Assistance check in

Old Oct 4, 2018, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Assistance check in

On a recent return flight in CE, bit peeved when patiently waiting at check in that a lady in a wheelchair travelling in ET was pushed to the front of our queue just in front of us. Why is that and not to the front of one of the 2 ET queues, as she was booked in that cabin bearing in mind CE is a premium product and smaller check in queue is a selling point? Understand of course she needs assistance and can't queue up but time taken to explain her woes and details of accident on holiday to agent was a hold up. Was this correct procedure? Thanks
Old Oct 4, 2018, 1:51 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by paulaf
... Was this correct procedure? Thanks
Cutting those travelling in a wheelchair or having problems standing some slack?

PS: What if the passenger in question held status?
Cymro and Lefly like this.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

As I said yes cut them some slack but in their correct queue for their cabin booked?
Old Oct 4, 2018, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

We weren't the only people commenting.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 2:01 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by WorldLux
Cutting those travelling in a wheelchair or having problems standing some slack?
I am reading the OP's post to say:
"There were 3 queues to cut into, one of which was CE.

The assistance staff chose the CE queue, even though choosing another queue would have had the same outcome for the passenger and the assistance provider.

Since there was only one queue for CE, it brought the check-in process for the whole CE check-in to come to a halt while ET check-in continued as there were two queues.

Did they really need to choose the CE queue when they could have chosen ANY and got exactly the same outcome for the passenger and the assistance if they chose another queue to cut into?"

To me, it wasn't about not cutting slack for anyone in a wheelchair. It was a question on appropriate procedure in terms of picking the queue.

I think I know where the OP is coming from, and I say this as someone with a problem standing for an extended period due to a long-standing injury but not utilising airport assistance, and someone who tends to be in CE queue...
wrp96 and alpenlupe like this.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

Exactly LTNPhobia, I saw her BP so knew she was ET, sticking my neck out too I would say she did not have status. So do they always choose the CE queue, if so I'll wind my neck in next time?
Old Oct 4, 2018, 2:08 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

ET or CE wouldn't really matter.

She would have been a pre-boarder which trumps CE or ET able passengers waiting in the normal group boarding way. Cutting some slack and showing patience would have been wiser.
KeaneJohn likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 2:18 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
NOW realise that it is at the check in and not a boarding related issue. Sorry for me being thick. :-)

Last edited by GlasgowCyclops; Oct 4, 2018 at 2:29 pm
Old Oct 4, 2018, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
was this actually at check-in or at the gate?

Which airport was this at?
Old Oct 4, 2018, 2:22 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
To me, it wasn't about not cutting slack for anyone in a wheelchair. It was a question on appropriate procedure in terms of picking the queue.
There's no way of knowing, given the lack of details. CE lines tend to move a little quicker than ET lines. The ET desks may have just called new passengers whereas the CE desk was nearly done and ready to call the wheelchair. The access to the front of the ET lines may have been obstructed by luggage standing around and waiting to be dropped off, making it easier and simpler to use the CE lines. Assistance staff is not clairvoyant and can predict that the passenger will talk endlessly to the check-in agent.

It certainly doesn't justify going mildly DYKWIA and peek on the wheelchair passenger's boarding pass to check travel class and status.
Bat 21 likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 2:24 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club and OnBusiness
Unable to provide any insight on procedure, but to avoid talking at crossed purposes the OP referred to queues for checking in, not boarding
Old Oct 4, 2018, 2:25 pm

Exactly LTNPhobia, I saw her BP so knew she was ET, sticking my neck out too I would say she did not have status. So do they always choose the CE queue, if so I'll wind my neck in next time?
Ahhh Now I see that it is CHECK IN. No this is not normal. Normally, people wait their turn. Only, get to the front at boarding.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by Ned1968
Unable to provide any insight on procedure, but to avoid talking at crossed purposes the OP referred to queues for checking in, not boarding
Yes I now realise my mistake. Well read.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by PETER01
She would have been a pre-boarder which trumps CE or ET able passengers waiting in the normal group boarding way. Cutting some slack and showing patience would have been wiser.
As would reading what the OP said?

On a recent return flight in CE, bit peeved when patiently waiting at check in
Nothing to do with group boarding I would suggest?
alpenlupe likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 2:42 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by WorldLux

It certainly doesn't justify going mildly DYKWIA and peek on the wheelchair passenger's boarding pass to check travel class and status.
I agree on that count.

However, some airports seem to have their 'policy' (not sure about their official policy but based on consistent observation) of consistently bringing everyone with wheelchair assistance to the CE check-in queue, and that can actually have quite a bit of an effect on the queue if there are many people being brought to the front of the CE line when there is only one CE check-in desk.

In fact, often there are people in any queue who are less likely to be able to wait in the queue comfortably than someone in a wheelchair such as those who are frail etc., so the situation really needs to be looked a bit more holistically than a simple matter of "Cut some slack for those who are unfortunate enough to need a wheelchair" etc. As far as I can see, no-one is begrudging their right to be brought to the front of a line, but merely questioning the procedure of using the CE queue in particular in the OP's case.

As with what I have seen at certain airports, since it's unlikely that everyone in a wheelchair is in CE or have status, it seems a little strange to concentrate it on a single CE check-in desk when there are multiple lines to choose from.

While I may sound rather unsympathetic, I can assure you I'm not. I was told to expected to have been in a wheelchair by now, and I do face that prospect in not too distant a future even though I am still fully mobile. However, even from that point of view I do not think it would be procedurally right to consistently pick a single line rather than spreading the effects, particularly when the line consistently affected is a premium one, unless there is a good reason to do so such as the affected passenger in premium cabin or status, or using the premium check-in brings practical benefit to the assistance system or the passenger..
wrp96 likes this.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Oct 4, 2018 at 4:16 pm Reason: Typo

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.