Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

British Airways and its declining brand image

Old Oct 4, 18, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Hello,
How do you think that British Airways' shift to a low cost model impacted its brand image? Do you still think that it is a premium airline? How did your attitude towards BA changed in the past years?
Old Oct 4, 18, 7:59 am

Programs: BAEC: Silver. Nothing else as TopCashBack trumps all hotel programs
I don't think BA has "shifted to a low cost model". I think it has lifted some elements of the low cost model. But wouldn't say it has entirely shifted to it.
I don't think it's brand image has changed much.
Do I think it is "premium"? Probably not. I would say it lies between premium and LCC.
My attitude towards BA hasn't changed. It's a service and a company. I don't really have an attitude towards it.
Old Oct 4, 18, 8:04 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
I think it's a hybrid premium/lo-co. There is a very lengthy recent thread (last couple of days) on this somewhere with all the relevant viewpoints being aired. I'm sure someone more technically savvy than me will be able to post the link.

Last edited by South London Bon Viveur; Oct 4, 18 at 8:11 am
Old Oct 4, 18, 8:05 am

Programs: BA Silver
Is someone doing a dissertation ?
aidy, msm2000uk, mtikky and 9 others like this.
Old Oct 4, 18, 8:07 am

Programs: BA Gold
Have a look through this one and perhaps contribute there too

Sunday Times Piece - "Sorry, BA, but new blazers aren’t enough"
Old Oct 4, 18, 8:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
BA is doing what many carriers are doing in a highly competetive environment, e.g., listening to its customers. Some want a high-end product which includes F with lounges and the like, while others only want a seat between two points on an aircraft. By offering a LCC product aboard a full-service aircraft, BA does just fine.

Travel is not anything special any longer and the customers, largely major businesses, are looking for value.

People said the same thing when the legacy US carriers stopped serving free meals in Y and started charging for checked luggage. But, it didn't matter. It won't matter here. If it does and the LCC model becomes the only model, that will be as a result of customer demand.
ibizarep likes this.
Old Oct 4, 18, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
As the man with the premium hairdo would say....fake news. BA still offer as many as four cabin classes on some flights and at least two on all their services. Hardly a low cost carrier.
argonath, madfish, T8191 and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 4, 18, 8:54 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by camilledpz View Post
Hello,
How do you think that British Airways' shift to a low cost model impacted its brand image? Do you still think that it is a premium airline? How did your attitude towards BA changed in the past years?
Hello and welcome to FT. You raise a number of interesting questions, however, I would consider it polite if you were to provide reasons as to your enquiry. It always helps to place the request into context. Perhaps an introduction to yourself wouldn’t go amiss, especially as you are asking people to give up their time to provide you with an answer.
aidy and argonath like this.
Old Oct 4, 18, 8:57 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
You should provide full disclosure as to why you are asking
aidy and UKtravelbear like this.
Old Oct 4, 18, 9:05 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
If you go through the various threads, you will find the answers that you seek.
No-one has ever claimed that the BAEC part of FT is logical.
Old Oct 4, 18, 9:19 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by cupsandsaucers View Post
I don't think BA has "shifted to a low cost model". I think it has lifted some elements of the low cost model. But wouldn't say it has entirely shifted to it.
For the average customer perspective, the shift to a low-cost model is pretty obvious. On European routes, tickets are pretty similar to what you'd get on LC airlines. It's not as bad on long-haul routes but the cost-cutting is definitely noticeable (meals getting dropped, the introduction of HBO fares, etc.) there as well. I can't fault BA for cutting cost. Nobody is willing to pay high fares. For those that are willing to spend more, there's always WTP, CW and F. FWIW the hybrid structure (premium upfront; LCC in the back) seems to work reasonably well.
Andriyko likes this.
Old Oct 4, 18, 9:23 am

Programs: BAEC
No polite welcome for a new member?
Old Oct 4, 18, 9:26 am

Programs: MPC Green
If you peruse Flyer Talk for even a few days, you would think BA is the worst airline ever.
Andriyko and Sealink like this.
Old Oct 4, 18, 10:09 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, *A Gold, HH Silver, IHG Gold Elite, Sixt Gold
It's neither a low cost nor a premium airline. I think they willingly decided to leverage their clear advantage position offered by the city of London and T5 to lower services to a minimum.

They are playing really well with the curve of indifference, I just hope they made their long term calculations well as once you take away so much, it is not that easy to pull up quickly and others might exploit that.
Old Oct 4, 18, 10:12 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by HIDDY View Post
and at least two on all their services.
BA001
DYKWIA likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: