Wiki Posts
Search

FRA this morning....

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2018, 2:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
FRA this morning....

FRA is never my favourite airport, but this morning was worse than usual. Waited for more than 45 minutes in the priority line for security at the D gates - the wait for 'normal passengers must have been well over the hour, if not 1.5+. Just slow, slow, slow... . Don't talk to me of German effeciency!

(Actually on BA ticketed as flight - but effects BA flights too... - 10 mins before departure still on bus...)
Old Oct 6, 2018, 2:51 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Nandos
Originally Posted by CKBA
FRA is never my favourite airport, but this morning was worse than usual. Waited for more than 45 minutes in the priority line for security at the D gates - the wait for 'normal passengers must have been well over the hour, if not 1.5+. Just slow, slow, slow... . Don't talk to me of German effeciency!

(Actually on BA ticketed as flight - but effects BA flights too... - 10 mins before departure still on bus...)
the at-gate security is terrible here. Totally agree.
Unfortunately quite a few german airports are like that. You could be early and then this screws you over!
Old Oct 6, 2018, 2:59 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Silver, Alitalia Freccia Alata
Just made a connection at FRA (B gates to B gates), and I waited over 1 hour for security. Everyone was commenting on how it’s usually not this bad and we’re shocked only 2(!) security lines were open. Every connection I make at FRA really is a challenge it must be said. Makes me greatful for a LHR connection. That being said I have a Non-Schengen-Scgengen connection that’s only 1 hour on Monday. We will see!
Old Oct 6, 2018, 3:09 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Vacation time here in Germany. It started last week where the airport was extremely busy (I was never so happy to have fast track than that day and to be HBO) and will continue this and next weekend.
If you add the globally inefficient FRA security staff on top of this ...
TPRun likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 3:21 am

Not just FRA today I’m afraid....ZRH is also the same. Start of school vacation so the airport is not it’s usual oasis of calm.

That being said, every security and passport line is open.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 7:12 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, FB Gold
Well, FRA is special. According to a recent report they are half as efficient as other airports in Germany (efficiency=how long per person to go through security, I think it was 30 sec outside FRA and 60 in FRA, but do not quote me on this). Of the few ocasions where I have serious problems with security, 90% is in FRA, no matter which terminal. Makes Heathrow look like paradise...
Old Oct 6, 2018, 7:29 am

Programs: AA EXP
The security checks at FRA are ridiculously inefficient. What really slows things down is the whole process of removing liquids and electronics from bags. So many people are completely clueless about liquids and take a huge amount of time getting them out of their bags.

Instead of having them stand aside and letting the next person go, they hold up the line and everyone has to wait. Even when lines are short, it takes a long time to get through the line.

CDG is worse, but that’s no great accomplishment.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Despite the boarding card having a nice yellow sticker saying that the gate closes 30 minutes before departure, the 'boarding complete was not until 10 mins after departure time, with pushback 30 after that. Arrival in PHL was an hour late - and given flights from Prague/madrid/Barcelona were about 30 mins early, we were late-late... .
Old Oct 6, 2018, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

...oh... and... Despite it being holiday time, there are a fixed numder of flights from the D gates, so the loading should be predictable. There seemed to be plenty of 'manager's (with their bikes) looking concerned.... .
Old Oct 6, 2018, 3:38 pm

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
I must have something like 300+ segments from FRA T2. It has never been a very enjoyable experience, but at the same time, I never spent more than 15 mins waiting at security.

You lot must all be very much a Pechvogel.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 7:17 pm

Programs: Avis - PP, Bonvoy - Plat, BA - Bro, Hilton - Dia, Miles&More - FTL, Skywards - Sil, Sixt - Plat
As far as I can recall, FRA T1 has always been quite painless. But FRA T2... my goodness...

It is clear that FRA2 having security at the boarding gates just does not work. I have had so many close shaves, typically when I have an empty BA flight to LHR or LCY to get on and the security is being shared with a fully packed Asian flight and the priority lane being closed. The longest to get through was around an hour, and the queue was not very long but the staff were so slow.

By the way, what is the Cathay Pacific lounge like? The JAL one is always packed and tends to have a poor selection, and the Luxx lounge really does not live up to the name (and is in the wrong terminal).
Old Oct 6, 2018, 10:21 pm

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Mackle
As far as I can recall, FRA T1 has always been quite painless. But FRA T2... my goodness...

It is clear that FRA2 having security at the boarding gates just does not work. I have had so many close shaves, typically when I have an empty BA flight to LHR or LCY to get on and the security is being shared with a fully packed Asian flight and the priority lane being closed. The longest to get through was around an hour, and the queue was not very long but the staff were so slow.

By the way, what is the Cathay Pacific lounge like? The JAL one is always packed and tends to have a poor selection, and the Luxx lounge really does not live up to the name (and is in the wrong terminal).

In the circumstances. the JL is the best lounge to be at. They are very efficient at calling the BA flight, and it is right by security.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 2:03 am
Suspended

Programs: M&S, Radisson
Originally Posted by LCY8737
I must have something like 300+ segments from FRA T2. It has never been a very enjoyable experience, but at the same time, I never spent more than 15 mins waiting at security.

You lot must all be very much a Pechvogel.

I agree. I'm from FRA. I don't fly as much as some here, but I've had between two and three dozens departures out of FRA T2 this year. Never spent more than 20 min in the security line.

The thread title "FRA this morning..." gives it away. Somehow people think they can generalize from one or two anecdotes.

Having said that, wait times in FRA have increased. But from the reports I read, it's been the worst at T1A. EDIT: And some transfer security (which I rarely have to use personally).

Last edited by 1flyer; Oct 7, 2018 at 2:08 am
Old Oct 7, 2018, 2:17 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
Originally Posted by Mackle

I have been going through FRA 4/5/6 times a year for the last 20 years (showing my age). Agree, security at the gate is not great (they sometimes used to do even an additional one at the US / BA gates in the days of the BA lounge in the basement).

CX lounge is only open around the CX flight times - only actually ever been there once and it was pretty average (though they didnt have any food put out).

agree, JL gets busy in the afternoons and they don't open the F section until later on (late afternoon / early evening) when their own flights depart. I find the offering ok though - if you like Kartoffelsalad, Frankfurter and Sauerkraut!
Old Oct 7, 2018, 2:34 am
Suspended

Programs: M&S, Radisson
Originally Posted by chris1979
CX lounge is only open around the CX flight times - only actually ever been there once and it was pretty average (though they didnt have any food put out).
Off-topic cont'd: I conjecture they might expand opening hours at the CX lounge next year (when CX increases frequency out of FRA somewhat).

As I've written on the forum before, I find the offering in the JL lounge (non-F part) miserable. I think their potato salad comes out of these 5 kg buckets:

https://www.metro.de/cat/de/products...001&position=0

Their Frankfurters are not decent, either. I mean, I understand lounges need to look at the $$$ and sometimes go for cheap convenience options. But when you have as tiny a selection as FRA's JL lounge, at least try to get those few things right. In the case of Frankfurters, it would mean getting them from one of the official producers or, at least, a decent butcher shop.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.