Wiki Posts
Search

BA UuA with miles credited to AA

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2018, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
BA UuA with miles credited to AA

I've read through a number of threads on this, but I'm having trouble finding a definitive answer.

I often book BA flights (BA metal and ticket) and credit the miles to AA. I'm also sitting on a large number of Avios which were the result of a credit card points transfer.

I'm planning another trip exUSA to LHR on BA and would like to use some of my Avios to upgrade from WT+ to CW. I've located flights on BA which have U availability on the dates that I need, but I wanted to check here before I book the ticket. Normally I book via the BA website using my BAEC account and during the purchase process I set the ticket to credit to my AA account. This allows me advance seat selection as well as the rest of the OW Sapphire benefits. I've been bitten in the past by some of BA's rules surrounding POUGs so I want to be sure that I get everything right from the start.
  • If I set the ticket up this way will I have any issues processing the upgrade after the flight is ticketed? Ticket will be a simple round trip on BA numbered flights on BA metal on BA stock. I plan to book my positioning flight on a separate itinerary.
  • Will BA want me to credit to their program in order to apply the upgrade and, if so, will I be able to switch back to my AA number without losing the upgrade?
  • Will I be able to apply the upgrade online even though the ticket has my AA number attached to it?
  • Are there still issues with applying UuAs online (incorrect fee calculation due to dual inventory fares)? If so then whats the best approach to use when calling in to make sure that the fees are calculated correctly? Can anyone give me an estimate of the fees for a USA-LHR RT from WT+ to CW?
  • To others who have done this, how much trouble have you had in getting the correct credit to AA? These flights will be toward the end of the year and will put me over the EXP threshold so I want to be sure that they credit correctly and in a timely manner.

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond. I really appreciate it.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 9:51 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by andrewp
If I set the ticket up this way will I have any issues processing the upgrade after the flight is ticketed? Ticket will be a simple round trip on BA numbered flights on BA metal on BA stock. I plan to book my positioning flight on a separate itinerary.
I've never had any issue upgrading using avios on a single itinerary with an AA element (though I've only ever started from the other direction). That said, it does need to be booked with BA on BA.com so, unless the cost is prohibitive, or you need another airline to position effectively, I'd suggest booking on AA with everything on one ticket. If anything does happen (weather, etc.) you would be left high and dry with two tickets.

Will BA want me to credit to their program in order to apply the upgrade and, if so, will I be able to switch back to my AA number without losing the upgrade?
  • Probably they will want to see your number in the booking at the time of booking to keep things straightfoward, but there would be no issue with using Finnair, Qatar, or Royal Jordanian's manage my booking tools to replace the number once you have been ticketed.
    • Originally Posted by andrewp
      Will I be able to apply the upgrade online even though the ticket has my AA number attached to it?
    It's a minor miracle if you can do it with your BA number attached. I'd always phone up to do this regardless.
    • Originally Posted by andrewp
      Are there still issues with applying UuAs online (incorrect fee calculation due to dual inventory fares)? If so then whats the best approach to use when calling in to make sure that the fees are calculated correctly? Can anyone give me an estimate of the fees for a USA-LHR RT from WT+ to CW?
    They can be very high - best thing to do is to quote the actual route and we can calculate it. $1,000 return doesn't sound atypical but ... YMMV.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 10:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cymro
I've never had any issue upgrading using avios on a single itinerary with an AA element (though I've only ever started from the other direction). That said, it does need to be booked with BA on BA.com so, unless the cost is prohibitive, or you need another airline to position effectively, I'd suggest booking on AA with everything on one ticket. If anything does happen (weather, etc.) you would be left high and dry with two tickets.
I found a couple of threads where it mentioned that AA segments created a problem with securing the BA long-haul UuA. I do know from experience that they create an issue with being offered a POUG, but that's a different animal. The larger issue in this case is that the combined itineraries are valid, but I can't get BA's site to present them as options. They're odd routings (PHX-SFO-LHR, for instance) but the limited number of choices presented means that they're never on the list. When I can get them to price through Google flights the difference in cost is several hundred over booking separate tickets. One option was priced at $2400 if I called BA vs $1650 booking them separately. I can book them via AA, but that kills the upgrade opportunity.

Probably they will want to see your number in the booking at the time of booking to keep things straightfoward, but there would be no issue with using Finnair, Qatar, or Royal Jordanian's manage my booking tools to replace the number once you have been ticketed.
I've read reports that getting my BA number un-stuck from the ticket can be problematic when it comes time to credit the miles. Is that not the case?

They can be very high - best thing to do is to quote the actual route and we can calculate it. $1,000 return doesn't sound atypical but ... YMMV.
I have several options here. All would be RT originating in either AUS, DEN, SFO, or LAX to LHR. Positioning flight would be to/from PHX. What do I need to calculate in order to come up with the right number? Is it essentially the difference in gov't taxes and carrier fees between the WT+ ticket and the CW ticket?
Old Oct 7, 2018, 10:23 am

I've read reports that getting my BA number un-stuck from the ticket can be problematic when it comes time to credit the miles. Is that not the case?
I don't really do multiple programmes but I think the risk is when the change is done at the lounge/check in desk. Do it well in advance (once everything is ticketed) and you *should* be fine. Given the fare difference I'd be happy to do separate tickets.

I have several options here. All would be RT originating in either AUS, DEN, SFO, or LAX to LHR. Positioning flight would be to/from PHX. What do I need to calculate in order to come up with the right number? Is it essentially the difference in gov't taxes and carrier fees between the WT+ ticket and the CW ticket?
It should be exactly that, yes. If you're comfortable with ITA it should be straightforward: it might get more complex if you book first and availability opens up later though.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Is it essentially the difference in gov't taxes and carrier fees between the WT+ ticket and the CW ticket?
I may have answered my own question here... Priced one of the T fares I'm looking at along with the I fare on the same flight. All of the taxes were the same but the carrier fees (YQ) differed by $736. Is that the cash cost associated with the UuA or is something else added in?
Old Oct 7, 2018, 11:03 am

I may have answered my own question here... Priced one of the T fares I'm looking at along with the I fare on the same flight. All of the taxes were the same but the carrier fees (YQ) differed by $736. Is that the cash cost associated with the UuA or is something else added in?
That sounds right.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.