Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Flying Start GGL reception in Science Museum

Flying Start GGL reception in Science Museum

Old Oct 11, 2018, 1:39 pm

Programs: BAGGL, A3G, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, LHW Sterling
Originally Posted by Vasco Pridat
Is that one of the November events?
November 15.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 4:40 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
It should helpfully be a good event, not been to the science museum, despite having been London based for half a decade, since I was a young child when I went regularly (with free entry with a blue Peter badge as it happens).

WRT flying Start, yes I sometimes donate, usually with foreign currency that I would probably not be otherwise able to use (less so with Euros and Dollars, but the likes of currencies of countries I will probably visit once every 5-10 years or more). With Stirling, I prefer to choose charities and donate with Gift Aid.

Like many frequent flyers, repetitive promotion and chairs yvideos are annoying (as are jokes in any safety video after than 2nd or 3rd time) but BA certainly arent the order for this, so it could be worse.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by technical_bob
Let's see, 20m raised where perhaps 200 long haul segments flown per day, over the 8 years since 2010, that's about 34 quid per segment or about 10p per pax.

So... I'll kick in 10p per flight to never see it again if everyone else will?

(usual disclaimer that I'm very happy to give money to charity and regularly do so, but not in response to attempts to leverage a very tired captive audience after a long flight).
Either way, my happiness that 20m is being given to a worthwhile charity greatly outweighs my sympathy for you having to hear an announcement while tired...

I never complain about charities/organisations for trying to raise money to help people, no matter how irritating their techniques may be. If anyone is to blame it's the general public for needing to be pestered to donate instead of doing it themselves!
Sealink and navylad like this.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 12:29 am

Originally Posted by navylad
It should helpfully be a good event, not been to the science museum, despite having been London based for half a decade, since I was a young child when I went regularly (with free entry with a blue Peter badge as it happens).

WRT flying Start, yes I sometimes donate, usually with foreign currency that I would probably not be otherwise able to use (less so with Euros and Dollars, but the likes of currencies of countries I will probably visit once every 5-10 years or more). With Stirling, I prefer to choose charities and donate with Gift Aid.

Like many frequent flyers, repetitive promotion and chairs yvideos are annoying (as are jokes in any safety video after than 2nd or 3rd time) but BA certainly arent the order for this, so it could be worse.
Science Museum has always been free anyway, so you could have been spared the embarrassment....

I wonder if BA will trot out the same $4.5bn package of improvements again.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 1:17 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK Elite, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by simons1
Science Museum has always been free anyway, so you could have been spared the embarrassment....
Before 2001 they used to charge...I remember when they dropped the charges for all the museums and as a student at the time, happily could visit them all for free.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 2:46 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by englisha
Before 2001 they used to charge...I remember when they dropped the charges for all the museums and as a student at the time, happily could visit them all for free.
Originally Posted by simons1

I wonder if BA will trot out the same $4.5bn package of improvements again.
im afraid thats not true. It used to be free if you arrived late in the day (from memory something like an hour or two before closing, but you certainly had to pay whilst both you and I were children, and I wouldnt say it was embarrassing per say.

@englisha is right, the fee was scrapped on 1 Dec 2001, 9 days after the VA scrapped their entrance fee.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 2:49 am

Programs: Mucci; BA, LT GGL; QF, platinum; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TravellerFrequently

And on SIN-SYD just now.
Also en route to SYD on 15 Nov. Also no GGL invite (ever)!!
Old Oct 12, 2018, 2:51 am

Originally Posted by morges1
they are staggered so you may still get one...
Old Oct 12, 2018, 3:15 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by callum9999
Either way, my happiness that 20m is being given to a worthwhile charity greatly outweighs my sympathy for you having to hear an announcement while tired...
Well that's just very unsympathetic of you, I'm a delicate creature don't you know

Seriously though, charity is all about bang-per-buck, and gentle/intermittent persuasion generally works better. You don't see the most successful charities doing the TV equivalent of singing "I know a song that'll get on your nerves" the way Flying Start does.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 3:29 am

Programs: BA GGL, Gold for Life, CCR, VS Silver, HHonours Diamond
I went to the same 'Do' last year, which was in the Egyptian Room of the British Museum. Not a very large gathering but had a number of "celebrities" (and Alex Cruz).

Some of the celebs;
Lenny Henry
Claudia Winkelman
Russel Brand
Andy Parsons
Alexander Armstrong
Gary Lineker
James Nesbit
Shane Richie
Sarah-Jane Crawford.
And the guy who is the director in the comedy safety briefing. (Don't know his name).

May have been others.

Four or five, mainly comedians, got up to give a presentation on Flying Start and their fond memories of traveling with BA. After this Alex Cruz mingled with the attendees and chatted freely. A pleasant evening but one I wouldn't bother going a second time.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 3:45 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by navylad
Originally Posted by morges1
they are staggered so you may still get one...
You may not appreciate that morges1 is in a very small club, not only has he been GGL since it was very first introduced, he is also a LTGGL, he's not even done TP runs - and despite all that he's never to this day received an invitation to a GGL event!
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 4:01 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by IFE Wizard
​Some of the celebs;
And the guy who is the director in the comedy safety briefing. (Don't know his name).
Hah.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 4:36 am

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
You may not appreciate that morges1 is in a very small club, not only has he been GGL since it was very first introduced, he is also a LTGGL, he's not even done TP runs - and despite all that he's never to this day received an invitation to a GGL event!
I don't feel so unloved now.

This is the first GGL event I have been invited to in five years.
morges1 and Tobias-UK like this.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 10:24 am

Programs: Mucci; BA, LT GGL; QF, platinum; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Thanks, T-UK. You're absolutely right - I think I'm going to approach you to be my manager!!
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 9:52 am

Programs: BA Gold for Life
Just received my invite. Only been GGL for a little over 2 years and this is my first invite to a GGL do. I will be attending.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.