Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Refused from OW lounge as Silver/Sapphire?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2018, 9:10 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
I had to queue for 2 hours to get access the GVA lounge when flying BA CE when the lounge was full a couple of years ago..........................................
Have I misunderstood - or are you saying you actually stood in line for two hours ?? Wow !

I can’t imagine queueing for lounge access for even 20 minutes - let alone for two hours ! And certainly not for the current (though soon to be refreshed, I believe) GVA offering.

Would it not have been preferable to simply find somewhere to sit in the main concourse
Old Oct 3, 2018, 9:17 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by cupsandsaucers
Wow, I see. So that was BA status, BA lounge, but AA flight.
I bet no-one has been refused BA status - BA lounge - BA flight. (short of being blind drunk etc).
The Finnair Lounges at HEL used to get quite full from time to time, even for AY elites on AY flights. The OW J and F lounges in DOH fill up with QR and other OW elites consistently, but will sometimes send folks to Al Mourjan for overflow.

In any event, you're not missing at out at SFO. The JL lounge, even the little F alcove, is really sad.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by Beltway2A
The Finnair Lounges at HEL used to get quite full from time to time, even for AY elites on AY flights. The OW J and F lounges in DOH fill up with QR and other OW elites consistently, but will sometimes send folks to Al Mourjan for overflow.

In any event, you're not missing at out at SFO. The JL lounge, even the little F alcove, is really sad.
Agree that you are definitely not missing out at the JL lounge. Had an F award flight from there a few years back. Tried to go to CX lounge and was refused entry. The JL F alcove was almost worse than the main lounge--literally a small room with seating only.

Interestingly, of about 8 people total (including myself and wife) in the F alcove, only saw 2 other people on the flight (so 4/8 people actually on the flight). So maybe there is something to how quiet/isolated it is.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 9:54 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by TravelBug1314
Agree that you are definitely not missing out at the JL lounge. Had an F award flight from there a few years back. Tried to go to CX lounge and was refused entry. The JL F alcove was almost worse than the main lounge--literally a small room with seating only.

Interestingly, of about 8 people total (including myself and wife) in the F alcove, only saw 2 other people on the flight (so 4/8 people actually on the flight). So maybe there is something to how quiet/isolated it is.
I was the only one in F for my flight, but there were two other passengers in the alcove, I just assumed they were JGC members or other high-status passengers of some variety (they were two older gentlemen). I did manage to talk my way into the CX lounge though, despite the noodle bar being closed, which is a significant step up in quality.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 9:55 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by subject2load

Have I misunderstood - or are you saying you actually stood in line for two hours ?? Wow !

I can’t imagine queueing for lounge access for even 20 minutes - let alone for two hours ! And certainly not for the current (though soon to be refreshed, I believe) GVA offering.

Would it not have been preferable to simply find somewhere to sit in the main concourse
Usually I would agree with you. Unfortunately the whole airport was rammed airside - and I mean rammed! In fact we, along with dozens of others, sat in that corridor outside the lounge
Old Oct 3, 2018, 10:51 am

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
The Qantas First Class lounge at LAX had a spell of trying to refuse people flying on domestic US itineraries. I was flying LAX - LAS and was asked if I had arrived on an international flight in at least J otherwise I wouldn't be allowed in. I told them I was entitled under OW rules and was swiftly granted access. I have never had any other issues anywhere else.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 11:01 am

Should've walked down the hall to the other side - the CX lounge is much nicer than the JAL imo
Old Oct 3, 2018, 1:03 pm

Programs: United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Gino Troian
Should've walked down the hall to the other side - the CX lounge is much nicer than the JAL imo
The lounge dragon tried to refuse me entry even after I pulled up the website with conditions for access. I've read similar reports of other people being turned away, but I was eventually let in. This was in July 2017 FWIW
Old Oct 3, 2018, 1:07 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
Usually I would agree with you. Unfortunately the whole airport was rammed airside - and I mean rammed! In fact we, along with dozens of others, sat in that corridor outside the lounge
Understood ..... doesn’t sound the best of days for you. But thanks for taking time to respond ^
ThatT1Feeling likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 1:27 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Was rejected from the BA lounge at SEA as a BA Gold when travelling on a domestic AA J transcon booking earlier this year - was rather bluntly told the lounge was too full, despite the staff letting other OW pax in. When challenged I was told to use the Alaska lounge (which I wasn't entitled to use - with no option to pay for entry afaik)

I emailed BA to complain and was given 5k avios compensation for the denial of entry - which I thought was pretty generous. Certainly covered the cost of a beer or two in a bar while waiting for my flight.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 1:32 pm
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
I was refused entry to the (third party) lounge at RUH as a BA Silver travelling on a Royal Jordanian flight.

Given the general third world standard of amenities in that airport, that sucked but I put it down to some weird variation with non-airline operated lounges and didn't pursue it further.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 4:10 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Ahh I see.
On that note has anyone every been refused entry from a BA lounge with BA status?
Wow, I see. So that was BA status, BA lounge, but AA flight.
I bet no-one has been refused BA status - BA lounge - BA flight. (short of being blind drunk etc).
Wow. OK fair enough. Kudos to BA for it not happening more often then I guess. Certainly is rare.
LOL, kudos to BA, indeed
Old Oct 3, 2018, 4:32 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club (Silver), Le Club Accor (Silver)
Originally Posted by Jetstreamer
Was initially refused at LGW a few weeks ago flying IB. Was told I needed a gold card before I suggested they check their laminated guide thing. I got a friendly apology so no harm done!
Interesting. I was initially refused at LGW last Friday night flying Iberia Express. Reason? "Iberia is not part of Oneworld". Luckily a fellow member of staff intervened and granted me entry. New member of staff possibly?
Old Oct 3, 2018, 4:39 pm

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Originally Posted by subject2load

I would not queue for 1 minute to get into GVA lounge!
rossmacd and subject2load like this.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 4:40 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by kingstontoon
Interesting. I was initially refused at LGW last Friday night flying Iberia Express. Reason? "Iberia is not part of Oneworld". Luckily a fellow member of staff intervened and granted me entry. New member of staff possibly?
There does seem to be a worrying level of ignorance in particular at LGW - there have been other similar stories posted from time to time.

This is really poor for BA staff to come out with such a silly statement about IB not being in oneworld. I know BA prefer to rotate their ground staff so they aren't on the lounge reception all the time, but I am not quite sure how a BA ground staff agent at one of their two major hubs can have their head so deep in the sand that they don't know IB is part of oneworld considering their proximity and presence in the UK, it's not like we are talking about an airline like UL which BA staff would mostly never have encountered,

Last edited by KARFA; Oct 3, 2018 at 4:47 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.