FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Dream flight ruined (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1933856-dream-flight-ruined.html)

RockyRobin Oct 4, 2018 6:51 am

Dream flight ruined

BA001 LCY to JFK cancelled.

Hell of of a day and now sat waiting a 777 in 4D and 4E

i believe everyone on here says the 777 are poor?

i can’t decide if we would be better in the two middle seats together but at present those two seats were the only two free

gutted of Gatwick

South London Bon Viveur Oct 4, 2018 6:57 am

That's a bit of a pain, plus you'll now have to queue for immigration- hope you have a pleasant journey nonetheless, and presumably LCY on the way back?

Were you only offered LGW as an alternative or were there also LHR flights that you could have taken? I know they're refurbishing the LGW 777 fleet, but potentially that's a significant "downgrade".

RockyRobin Oct 4, 2018 7:00 am

Oh yes the immigration is another bonus.

Nomwe aren’t coming back Tom LcY so my dream has gone.

we did talk of two flights from LhR but they are further away and later with similar seating issues, it seems everyone is going to JFK today

what I only thought of in the cab was they didn’t check Newark

there were several elements of the affair that were sub-optimum and typically my Global Strategic Account Manager is in holiday so I could beg in that direction! Cheeky I know.

Flyerstarter Oct 4, 2018 7:11 am

No option to wait 24 hours and take BA001 tomorrow? If it helps the F lounge at LGW can often be fairly quiet and gives good views over the runway.

Globaliser Oct 4, 2018 7:32 am

Originally Posted by RockyRobin (Post 30277754)
BA001 LCY to JFK cancelled.

My sympathy. That was the fate of the only time so far that I've managed to plan a trip on BA1. The icing on the cake that time was a truly dreadful LHR-JFK. I hope your experience on the replacement flight is better than mine was!

It's a pity it's been cancelled altogther, though. The aircraft did manage to get back to LCY by 12.30 pm today.

skywardhunter Oct 4, 2018 7:39 am

That sucks... maybe BA's new slogan?

Dream flight ruined

atmorris Oct 4, 2018 7:44 am

Was this cancelled due to the Weather at LCY this morning?

If So not really a lot BA could have done about it to be fair...

I must admit it was one of the best BA flights i have ever taken when i took it a few years ago

Fly_By_Wire Oct 4, 2018 7:54 am

Originally Posted by atmorris (Post 30277901)

No consolation to op, but I’m on level 24 in one on the towers in Canada Square, and at 8am this morning it was a right pea souper, couldn’t see anything at all!

So what’s that, 250 ish feet? Not sure what minimums are at LCY. Looks like she made one attempt before trundling down to LGW.

RockyRobin Oct 4, 2018 8:00 am

Yes fog was mentioned but flights were running at LCY at 9:30 so I don’t see what the issue is and if it landed at 12:30 we could have still gone? Maybe a crew time issue?

indidnt want to wait until tomorrow as we are only there a few days flying back apearly Tuesday.

Has anyone got an upgrade due to this sort of mare? It would have been easier for her if she had told us there was no first on a 777 :-)

UKtravelbear Oct 4, 2018 8:01 am

BA stopped upgrading people to F after a CWLCY cancellation a long time ago.

KeaneJohn Oct 4, 2018 8:05 am

Originally Posted by RockyRobin (Post 30277947)
Yes fog was mentioned but flights were running at LCY at 9:30 so I don’t see what the issue is and if it landed at 12:30 we could have still gone? Maybe a crew time issue?

indidnt want to wait until tomorrow as we are only there a few days flying back apearly Tuesday.

Has anyone got an upgrade due to this sort of mare? It would have been easier for her if she had told us there was no first on a 777 :-)

Back in the early day if th BA1/3 was cancelled you would have been regularly booked in F but not anymore. The BA1 is a great service but prone to weather at LCY. I hope you enjoy NYC when you get there.

Globaliser Oct 4, 2018 8:08 am

Originally Posted by atmorris (Post 30277901)

Yes fog was mentioned but flights were running at LCY at 9:30 so I don’t see what the issue is and if it landed at 12:30 we could have still gone?

The aircraft diverted to LGW.

It then took off from LGW at 1158 and landed at LCY at 1221 (according to FR24).

In addition to the possible problem with crew hours, there is also the possibility that by the time of the cancellation, BA still had no idea when the aircraft would actually get going. Hindsight is 20/20.

clubman Oct 4, 2018 8:11 am

It would have been easier for her if she had told us there was no first on a 777 :-)

LGW 777s of course.

hearingdouble Oct 4, 2018 8:13 am

On the plus side, you’re still getting to NYC, in CW, on the same date that you originally planned.

Cold comfort I’m sure, but at least you didn’t get a night stop or a downgrade.

RockyRobin Oct 4, 2018 8:25 am

Originally Posted by hearingdouble (Post 30277993)
On the plus side, you’re still getting to NYC, in CW, on the same date that you originally planned.

Cold comfort I’m sure, but at least you didn’t get a night stop or a downgrade.

oh yes my friend this is very true and this is what I am concentrating on. I’m sure the other half will be fine in a few hours it’s just little travel loser me that will be forever gutted :-)

Two tigers, a couple of family size JwB,s and a diy White Russian are helping