Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Enough is enough - Bye bye BA - I'm out

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2018, 5:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold
The main problem is that Qatar only fly to...err....Qatar.

And so as someone who lives 22mins away from Heathrow on the tube, BA is the obvious first choice for anywhere I want to go to directly. I have flown around a dozen segments with Qatar in J and I agree it's a superior product. I love flying with them. However, it's really only good for a handful of long-haul destinations to the east.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 5:44 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
The person did not state that for certain routes that he travels that they are checper . The statement was "They are much cheaper than anybody else these days. Especially in premium classes. Apart from tickets booked in the UK, BA is always the cheapest ex Germany, France, Ireland etc"
I see and you thought you’d prove them wrong by doing a random search. I think we can all apply a little intelligence and not take everything literally in discussions, but sure if you wish to be pedant fill your boots.

As I said good for him if he’s finding BA cheaper, good for you if your not, will it affect how I choose my flight, no, but you never know you might inspire someone to use a search engine rather than just booking direct without considering alternatives, and you do also make BAs point for the with reference to SH, most travellers are internet savvy, use price comparisons websites and purchase based on price, Prices shown on such sites often don’t include luggage, meals etc. so you BA has adapted to the market as much as I’m sure you and I dislike some of the changes.

Last edited by navylad; Oct 5, 2018 at 11:18 pm
Old Oct 5, 2018, 7:23 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Air travel seems cyclical. I used to travel BA and on the whole was generally happy. Couple of minor glitches meant that I switched to KLM/NW based in SOU was perfect on their waves to AMS to connect mostly to the USA.

Sometimes I’d travel AA domestically but once I had a servicing issue with them and following an overnight devaluation and this is pre Internet day it’s when you used to get your Advantage magazine through the post quarterly I ‘boycotted them’ even though a Boston to Dallas journey now meant an aircraft change at a US Airways hub adding hours to the journey.

We we had a complimentary Diamond Club Silver Card at work so travel switched again.. a fairly generous FF scheme with not too bad availability. I could credit VS to BD and for around 30 000 miles plus a co payment of around £500got a couple of J redemptions on various carriers to the US and Oman. Availability not too shabby with different Star Alliance carriers.

Come full circle that BA take over BD and AA and US merge. Status matched T3 and T5 lounges not bad . I find thst actuslly AA aren’t that bad domestically now. Indeed in an irrop and lost baggage AA handled both issued impeccably to the extent I thought I’d try them across the pond again, To my surprise I had a couple of the best flights with them.

Perfectly happy attain8ng Silver each year until this place lured me into Gold which I am really loving.

Club Europe isn’t the best but ithe new offerings aren’t thst bad, crew pretty good, legroom not brilliant but overall a pleasant way to travel in a bit of comfort on short hops around Europe.

Club World.. wasn’t the best apart from CWLCY but not tried the new service..predominantly put off by seat and lack of direct aisle access will see what happens next year.

Have just started my second year as Gold. I enjoy The First Wing check in and security, extra Avios redemptions on reward flight saver, great crews, being recognised by the lounge hosts at Galleries First even though I only travel once a month on average through T5, I also like double Avios and free seat assignments.

I also like BA holidays and their ability to pay a token deposit up,to a year in advance securing premium class travel and hotels with the balance due now just 5 weeks before travel, This has been the single most valuable tool to attaining status as I would never have been able to afford to pay for 3x J class tickets outright at once but I have been able,to pay the deposits and balances plus a great list,of future bookings looks good on the app and in your account.

For these reasons I won’t even look outside Oneworld to keep these benefits that I enjoy and make my leisure travel comfortable. People keep saying to me why haven’t you tried Etihad or Emirates or Turkish and part of me wants to but I don’t want to,lose what I’ve got.

Plus BA have been amazing to my family twice in extreme medical situations on both times doing something thst they were not obliged to do... that also buys a lot of goodwill over a mediocre afternoon tea or sticky tray table or delayed baggage or being inconvenienced by having to get new bank cards...

Crampedin13A and itsmeitisss like this.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 7:39 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn

Plus BA have been amazing to my family twice in extreme medical situations on both times doing something thst they were not obliged to do... that also buys a lot of goodwill over a mediocre afternoon tea or sticky tray table or delayed baggage or being inconvenienced by having to get new bank cards...

Although they are a totally different company today I also will never forget what BA did for me when I got the dreaded phone call that I needed to get back to the UK from Toronto with less than 4 hours to get the flight booked and up to the airport and to see my Dad for the last time. They basically gave me the cheapest fare I'd ever had and didn't ask me for any death certificate afterwards. I owe them a lot of loyalty for that gesture that they did not need to provide
Old Oct 5, 2018, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by LCY8737

At the same time, if a connection is required anyway, I'm very happy to go on QR.

Well, there's a point! Many, including BA, forget there's a more than a handful of UK passenger based outside the London area; for whom most long-haul journeys involve a connection.

I've become a northerner, with good access to Manchester airport. The Lufthansa/StarA family serve me extremely well through ARN, BRU, CPH, FRA, IST, LIS, MUC, SIN and VIE. Probably other places I haven't thought of ...

For OneWorld, IB has an awkward and infrequent connection through Madrid, AY can get me through HEL, and BA gives me Heathrow only - but QR provides at least twice daily wide-body connections through Doha to an incredibly diverse network in Asia and Africa, taking care of my travels east and south.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Adstring

And so as someone who lives 22mins away from Heathrow on the tube, BA is the obvious first choice for anywhere I want to go to directly. I have flown around a dozen segments with Qatar in J and I agree it's a superior product. I love flying with them. However, it's really only good for a handful of long-haul destinations to the east.
Sure, but that's an Adstring-centric, Heathrow centred, view of the world.

The QR network is much, much wider than BA's, meaning that UK-based non-Adstrings, flying say to Auckland, Jakarta or Penang can get there in great comfort and with with just one stop from half a dozen airports in the UK: including Cardiff!
Old Oct 5, 2018, 9:26 pm

Programs: BA GGL/ VS Gold. Former: UA 1K (10 years+) , EY partners Plat, SQ PPS Club, SU Gold, LH SEN/HON
Originally Posted by WeleaseBwian
So after several disappointing flights on BA - dirty / broken seats, poor service - we decided to spend our hard earned with QR for a J return LHR-DOH-KUL. What an eye-opener that turned out to be. By every conceivable metric QR is simply miles ahead of Club World and in many areas better than BA F as well. There is nothing - absolutely nothing that BA CW has to offer that can be considered even close to the QR J experience. Even Mrs. B (who, if moaning and criticising was an Olympic sport could single handedly take the gold, silver and bronze medals) was very impressed and wanted to know why we hadn't tried other airlines years ago instead of wasting money on BA. (Had no answer for that one!)

(Just to add a bit of context here - from 2003-2013 I was either a GCH or SCH, flying quite a bit for work and we were enjoying Amex 241s for leisure travel in CW or F. During that time I was a staunch BA apologist when anyone criticized them. Changed job in 2013 - no more work travel so the 241s and Avios dried up and through some weird sense of loyalty we stuck with BA, paying for CW tickets.)

Flying QR J has made us realise just how far BA has fallen behind it's competitors and I don't intend to spend a single penny with them again. When QR give you better than BA F class service in a seat that is as good as BA F all at a J class price, you'd be nuts to give your money to BA.

Here's a few messages to various groups of people....

To anyone using Avios/241:- Spending c.£500 on taxes to get an F class flight on BA is just about understandable I guess.

To the corporate monkeys who get their tickets paid for:- Get a new job, your employer hates you and has no respect for you if they send you on BA. Move to a company with a better travel policy.

To anyone thinking of spending money with BA:- Don't do it. You're an idiot if you do. There's so much better out there.

What I find most interesting is that QR has an ownership stake in BA. The only thing wrong with Club World today is the seat, Its outdated for what it is, and cramped and no longer competitive with what is international business class today.

Service on BA is still on point ( seriously, have you flown American, Delta, or United?0
The food has gotten better with the Do&Co situation, and bedding is right with White &Co.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 9:44 pm

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Sure, but that's an Adstring-centric, Heathrow centred, view of the world.

The QR network is much, much wider than BA's, meaning that UK-based non-Adstrings, flying say to Auckland, Jakarta or Penang can get there in great comfort and with with just one stop from half a dozen airports in the UK: including Cardiff!
Going east, QR is ok and I used QR from Cardiff last month onward to Seoul. 9 hrs and 40 minutes in DOH becomes rather boring. Food in the QR lounges is ok, but basically sandwich based. It used to be better. If I do it again, maybe I will go into town but I'd have to drag my hand luggage with me...There isn't one standard seat on QR either. The older seat on the 777 is far from perfect.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
Going east, QR is ok and I used QR from Cardiff last month onward to Seoul. 9 hrs and 40 minutes in DOH becomes rather boring. Food in the QR lounges is ok, but basically sandwich based. It used to be better. If I do it again, maybe I will go into town but I'd have to drag my hand luggage with me...There isn't one standard seat on QR either. The older seat on the 777 is far from perfect.
You might have missed the upstairs restaurant part of the Doha lounge. The food format there is very similar to that in the BA FCL at Heathrow, but covering a wider range of options, and with (generally) very helpful staff - also a full-service bar section which many find attractive.

There are secuity lockers in the lounge for luggage. My understanding is you can leave stuff there if you adventure into town.

Don't forget, under certain conditions (which generally mean an unavoidable long connection), QR will give you a hotel room: or you can freely reserve flights with a connection time such as yours, then book a room at the Intercontinental etc under the Qatar+ programme for $50.

Seat beauty is in the eye of the beholder. But for many the 777 seats beat BA's CW offer by a generous margin: and for a few of us the QR777 seats give a much better sleep than the herringboney, single-but-tight seats on QR's more modern aircraft.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 11:02 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by Adstring
And for many in the UK, effectively BA only fly to...err....London. I can see why it makes a lot of sense for those who view LHR as the UK's only point of departure to use BA's services but it makes far less sense for those of us who might otherwise opt for BA but have been stripped of any real opportunity to fly direct out of the country with them.

In such circumstances convenience is pretty much on a par so the issues of quality and value come to the fore. Consequently many reject BA's product and choose the better alternatives.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by tartempion
The price is no longer right, moved to TK where I found cheaper J fares, as for QRPC for what's left of it, not that I trust M&S awards...
I can usually find a J ticket to anywhere for a price that's £500-1000 cheaper than other carriers, if money were no object and £500 was pennies, than sure I'd go to other carriers but as it as, BA usually is at a price I think is reasonable for the service they give.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 11:57 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
You might have missed the upstairs restaurant part of the Doha lounge. The food format there is very similar to that in the BA FCL at Heathrow, but covering a wider range of options, and with (generally) very helpful staff - also a full-service bar section which many find attractive.

There are secuity lockers in the lounge for luggage. My understanding is you can leave stuff there if you adventure into town.

Don't forget, under certain conditions (which generally mean an unavoidable long connection), QR will give you a hotel room: or you can freely reserve flights with a connection time such as yours, then book a room at the Intercontinental etc under the Qatar+ programme for $50.

Seat beauty is in the eye of the beholder. But for many the 777 seats beat BA's CW offer by a generous margin: and for a few of us the QR777 seats give a much better sleep than the herringboney, single-but-tight seats on QR's more modern aircraft.
i certainly wouldn’t agree that the range of food, or indeed quality, of the upstairss restaurant is better than GFL, although I do enjoy the Beef Sandwich on Rye in the downstairs restaurant, although unfortunately that was closed during my east bound transit earlier this week.

Hotel transit is a good feature, but is only available if your transit is greater than 12 hours and there was no early connection (irrespective of if there was any availability on the earlier flight at the time of booking). When this is not available, the lounge really does become rather boring.

QR certainly value the clinliness of their cabins above BA, which is mostly a positive but rarely can be a negative (when the entire J cabin wish to use the fasciitis after the Captain’s 10 minutes to landing call, a few are using that as the time to get changed and CC insight on you waiting for them to make the toilet beautiful before you can use it. Equally, I think BA could look after their cabins a little better (since were talking toilets, the practice of ditching the tea does tend to leave unsightly stains for example).

QRs catering has improved recently IMHO, BA’s continues to meet my expectations and I enjoy both, others may well disagree and I’m not a fussy eater.

Where QR wins hands down is non-alcoholic drink options for those of us who don’t drink; I do enjoy a glass of So Jennie or a Mocktail and, whisky accepting demographic differences between the customer bases, this is certainly an area that BA could improve upon at little expense.

i personally prefer BAs current seat to QR’s and disappointed BA will be switching to the same seat; I did find on today’s flight that the coffin footwell is slightly better on 1A/K on the QR Dreamliner so that is a small mercy at least. I do like BA’s new J bedding.

I find those destinations with good connections using QR are better served by P2P connections from LON, but QR does provide some great destinations not served directly by P2P allbeit with often lengthy connections and erksome checked luggage policy for layovers. Thanks to government subsidy QR sometimes presents good value for money and is a good way to maximise TPs on a trip. Mostly this is at the expense of convience and experience (even if flying from a non-LON UK destination). It was fantastic for flights to MEL, for example, with a nice lengthy flight to get some kip, but splitting your moderate long-haul into 2 short long-hauls often comes at the expense of decent sleep.

having not experienced significant IRROPS on QR myself disappointing to learn there not great in this thread and one should also remember the inbound flight will also not be covered by our favourite EC directive.

My airline choice will continue to be dictated by a number of factors (value including added value, convience, experience generally in that order) and I will continue to enjoy flights with BA as well as other airlines and will continue to remain non-judgemental of others decisions and choices taken to suit their needs.
KeaneJohn likes this.

Last edited by navylad; Oct 6, 2018 at 12:33 am
Old Oct 6, 2018, 12:22 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by navylad
Hotel transit is a good feature, but is only available if your transit is greater than 12 hours and there was no early connection (irrespective of if there was any availability on the earlier flight at the time of booking).
If nothing has changed, it's 8 hours, not 12

For the rest about airline of choice, I more or less agree; anyone has their personal preferences.
Personally I really love BAEC & OW, I like BA - especially the crew - but I surely prefer AA/QR wide body planes.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 12:27 am

Programs: BA Gold
Some good points articulated well in this thread.

Travelling often to SYD, MEL and AKL; and living half way between BHX and CWL - Qatar is often most convenient for me (as is EK on a QF code from BHX...) - and these are usually my first option. Going to Australasia I won’t even look at BA as the schedule is weak and there is the relative hassle of getting to LHR.

However, there are times when BA also makes sense. When spending time at our offices in SIN or HKG - then BA suddenly becomes viable. Boarding at c 11pm on a Friday evening after a draining week, I can get a good 8 hour kip, a shower and a decent breakfast at LHR, and home for a weekend with the kids by 9am on Saturday. Yes, the hard product isn’t as glossy but you know what? Sometimes all you want is to get your head down.

As ever, horses for courses.
navylad likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 12:38 am

Originally Posted by Lefly
If nothing has changed, it's 8 hours, not 12

For the rest about airline of choice, I more or less agree; anyone has their personal preferences.
Personally I really love BAEC & OW, I like BA - especially the crew - but I surely prefer AA/QR wide body planes.
Your quite right, just checked the QR website, my apologies.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.