Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Captain said we would be landing adrift [long pause] of schedule

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Captain said we would be landing adrift [long pause] of schedule

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2018, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by BertieBadger
I probably would not have even noticed had I not read this thread, but the Captain of BA93 LHR-YYZ used the phrase "adrift of schedule" tonight, albeit after landing. So it may be a linguistic foible of a particular captain (and to my mind a harmless one - the phrase not the captain!), or it may be used by more than one...
I'm trying very hard to think of another (non-offensive!) phrase, like "adrift of schedule", which I have heard uttered relatively frequently, albeit always connected with travel, but which is virtually nonexistent in written format.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 11:29 pm

Isn’t this a wonderful example of the rich and varied tapestry that is spoken English. Pilots do not have prescribed words to be used in PAs. Heaven forbid that we end up with a script because a few find some simple but unusual phrases or sayings are not in their personal acceptable lexicon. “Adrift” is hardly a scary word, “ crash”, “death” and “mutilation” might be, but “adrift” not so much.
wrp96, albpenny and BertieBadger like this.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 11:41 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Wanderlust888
I understood it as something that has drifted away from where it should be.
That's how I thought of it when I read your headline. The long pause would have briefly gotten my attention, while I quickly processed the possibilities -- which likely would not have been a time reference. I don't believe I've ever heard 'adrift' in the context of a schedule.

But I speak a different English.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 8:06 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
We use adrift meaning late at work a lot, and I have to admit I do sometimes struggle when talking to civvies to avoid jackspeak, perhaps the chicken dipper was an ex-WAFU?
Old Oct 5, 2018, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by navylad
Adrift. Adjective Naval slang (Jackspeak) being late to work
So, why is it Jackspeak rather than Tarspeak?
Old Oct 5, 2018, 2:19 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by Greenpen
So, why is it Jackspeak rather than Tarspeak?
I’ve no idea, but a great book from the late great Surg Capt Rick Jolly OBE, only man to be decorated by both sides in the Falklands Conflict, may he RIP.

Amazon Amazon
Old Oct 5, 2018, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by navylad
We use adrift meaning late at work a lot, and I have to admit I do sometimes struggle when talking to civvies to avoid jackspeak, perhaps the chicken dipper was an ex-WAFU?
I've heard someone say "adrift to hell" once, which I assumed to mean extremely late. I'd quite like to hear that phrase in an announcement from the BA flight deck the next time I land somewhere in in spitting distance of an EC261 claim.
navylad likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.