Enough is enough - Bye bye BA - I'm out

Old Oct 8, 2018, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH SEN, EK ex-Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by T8191
Slightly OT, but yes ... a lot of difference beween a pure TP run and a TP-efficient holiday! Currently looking at a LON-PHL-DCA with AA to visit friends in VA, generating a few more TPs than a simple LHR-IAD with BA. We have the time to meander to where were going, and can choose different airlines that go where we want to be.
Oh, absolutely. I do that myself, of course. In that sense I'm also a mileage runner. I've also done weekend city trips because I still needed some points/miles. Just never pure runs where I didn't even leave the airport.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 2:30 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Slightly OT, but yes ... a lot of difference beween a pure TP run and a TP-efficient holiday! Currently looking at a LON-PHL-DCA with AA to visit friends in VA, generating a few more TPs than a simple LHR-IAD with BA. We have the time to meander to where we’re going, and can choose different airlines that go where we want to be.
It's the easiest way to TP by my thinking too, although I confess I did once do MAN-SAT via PHL and PHX to get a second 140TP leg on the USA connection.

Funny you mention this particular route, for Washington DC JFK/PHL/BOS would be my choice anyway to arrive at DCA, rather than IAD. I did BWI last time, just to get a 787 and do something different, nice airport to arrive at in the evening for smooth border/customs, but the public transport options are not good with the BA arrival time. MARC trains very limited in the evening, Amtrak seemed to require booking a specific train, ended up on the bus to Greenbelt and then metro. Got the sense that the bus took some sort of scenic route.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 2:42 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by HIDDY
the site owners must love these type of threads.
As opposed to at least some of the excellent Mods and Ambassadors of this forum who, in the not too distant past, have not always taken kindly to positive comments about QR appearing on the BAEC forum.
simonrp84 likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 2:57 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
I don't fly BA often, but it is the only airline that I have flown long haul in all four of their cabin classes. F and PE were well up to expectation, but Business and Economy were disappointing. Service, more hit than miss, in my experience.

Unless there was a great deal in J, I would probably look at the competition.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 3:01 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer
As opposed to at least some of the excellent Mods and Ambassadors of this forum who, in the not too distant past, have not always taken kindly to positive comments about QR appearing on the BAEC forum.
Having just attended an event today at which the principal speaker was The Donald, your post reminds me of one of his favourite expressions: "FAKE NEWS". I am quite certain that no-one from that esteemed list has any problems with anyone posting positive or negative comments about anything provided that it adheres to the FlyerTalk Rules.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 4:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
For me it's less a case of "bye bye" and more a case of "I don't like you as much as I used to, and now it's a marriage of convenience". I am playing away from home more these days on OW partners who generally offer a better service, but BA still has a role to play. My last CE experience was good, however my last ET was woeful in practically every sense and at every stage of the flight. The inconsistency is baffling.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 5:41 pm

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer

I think its more the endless pigeon holing of QR into every possible discussion by certain posters (cough cough) at any given opportunity that people tire of

"IFE on my flight this AM was broker" - "IFE never breaks on QR"
"The Cab Sav on CW this AM was served chilled" - "The Cab Sav on QR is always served at EXACTLY the right temp"
etc...
etc...

The latest seems to be in any conversation about BA F that QR Q suites are much better than BA F in every conceivable way, despite QR somehow getting 10 more seats into the same space BA fits 14
Andriyko, HIDDY, Sealink and 3 others like this.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 6:44 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj
I think its more the endless pigeon holing of QR into every possible discussion by certain posters (cough cough) at any given opportunity that people tire of

"IFE on my flight this AM was broker" - "IFE never breaks on QR"
"The Cab Sav on CW this AM was served chilled" - "The Cab Sav on QR is always served at EXACTLY the right temp"
etc...
etc...

The latest seems to be in any conversation about BA F that QR Q suites are much better than BA F in every conceivable way, despite QR somehow getting 10 more seats into the same space BA fits 14
Yet every airline section, including QR, on Flyer Talk has numerous tales of woe!!!
PUCCI GALORE likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 7:27 pm

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by Sealink
Yet every airline section, including QR, on Flyer Talk has numerous tales of woe!!!
Are the same folk constantly referencing QR on those forums too?
Old Oct 9, 2018, 11:52 pm

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by Sealink
I recall switching my allegiance from UA to BA sometime in 2010. On the UA forum I was told in no uncertain terms how stupid I was to do so, because clearly UA was so much better.

I think it is fairly natural that the BA fanboys hang out on the BA forum, and don't like their favourite airline being criticised.
Dover2Golf likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 12:34 am

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
Originally Posted by TheJayHatch
[...] For those of us on mainly European flights, the combination of timetabling, safety, comfort, crew, lounges and relative ease of status will mean I won't stop using them for the foreseeable. [...]
Comfort in club Europe? Is there such a thing in the cramped space they call a seat??? 🤔🙄
Dover2Golf likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 1:52 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
Originally Posted by DeltaFlyingProf
Comfort in club Europe? Is there such a thing in the cramped space they call a seat??? ����
Not really. However an exit row seat with a blocked seat next to it (theoretical seating) is as good as it gets in Europe. Bulkhead seats are pretty okay too.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 1:48 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier des Internautes Amables; BAEC
Comfort in club Europe? Is there such a thing in the cramped space they call a seat??? 🤔🙄
I guess its all relative, but personally speaking i find I can always get an exit seat in ET and, normally, a bulk head in CE, so I'm pretty happy for my 90min flights. The seats are otherwise pretty cramped but that's not particularly different to other EU carriers. Until the company lets me go private, I'm quite happy with BA.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 2:48 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
actually Dear, if you can fit in the seat, if theres no one next you, and if your feet are less than size 12 with proportionally sized leg 😁- then lots of us are quite comfortable thank you.

What at amazes me is is all this fuss and sarcasm after nearly 40 years. It was such a bad idea that it was immediately adopted throughout Europe. There are no exceptions because it suits the market, it would appear. Make no mistake, First Class it is not.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 11:08 am

Slightly OT, but yes ... a lot of difference beween a pure TP run and a TP-efficient holiday! Currently looking at a LON-PHL-DCA with AA to visit friends in VA, generating a few more TPs than a simple LHR-IAD with BA. We have the time to meander to where were going, and can choose different airlines that go where we want to be.
Willingly going through PHL is slightly insane. I understand the TP thing, but pick anywhere other than PHL

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.