Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BEY Beirut to Heathrow gate time

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2018, 4:55 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I was able to use the App throughout on my last visit in September too, I wasn't aware of any difficulty there. I used the PP lounge (for obvious reasons!).

As with many things in life you can either join at the queue at the front, don't wait in the queue too long but wait at the gate for an extended time. Or join the queue in the middle (probably the worst strategy in my view). Or join the gate 12 queue as the last person. So long as you are in that queue, they won't leave without you, and the BA airport manager seems to walk back to the previous security point to check if anyone is stuck, should the numbers not stack up correctly.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Oct 8, 2018 at 5:29 am
Old Oct 8, 2018, 5:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Glad to hear the app issues are sorted then. I strangely managed to get a PYOBP back in 2013, then nothing till earlier this year. I guess they are happy to accept mobile BPs now, the issue I encountered was only at the gate, most other airlines now offer mobile BPs and immigration is set up to accept them.

The lounge (third party) called as check-in staff write/scribble "lounge access" on BPs, but again glad to hear it was just a minor hiccup.

As cws says, don't worry too much about the gate security - the BA ground team run a very slick operation, and it's one of the few places I know of that have semi-recently hired some long-standing third party agents as direct BA staff.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 12:25 pm

Programs: SK Eurobonus Diamond (Lifetime Star Gold), Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Platinum)
Originally Posted by stevebintley
I got lucky with almost non existent queues; I arrived at 05:00. Although it's easy to see that on a busy day or at a more peak time it could take a great deal of time!

1: Passport check required to proceed from the first 'lobby' of the airport. Took no time at all.
2: Bag x-ray immediately after he passport check, including taking off jackets. 10 minutes.
3: I had no checked baggage so proceeded past the BA queues (which looked like they'd take about 20 minutes in the standard line) to the next passport check. No waiting time and collected my pink departures card here to fill out on the tables behind.
4: Short but slow queue for immigration. Took about 30 minutes.
5: Getting into the LAT lounge required the desk agent to make a phone call since I only had a mobile boarding pass. Once I got bored of being in there (which didn't take long as it's quite naff) I headed for gate 12 via the security check. This took about 10 minutes as there were hardly any people.
6: Arrived at gate 12 about 6:30 and it took 20 minutes to get through the bag search and I'm now in the holding pen.

Thanks for all the advice which enabled me to use the best entrances and minimise the walking!
I was on the 148 last Saturday (20 Oct) and had no problems as well.

My timings were as follows (BA Blue with bags to check in):
Arrived at the airport at 5:30
1: Passport check and first x-ray check (in order to enter check-in area) plus actual check-in in economy line with bag: 12 minutes.
2: Immigration/passport check: 40 minutes
3: Airport security check (after duty-free stores): 30 seconds
4: BA security check at gate 12: 15 min.
Total time from arrival at airport to being in the holding pen at gate 12 (including bathroom and shopping breaks): 1h 20 min.

Svantevit
Old Nov 12, 2018, 2:12 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Heading to Beirut on Friday via the BA £100 off long haul offer. Anyone on the same trip do make themselves known.

Interested in any latest insights regarding Beirut, places to go etc? I have a full day in Lebanon and was considering options including a day tour to the roman sites, but also possibly just a walkabout in town. I have the C-W-S approved restaurant, the Meyzan, so will be looking to dine there if anyone happens to be about.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 4:49 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by bisonrav
Interested in any latest insights regarding Beirut, places to go etc? I have a full day in Lebanon and was considering options including a day tour to the roman sites, but also possibly just a walkabout in town. I have the C-W-S approved restaurant, the Meyzan, so will be looking to dine there if anyone happens to be about.
I began typing up a load of ideas, but actually these articles - at either end of the spectrum - should give you some ideas
https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2...ants-gay-lgbtq
https://www.independent.co.uk/travel...-a8067056.html
What I would say about about Beirut is that it is surprisingly hilly and the pavement quality isn't great in many places. I get the impression that Beirut's locals are happy to take taxis even very short distances. Now you don't need to go that far, but perhaps plan a few strategic taxi hops in your day. Given this route's usefulness to time short, 140 TP hungry FTers, I think there would be value in recording what you end up doing.
bisonrav likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 1:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
What I would say about about Beirut is that it is surprisingly hilly and the pavement quality isn't great in many places.
Having walked 30 km around Beirut in my recent two day visit (that's just how I love seeing new places - walking about!) I can verify this statement wholeheartedly. Also that I absolutely was entranced and will be going back as soon as possible!
Old Nov 13, 2018, 1:50 am

Programs: BA GGL, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Heading to Beirut on Friday via the BA £100 off long haul offer. Anyone on the same trip do make themselves known.

Came back from this on Sunday. Have a look at the alternative Beirut tour website, cost $16.50 for around 4-5hour walking tour around some of the less known places and the guide mustafa was excellent- really good value and he took us to an armenian bakery that was excellent.

Oh and if you’ve booked the agoda hotel transfer word of warning the directions are pretty poor and the company didn’t actually turn up - i had to phone them and they weren’t too sure about it but sent a driver anyway who happily accepted the booking voucher. You need to come out of arrivals go across the road outside where the taxis are and to the upper level of the car park where i met them at b10. Enjoy the city, its pretty cool.
bisonrav likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 2:04 am

Advice would be to stay in the city then rather than doing a tour of the surrounding sites?
Old Nov 13, 2018, 4:17 am

Advice would be to stay in the city then rather than doing a tour of the surrounding sites?
If you’re doing the Fri in Sun out then there was enough for me to do in the city. I think i left the hotel at 09:00 and didn't get back until 20:00 and still had a fee things to check off.
bisonrav likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 5:21 am

Originally Posted by ceej123

If you’re doing the Fri in Sun out then there was enough for me to do in the city. I think i left the hotel at 09:00 and didn't get back until 20:00 and still had a fee things to check off.
Did you get a data SIM, and if so, where?
Old Nov 13, 2018, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
There is an offer by one of the mobile companies: touch | The leading mobile operator in Lebanon, costs $3.

Not sure if you can get one at the airport (perhaps if you turn right after entering the arrivals hall, I haven't been down there in a while), but any shop in town, including ones you would really not expect to sell SIM cards, should have this offer.
bisonrav likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 12:21 pm

Did you get a data SIM, and if so, where?
I didn’t bother in the end. Used here maps for offline navigation and the radisson has good wifi. If you do want one the phone shop in arrivals (immediately to your right) was open when i got through and we were around 45mins late so i would have a look there.
bisonrav likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 12:48 am

The alternative Beirut tour is an absolute must do it. Mustafa is literate, funny and intelligent and is just the perfect guide. It's a lot more than the standard tourist walkround and you come out better informed and fascinated. Fantastic destination.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 5:36 am

Programs: BAEC | qantas | IHG | Hilton Honors | Priority Pass | Nandos
Lots of valuable information here - I'm heading there on Friday (courtesy of the £100 off deal). Will look at the C-W-S links and the walking tour. What are the recommendations for transport between the airport and the city centre?
Old Nov 18, 2018, 7:34 am

I went for a hotel pickup via agoda, easy and met inside the terminal. But about double the price of this morning's uber.

Theres at least one person from FT heading out next Friday so shares my be available. Will give that person a nudge!

i didn't bother with a SIM, just loaded google maps up for offline. Everywhere is walkable if you don't mind hills, uber was generally recommended by people I spoke to.
peter h likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.