Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Enough is enough - Bye bye BA - I'm out

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2018, 12:48 am

Person flies with BA, person flies with other airlines...
Ancient Observer likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 1:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
I know I'm late to this thread, and I'm sure this point has already been made, but if, for example, one is flying from BLR-JFK, where both QR and BA are options, I could totally see opting for QR over BA. I certainly would. On the other hand, if flying from LHR to, say, CDG, flying QR is a slightly less attractive option.
navylad likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 1:09 am

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
I’m with OP. BA are terrible in terms of quality, and there’s this unbearable smugness from many of the staff who seem to believe that being the flag-bearer means they can get away with low standards. And unless you’re close enough to fly from LHR or LGW for all your flights their access to Europe on short haul is pretty woeful. I got transferred to BAEC Gold when they bought BMI and very rapidly switched to *A and flights mainly through MUC or FRA. Much happier now.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 1:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by roberino
I’m with OP. BA are terrible in terms of quality, and there’s this unbearable smugness from many of the staff who seem to believe that being the flag-bearer means they can get away with low standards. And unless you’re close enough to fly from LHR or LGW for all your flights their access to Europe on short haul is pretty woeful. I got transferred to BAEC Gold when they bought BMI and very rapidly switched to *A and flights mainly through MUC or FRA. Much happier now.
I don't think many would disagree that when there are alternatives, BA might not be one's top choice. But whether it's due to geography or addiction to OW carriers, oftentimes BA is the best choice.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 1:16 am

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Originally Posted by Blumie
I know I'm late to this thread, and I'm sure this point has already been made, but if, for example, one is flying from BLR-JFK, where both QR and BA are options, I could totally see opting for QR over BA. I certainly would. On the other hand, if flying from LHR to, say, CDG, flying QR is a slightly less attractive option.
Who’d want to fly from LHR-CDG? You’re going to one of the world’s largest hub airports for a one hour flight. There’s a ton of London airport with direct services to CDG, or better yet, take the train.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 1:19 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by Blumie
I...on the other hand, if flying from LHR to, say, CDG, flying QR is a slightly less attractive option.
would be good for TP though, for some reason, google flights doesn’t like that route however ;-)

Who’d want to fly from LHR-CDG? You’re going to one of the world’s largest hub airports for a one hour flight. There’s a ton of London airport with direct services to CDG, or better yet, take the train.
looking at random dates, U2 was cheapest in Y, BA Ł4 more and BA cheapest in J, add in quick access airside via the F wing and a nice dinner in the CCR, TPs and it being easier to get to LHR for me than any of the other airports (with the possible exception of LCY) and there’s your answer.

Last edited by navylad; Oct 6, 2018 at 1:26 am
Old Oct 6, 2018, 1:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Dude, it was just an example; I'm sure if you gave it some thought you could come up with other examples of routes on which BA is more convenient than QR. And with somewhere in the neighborhood of 15 daily flights between BA and AF, I'm guessing that about 2,000 people a day would want to fly LHR-CDG.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 1:55 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by OpenSky
Service on BA is still on point ( seriously, have you flown American, Delta, or United?
My last UA and DL flights are probably too long ago to count, but I had 6 AA flights during the last year, and every single experience was absolutely great. I have no reason to complain.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 1:58 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
The theme song for this thread: "No more tiers (enough is enough)"

I'll get me coat...

mtikky likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 2:01 am

There is more to consider than simple routes and service, and when BA do wrong I punish them. But they also have decent customer service. I recently bought a simple LHR-BKK-LHR for young Miss rapidex. Because she is 15 I was required to make a telephone booking, and at the time I thought it was very cheap. I had been looking online at prices, and that should have set alarm bells ringing, but I was really busy and moved on to other things.

When I started to fill in the form for Miss rapidex to travel alone, I suddenly realised the return date was 1 month later than it should have been. No wonder it was so cheap. I called BA and the lovely phone agent listened carefully, sent it up the chain to her supervisor and said she would call me back after they had listened to the tapes.

I was a bit worried about this and was wondering how much this would cost me. Sure enough I got a call back 1 hour later, the agent confirmed I had asked for the correct month and the previous agent had made a mistake.So BA confirmed my daughter on the flight back I wanted, at no charge to me. I saved about Ł800 over what I was initially expecting to pay.

So BA has problems and warts, but they suite me because they will sort out their mistakes, and not give me too much trouble along the way. The young Miss is flying out by herself where I will meet her at BKK. What could possibly go wrong?
argonath and navylad like this.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 2:59 am

Programs: BA, SW, IAG
Originally Posted by cupsandsaucers
The problem I have is that I always fly west. BA are still a solid choice flying to and from America.
I can't imagine flying BA if i was consistently flying east though. There simply are much better options as you have pointed out.

I always fly West too. And BA offer the only direct flight. So i'll use them.

Would like to try QR and others, but they dont go where I go.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 2:59 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by secretplantofightinflation
Some good points articulated well in this thread.

Travelling often to SYD, MEL and AKL; and living half way between BHX and CWL - Qatar is often most convenient for me (as is EK on a QF code from BHX...) - and these are usually my first option. Going to Australasia I won’t even look at BA as the schedule is weak and there is the relative hassle of getting to LHR.

However, there are times when BA also makes sense. When spending time at our offices in SIN or HKG - then BA suddenly becomes viable. Boarding at c 11pm on a Friday evening after a draining week, I can get a good 8 hour kip, a shower and a decent breakfast at LHR, and home for a weekend with the kids by 9am on Saturday. Yes, the hard product isn’t as glossy but you know what? Sometimes all you want is to get your head down.

As ever, horses for courses.

I very much support the core sentiments expressed here.

The thread has generated some very constructive, reasoned discussion, with much interesting comment encompassing many different angles and breadth of experience / opinion.

Yes, there was the inevitable cursory (and somewhat pointless) one-liner riposte of ‘Bye Bye’ ; and even one bizarre - but, fortunately, failed - appeal that the thread should be shut down before it actually got into full swing. Unless we want FT to become some sort of propaganda machine with all the trappings of communist-style censorship, it would make little sense to seek to stifle the sort of open debate seen here. It’s good to know that free speech, within published Forum rules, is something the Mods themselves self-evidently appreciate and encourage.

There is of course a dedicated QRPC forum, available to all interested. But the fact remains BAEC is a widely regarded as a more rounded and generally superior FFP - and because of that, many QR users (both occasional and frequent) are committed BAEC members. Moreover, QR just happen to be IAG’s largest individual shareholder, so the financial and operational links between the two businesses are rather unique.

We know that BA has a LOT of loyal fans. Many such fans also enjoy flying with QR (not to mention a myriad of other carriers too, of course) ; and many others have neither need nor wish to do so. But it is, IMO, misplaced judgement to take the view that those who find fault with BA service or product, versus other carriers, and then come on here to air their criticism or grievance, are on some sort of mission. The notion that anyone who might post to tell us us why their experiences with BA are inferior to those with other carriers are on ‘a mission’ would only hold water if you equally believe that those who enthuse unreservedly about BA are also on ‘a mission’.

Any successful, consumer-focussed, organisation would be just as interested to hear negative feedback from their customers (including those who have decided to take their custom elsewhere) as they would the positive. No business learns as much from talking to happy customers as when engaging with unhappy ones. FT is not a business, but it does well to adopt a similar attitude. Much of FT is dedicated to the provision of factual, objective, and carefully-researched information, all of it highly-valued by members. But the more subjective, opinion-oriented threads can be equally attractive and enriching, and long may they continue.

In summary, I would say that this thread has proved a lively illustration of the best of FT as a home for reasoned exchange of different experiences and keenly-held personal views ; and that only those who are bored by air travel (or perhaps have no cause to fly at all) would consider such debate to be tiresome or repetitive.

Old Oct 6, 2018, 3:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cupsandsaucers
The problem I have is that I always fly west. BA are still a solid choice flying to and from America.
I can't imagine flying BA if i was consistently flying east though. There simply are much better options as you have pointed out.
Unfortunately, when traveling to the UAE, KSA, Egypt, Kuwait and certain other Middle Eastern countries, BA still is the best OW option given the current diplomatic spat with Qatar. That is the principal reason I am Gold on BA. I managed to get one JFK-DOH-AUH flight in on QR before the crisis, which was wonderful, and quite a few flights on EY when they were still code sharing with AA, but it's been all BA for me since then. And while I have enough BA experience to understand the frustration expressed by some on this thread, it's not enough to make me switch.
navylad likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by navylad
Hotel transit is a good feature, but is only available if your transit is greater than 12 hours and there was no early connection (irrespective of if there was any availability on the earlier flight at the time of booking). When this is not available, the lounge really does become rather boring.

Opinions about food and seats are subjective, though it does seem odd to prefer the BA CW seat over all over options, rather than just resign onself to putting up with it.

You are a little confused about the QR hotel options. There are currently two.
  • You will most likely get a free hotel stay with relevant meals and transport to and from the airport if the transit time is over eight hours, and if there is no other available flight combination with a connection time under the magic eight hours.
  • You can book any combination of flights, and if the connection time is over twelve hours the +Qatar programme kicks in. This will give you one free night, or you can select two nights accommodation for a total of $100: no transport given, and you pay your own meals. The offer is available only on either outward, or inbound travel: though if two of you are travelling each one of you can select +Qatar, covering accommodation in both directions.
subject2load likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Geordie405
Well, funny that you mention it: having been loyally shopping at Albertsons for three and a bit years, we're now about to try Sprouts as - apparently - its fruit and veg are better quality and cheaper! We'll see
A ^ for Sprouts from here ... we use them a lot in PHX. But NOT exclusively.

Likewise here in JER. We have 2 major supermarkets, and the Waitrose branch just 150 yards away gets most of our custom. But not for everything, so we occasionally use the other major (Co-Op) for both bulk and specific items.

It's nice to have a choice, provided it meets the necessary parameters.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.