Enough is enough - Bye bye BA - I'm out

Old Oct 5, 2018, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by TWCLAM
All the middle eastern airlines spend( see also: loose) vast amounts on their hard & soft products it's how they managed to make such an impact in the industry. If you can't see that then that's for you.
Well being partly based in Dubai I don't know the others so well but I would suggest the reason EK have made profits for at least 22 years running (so no "loose") are i) having the right product at the right price, ii) a hub and spoke model that works being ideally located geographically and iii) access to a modern airport that operates 24 hours a day.

All about high volume not high margin. But what volume does mean is bigger aircraft and proper premium cabins even on short haul flights as opposed to economy seating with an empty middle chair.

As far as hard and soft products are concerned, well EK was doing 10 abreast but still gaining business while BA's old bangers were still 9 abreast.

Anyway what is the choice to Dubai these days....EK or Air Belgium?
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 1:43 pm

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
While the post seems a bit harsh I do quite understand it. BA has become poor in almost every area that I feel a bit pissed when I have to take them. BoB in SH was an eye opener for me and I have simce tried many airlines and I have to be honest they all beat BA hands down in almost every service aspect.

AF vs BA: AF has SH food, allows you to check your luggage through when you have 2 different tickets, food in longhaul Y is better (fresh bread, fruits and bigger meal), allows you to change/upgrade a ticket even on TA tickets, day of departure upgrades, better seats in J, perfect F, clean cabins, greeting for Platinum, smart cabins, better amenity kits (chnage evey quarter), amenity kit in Y, brand is modern and very frenchy, great marketing. BA has Gold lounge though and lower redemption in Europe.
DL vs BA: new cabins in Y (even 757) are modern and clean with IFE and live TV, bigger meals in longhaul Y, free drinks for all in Y with some drinks from the menu for Skyteam elite plus. Clean cabins. Improving cabin crews. BA has better loungs though DL’s lounge in Seattle is great.
A3 va BA: A3 economy and business are miles ahea of BA. clean cabins. BA’s seats are better as well as the lounges. Star lounges especially at CDG are much better.
SN vs BA: SN has better BoB. For flex Y and connecting passengers from longhaul free items are given from the menu. BA with better lounges but SN catching up. Miles and more is not as great as BA EC.
AY and AA recognise BA’s golds with free items from BoB. AY has great choices for BoB. BA’s lounges are better.

Old Oct 5, 2018, 2:18 pm

Programs: LH HON, BA LT Gold, AFKL ULTI, WOH Lifetime Globalist, Bonvoy Ambassador
Have to agree. BA has become uncompetitive if you compare equal with equal.
And they have no plan (and no need as they are always full) to change anything.
But there is of course something positive. They are much cheaper than anybody else these days. Especially in premium classes. Apart from tickets booked in the UK, BA is always the cheapest ex Germany, France, Ireland etc.
If I have to chose to pay 500 Euros less for BA First than LH Business I will of course go BA First any day. Thats why I have again qualified my GGL this year.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 2:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by MumbaiDan
Have to agree. BA has become uncompetitive if you compare equal with equal.
And they have no plan (and no need as they are always full) to change anything.
But there is of course something positive. They are much cheaper than anybody else these days. Especially in premium classes. Apart from tickets booked in the UK, BA is always the cheapest ex Germany, France, Ireland etc.
If I have to chose to pay 500 Euros less for BA First than LH Business I will of course go BA First any day. Thats why I have again qualified my GGL this year.
I just did a check for FRA-SYD r/t in business class in early November. Cheapest business class shows as CI (1 stop) at €3113 with BA (2 stops) at €6,007 with QR, TG, CX,, CA,QF, EK and EY all between €4700 anf €5000. Even looking at fares ignoring availability, BA business is still not the cheapest and only EUR30 cheaper than a 1 stop journey on QR

Not sute how this would count as much cheaper
Old Oct 5, 2018, 2:39 pm
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by TheJayHatch
I'm sure others will have plenty to add, but I do rather think this is a bit general. For those of us on mainly European flights, the combination of timetabling, safety, comfort, crew, lounges and relative ease of status will mean I won't stop using them for the foreseeable. As for the idiot point...well, if the cap fits
Seriously?
Old Oct 5, 2018, 2:54 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I just did a check for FRA-SYD r/t in business class in early November. Cheapest business class shows as CI (1 stop) at €3113 with BA (2 stops) at €6,007 with QR, TG, CX,, CA,QF, EK and EY all between €4700 anf €5000. Even looking at fares ignoring availability, BA business is still not the cheapest and only EUR30 cheaper than a 1 stop journey on QR

Not sute how this would count as much cheaper
Sorry cant follow either what figure related to what in your sentence or again what the relevance of a single case report, if someone else flies BA when they are cheaper and is consistently finding they are cheaper for his flying enough to eat to GGL, good for them. You may find with your flying there not. As has been established, everything really depends on your individual circumstances.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 3:03 pm

Programs: LH HON, BA LT Gold, AFKL ULTI, WOH Lifetime Globalist, Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by Dave Noble

Not sure how this would count as much cheaper
Dave. Check any destination to US, Japan, China ex Dublin not more than two weeks out (unfortunately I don't have the luxury to plan ahead much). BA is always the cheapest. And as I said, usually A Class fares well below LH Business. Of course there might be the odd day where this is different. For me this works a lot. And of course with A fares its really easy to requalify GGL. And I like the 3 Upgrade vouchers confirmed into revenue A a year when you do 3500 points.....
Old Oct 5, 2018, 3:32 pm

These type of threads always end up with the usual replies for and against....price, product, staff attitude, lounges etc. etc.

Why on earth Flyertalkers make such a song and dance about changing their airline of choice really is beyond me. Do you carry on like this when you change which supermarket chain you buy your weekly shopping?
T8191, navylad and flying4workNfun like this.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HIDDY
These type of threads always end up with the usual replies for and against....price, product, staff attitude, lounges etc. etc.

Why on earth Flyertalkers make such a song and dance about changing their airline of choice really is beyond me. Do you carry on like this when you change which supermarket chain you buy your weekly shopping?
I agree in general here. But if a supermarket, though it hasn't stopped carrying what I need, has became kind of shabby - dirty aisles, broken down carts - and started charging for things other markets don't - parking fees maybe - I'd switch and tell my friends and coworkers why. Isn't that's what's happening here, only it would be like if half my friends were deeply invested in some kind of loyalty program with the market, and would argue with me about how advantagous continuing to shop at that market is for them. Other friends tell me that it's the only convenient market, even the only one in their town. So they can't switch.
Isn't that the basic tenor of these threads?
Old Oct 5, 2018, 3:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Do you carry on like this when you change which supermarket chain you buy your weekly shopping?
Well, funny that you mention it: having been loyally shopping at Albertsons for three and a bit years, we're now about to try Sprouts as - apparently - its fruit and veg are better quality and cheaper! We'll see
HIDDY and T8191 like this.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by navylad

Sorry cant follow either what figure related to what in your sentence or again what the relevance of a single case report, if someone else flies BA when they are cheaper and is consistently finding they are cheaper for his flying enough to eat to GGL, good for them. You may find with your flying there not. As has been established, everything really depends on your individual circumstances.
The person did not state that for certain routes that he travels that they are checper . The statement was "They are much cheaper than anybody else these days. Especially in premium classes. Apart from tickets booked in the UK, BA is always the cheapest ex Germany, France, Ireland etc"

Originally Posted by MumbaiDan
Dave. Check any destination to US, Japan, China ex Dublin not more than two weeks out (unfortunately I don't have the luxury to plan ahead much). BA is always the cheapest..
For 20th October Dublin to Tokyo in business class
Lufthansa / Swiss are €2,881, QR is €3,425, ANA ia €3,875 and ba is €5,689

Last edited by Dave Noble; Oct 5, 2018 at 4:13 pm
Old Oct 5, 2018, 4:07 pm

Programs: TK E,*G, A-Club G
Originally Posted by Calum
QR and QRPC are double-edged swords, I fly them regularly when the price is right, just like I do with BA. However the product at QR is unreliable, it's great when the stars aline but pretty awful when they don't.

With BA, you have a decent amount of security that you are going to get what you have paid for.
The price is no longer right, moved to TK where I found cheaper J fares, as for QRPC for what's left of it, not that I trust M&S awards...
Old Oct 5, 2018, 4:32 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Sixt Gold
Originally Posted by tartempion
The price is no longer right, moved to TK where I found cheaper J fares, as for QRPC for what's left of it, not that I trust M&S awards...
That's a bit unfair. I am very critical of BA's hard product and that joke-hi-viz-CEO they have, but BAEC is quite competitive IMO. Status is fairly easy to attain and retain and SH redemptions are extremely convenient, especially if as Gold you get extra availability. I could often book same days European SH redemptions with 8k avios + £35 roundtrip when the same ticket was £200+ cash.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by Brisbane Road
And once the dust has settled and you’re looking at that next trip to North America, you’ll be straight back I bet.
Truly, I'm finding AA a better option to North America.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by rickg523
I agree in general here. But if a supermarket, though it hasn't stopped carrying what I need, has became kind of shabby - dirty aisles, broken down carts - and started charging for things other markets don't - parking fees maybe - I'd switch and tell my friends and coworkers why. Isn't that's what's happening here, only it would be like if half my friends were deeply invested in some kind of loyalty program with the market, and would argue with me about how advantagous continuing to shop at that market is for them. Other friends tell me that it's the only convenient market, even the only one in their town. So they can't switch.
Isn't that the basic tenor of these threads?
Fair enough...the OP wanted to vent so the forum provided him with the opportunity to do so.

However those who tell us every week why they no longer fly BA do seem to be on some sort of anti BA mission.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.