on BA to do the obvious thing and give us ABC or DEF or would I also need to pay for seat selection? !
Pretty sure you *can't* rely on this.
Depending on when you book you might not be able to get a row of three even if you pay for seat selection.
The aisles and windows in otherwise empty rows get taken first by those with status.

It's not a long flight, so you could just get two Y tickets, select seats at T-24 and spend the cash at the other end.
I'm going later in the year but in CW as I'm burning the last of my avios before returning to a less travelly lifestyle.
Really looking forward to the food.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 12:22 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
You can buy a comfort seat, which would be guaranteed (in so far as anything in aviation is guaranteed) to be in the same block and next to you. You don't pay tax on that seat, so it may be cost effective in some cases, but there is a fare minimum that also applies. If you can't sit between the arm rests due to size then you have to buy a comfort seat, at least according to BA's own requirements, but there's nothing to prevent you from doing so even if you don't physically need the extra space. You have to call to book it, and you can use this in exit row seats or bulkheads for some reason. And it has to be a 125 ticket, no other metal other than BA on it.
DeathSlam likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
The ‘entrance’ security is supposedly to be removed within a few weeks, by the end of June. The security between the departure area and the gates will also be removed at the same time.

These will be replaced by a centralised (and single) security point just before immigration, which is why the new desks are pushed slightly further back than the existing ones, and are staggered (well, doubly staggered compared to the current system).

Fast track has been delayed till September to avoid closing off more of the checkin hall than necessary. From what I’ve heard, now that the entrance security will be removed, it will essentially be a checkin area for MEA / SkyTeam and not much else...
Old Jun 14, 2019, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by Caerbannog
This thread has piqued my interest in a short trip (two pax) to Lebanon. It's the sort of distance which would deserve WTP because it's not worth the expense of CW for two shortish daytime sectors. WTP is not available mid-haul. So my idea is to recreate Club Europe by buying a middle Extra Seat. However, due to personal circumstances we have not flown much in the last two years and will have dropped from silver to blue so won't have advance seat selection. Can we rely on BA to do the obvious thing and give us ABC or DEF or would I also need to pay for seat selection? Does it make any difference if we have an HBO fare?

If we do this trip then it would at least put us back up to Bronze so hopefully it's a one-off situation!
It honestly may be worth doing CW on the return and Y on the way out. BEY-LHR is longer, and you will be up pretty early for the 8am departure since they ask you to arrive at the airport by 5am, sometimes earlier, so having a lie-flat will be useful. The flight tends to be full in the summer, so I wouldn't at all expect to get good seats if they aren't booked, and I wouldn't expect the middle to be empty either. A good trick is to book A and C, and if someone shows up in B I'm sure they'll be happy to switch to a window or aisle.

If you're open to flying another airline, you can get ME's A330 in 2-4-2 with free seat reservation, they have an afternoon flight on the return which is usually an A320 though.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And if you don't want to have the risk of having someone else in your row (appreciate the fact that you won't get much extra space yourself), you can book 19DE as there is no 19F (crew seat).

Limited recline though, but you'll get extra room to the right except for takeoff/landing.

Good tip re MEA, which I find to be a more solid product on this route overall (at least in Y - in J, I'd say MEA beats BA if you can't get a throne seat). Some afternoon flights in summer are also operated by A330.

Last edited by BA6501; Jun 14, 2019 at 2:41 pm
Old Jun 14, 2019, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by BA6501
And if you don't want to have the risk of having someone else in your row (appreciate the fact that you won't get much extra space yourself), you can book 19DE as there is no 19F (crew seat).

Limited recline though, but you'll get extra room to the right except for takeoff/landing.

Good tip re MEA, which I find to be a more solid product on this route overall (at least in Y - in J, I'd say MEA beats BA if you can't get a throne seat). Some afternoon flights in summer are also operated by A330.
Agreed, the throne seat is definitely a winner on BA mid-haul. Another inconvenience of the BA flight is that I'd say it is a bus gate 50% of the time at LHR. Fun the first time, not fun the 17th time in rainy weather.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

50%? Try 90%, at least!

At least it tends to be the ones just across from T5A South, and not down by T3...
Old Jun 15, 2019, 4:42 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by ramzi
Agreed, the throne seat is definitely a winner on BA mid-haul. Another inconvenience of the BA flight is that I'd say it is a bus gate 50% of the time at LHR. Fun the first time, not fun the 17th time in rainy weather.
Thanks all for valuable advice. Yes; the exit row pair on an A321 was my first choice when I was Silver and if they can be chosen for [£20] per pax each way for a 4hr flight then a bargain. I was going to wait for a Club sale but I'll now book PDQ because I see that there's only one such pair on a mid-haul as opposed to four on domestic/european.

Caerbannog.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 6:18 am

Programs: ME, EK, LH, IC
The ‘entrance’ security is supposedly to be removed within a few weeks, by the end of June. The security between the departure area and the gates will also be removed at the same time.

These will be replaced by a centralised (and single) security point just before immigration, which is why the new desks are pushed slightly further back than the existing ones, and are staggered (well, doubly staggered compared to the current system).

Fast track has been delayed till September to avoid closing off more of the checkin hall than necessary. From what I’ve heard, now that the entrance security will be removed, it will essentially be a checkin area for MEA / SkyTeam and not much else...
Really looking forward to the unveiling of the "new" aiport... I just hope that they will really rethink their strategy at baggage claim at some point...

Last edited by BEYFlyer; Jun 27, 2019 at 3:33 am
Old Jun 15, 2019, 7:30 am

So the often agonizing queues at that first checkpoint (where they look at your passport and x ray your bags) will be removed, and the new security area will be where the old passport check is, in between the two check-in areas? I’m trying to figure out if this is good or bad. The old setup could be bad, especially in the summertime, but I can’t tell if this new arrangement will be better.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by BEYFlyer
Really looking forward to the unveiling of the "new" aiport... I just hope that they will really rethinking their strategy at baggage claim at some point...
Strange, for all the issues at BEY, the whole arrival area never bothered me. Even with bags, you could be through passport control and customs and outside within 20 minutes, unless something has changed since I was last there in December. The check-in area upstairs, on the other hand, I never really saw eye to eye with.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by prof

So the often agonizing queues at that first checkpoint (where they look at your passport and x ray your bags) will be removed, and the new security area will be where the old passport check is, in between the two check-in areas? I’m trying to figure out if this is good or bad. The old setup could be bad, especially in the summertime, but I can’t tell if this new arrangement will be better.
Correct - it will certainly facilitate access to the check-in area, though concentrating so many people in the 'new' area might be a bad idea... there isn't much waiting room (as we used to see with the enormous queues in the entrance hall!).

That said, if the average time spent to get through security is the same as the one spent to get through passports, it's really a single queue and should be smooth flowing (i.e. not much space for buildup between the two points either)

Originally Posted by prof

Strange, for all the issues at BEY, the whole arrival area never bothered me. Even with bags, you could be through passport control and customs and outside within 20 minutes, unless something has changed since I was last there in December. The check-in area upstairs, on the other hand, I never really saw eye to eye with.
Agree - the only problem would be passport control if many flights arrived in the same wing at once. But additional desks have been added in both wings, especially in the West one where they've built a temporary area that goes out into the old taxi rank.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 2:19 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club and OnBusiness
Does anyone have recent experience arriving/departing at BEY?

I'll be there early September (arriving on 3 Sept on the BA flight late evening; flying with MEA to Jordan late afternoon on the 5th; returning to BEY on RJ late on the 10th and flying back to LHR with BA 8am on the 11th)

Doing ex EU (AMS) so probably hand luggage only

I see mentions of the pre checkin security being removed late summer and new capacity for immigration both arriving and departing but curious to know the actual experience is better now. Don't really fancy getting there 3 hours in advance if I can avoid it; equally don't want to get there 90 minutes before departure and stress if there are queues

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.