Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA’s former “Elizabethan Service’

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2018, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by frandrake
The Golden Age of air travel, I am so sad to have missed that!

Some amarcord pictures here of proper premium service, particularly love the complimentary cigarettes: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/a...-40-years.html

PS Before the thought-polizei opens fire on me, no I am not a Daily Mail reader, I found the article via Google.
But you read it, and, own up, you enjoyed it and will be back for more when you subscribe to one of the UK's best papers.
ianwall likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 1:56 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by frandrake
The Golden Age of air travel, I am so sad to have missed that!
This might be an unpopular opinion but we are currently living in the golden age of air travel. Yes, catering used to be much better than what you'd get today but flying was significantly more dangerous (particularly if we go back to the 1950s-1960s), flying was significantly more expensive and the hard product wasn't quite as impressive as the best F/J cabins currently available.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 2:41 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Sixt Gold
Golden Age: I agree today we fly with better quality and safety standards. Above all, we enjoy lie flat seats which are a game changer IMO. I was referring to the allure of flying, the fact that you "dressed up" to fly rather than presenting yourself in an Adidas sweatsuit when flying long haul. There was something special about flying and in particular flying premium. Today, you have to reach for ultra luxury fares to recreate that feeling IMO.

PS LOL I did not imagine the thought-SS to even police links one clicks on! And yes, I indeed enjoyed the pics!
Old Oct 5, 2018, 5:37 pm

Be careful what you wish for. AC may get the wrong end of the stick and bring back the "Elizabethans" There would be some moaning then.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 5:53 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by WorldLux
This might be an unpopular opinion but we are currently living in the golden age of air travel. Yes, catering used to be much better than what you'd get today but flying was significantly more dangerous (particularly if we go back to the 1950s-1960s), flying was significantly more expensive and the hard product wasn't quite as impressive as the best F/J cabins currently available.
I would say the Golden Age on BA was at least 10 years ago. From Canada these days they are very expensive with the same hard product and shabbier service
Old Oct 5, 2018, 6:24 pm

Be careful what you wish for. AC may get the wrong end of the stick and bring back the "Elizabethans" There would be some moaning then.
I think there would be some moaning if they did. My first experience of a BA (actually BEA) Elizabethan was on a trip from Manchester to Southampton in about 1969. That Elizabethan had four piston engines and the flight stuck in my memory because takeoff was delayed by the need to off-load some fuel!

I seem to recall that the "Elizabethan" menus were introduced at about the same time as the 747-100, were network-wide and there were versions in both First and Economy. Business class was not introduced until a little later
Old Oct 5, 2018, 8:55 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
I'm slightly entering the field of conjecture, but I'd think the meals offered on those single flights are still at most a variant of something the caterer offers as standard. When was the last time you saw the sort of cuisine the OP describes on an aircraft?
Though the caterers have gotten pretty good at special meals when they've got some time to work on them. Need or want a gluten-free dairy-free halal South American main course that was not made in a facility with tree nuts? The airline can likely arrange it on request with enough lead time.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 11:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by WorldLux
I much prefer the word we are in now where I can fly nonstop on routes over 8000 miles at inexpensive fares allowing me to hop back and forth between North America and Asia and other similar stage lengths. If now is the golden age, I suppose the Platinum age is still yet to come when we can see routes like LHR-SYD, JFK-SYD nonstop with at least 3X frequency per day to provide the best possible schedules.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 12:40 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by matrixwalker2012
I much prefer the word we are in now where I can fly nonstop on routes over 8000 miles at inexpensive fares allowing me to hop back and forth between North America and Asia and other similar stage lengths. If now is the golden age, I suppose the Platinum age is still yet to come when we can see routes like LHR-SYD, JFK-SYD nonstop with at least 3X frequency per day to provide the best possible schedules.
The question is however whether those routes will ever last. SQ flew SIN-NYC over a decade ago and discontinued the route 2013. If fuel prices go up, then we might see the recently announced/launched ultra long-haul flights disappear again as they'll never be as economical as shorter flights. We'll have to wait and see whether it's going to get better or worse.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 2:06 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Can I help you
It was in the late 70’s.
Around 1977 for the Queen's Silver Jubilee?

It was Y, but was a small separate cabin behind F on the 747s, I think. No films were shown on the big screen.

Not sure how passengers sat there instead of normal Y, so perhaps there was premium.

History of the introduction of rules/services on BA... Post 55
Old Oct 6, 2018, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
We only had First Class and economy back in the day, you may remember the picture on the reverse of the film screen had an Elizabethan theme?
We did show a films in all cabins but not until the meal service was finished and most of the time the film stopped working half way through.
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 2:46 am

If you want centuries old food, I can think of a few airlines who oblige.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 3:45 am

Originally Posted by Can I help you
We did show a films in all cabins but not until the meal service was finished and most of the time the film stopped working half way through.
yes that was very different, bc everyone had to watch the same thing you were all in it together and you got bonus atmosphere from the cabin chuckling at the same time etc. I used to fly to West Africa in the nineties on BA and KLM predominantly, I was in Y going to Accra one night and the cabin was packed full of Ghanaians. Either before or after the movie they had some show which was playing music videos and one of them was Arrested Development's Everyday People:

By the end of the first chorus over half the cabin was clapping and singing along, it was a lovely moment and everyone was in a noticeably better mood afterwards. Though if we'd had flyertalk then there would doubtless have been multiple posts the next morning about the acceptability or otherwise of such public displays of rhythm
Old Oct 6, 2018, 4:29 am

Programs: BA Gold, AZAL Gold, TK Elite, KC Nomad Club Blue
Is that Roger Moore in picture #5 in the DM article?
Old Oct 6, 2018, 6:28 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
A skillful carving of beef at your seat in F was a great treat. Properly cooked beef with Lynch Bages of a decent vintage. A decent way to use some time on the longer-haul flights.
F is expensive - there is no reason why good food cannot be served........................but the bean-counters will not allow it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.