Wiki Posts
Search

Flying to ORD from LHR

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2018, 2:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Sixt Gold
Flying to ORD from LHR

Why are flights to ORD so crazy expensive with BA or AA compared to UA?

I know UA has a big hub in ORD and I usually find J fares around 2.5-2.7k if booked a couple of weeks in advance, while OW is constantly over 4k with BA sometimes over 5k!

I also tried to estimate fares via CDG hoping an ex-EU would get me a better price, but no luck.

Any idea on the why? Also, suggestions on how to get to ORD on a OW carrier would be greatly appreciated for obvious avios/TP reasons
Old Oct 3, 2018, 3:57 am

Programs: BA Gold
I often find booking AA through Expedia to be the least expensive OW carrier going direct. Flying via somewhere on the East Coast can bring the price down.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 4:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
It helps if you give an indication of travel dates if you want advice on getting cheaper fares.

As for ex-EU you need to look at more than CDG but also AMS,OSL,CPH,DUB, INV ....
orlando flyer likes this.

Last edited by UKtravelbear; Oct 3, 2018 at 4:39 am
Old Oct 3, 2018, 5:10 am

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
AA fly direct from DUB - and you clear immigration in DUB - looks like a little over £2k later this month

https://goo.gl/flights/sBJwH
Old Oct 3, 2018, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
When are you going OP ?

You'll get £1400 exINV in a few months, and £1200 into next summer

https://www.google.com/flights#flt=I...79*.GBP.127079
Old Oct 3, 2018, 6:14 am
Original Poster

Apologies, forgot to mention specific travel dates: I am looking to travel 21 or 22 Oct to ORD and back to LHR on 25 or 26 Oct.

No matter what combination I try, OW is always more expensive than SA. I'll try again with the above suggestions thanks!!!
Old Oct 3, 2018, 6:54 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Why? Supply & demand.

Solution: Look at the alternatives. If UA is cheaper, fly UA.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 6:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
Why? Supply & demand.

Solution: Look at the alternatives. If UA is cheaper, fly UA.
That's clear, I was just wondering how OW can fill in all those expensive seats when UA constantly beats them on price. I was thinking that probably it has to do with ex-EU premium flights they sell at lower prices, as from LHR I have a hard time explaining it.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 7:23 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Don't forget that cheaper fares almost always have a saturday night requirement, which for your trip which is probably making the biggest difference.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 7:25 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
AA has an industry-envied set of long-term high value corporate contracts, and BA is no slouch in this area either. They fill a lot of those seats without needing to have you book on the open market.
frandrake and wrp96 like this.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 7:53 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by frandrake
That's clear, I was just wondering how OW can fill in all those expensive seats when UA constantly beats them on price. I was thinking that probably it has to do with ex-EU premium flights they sell at lower prices, as from LHR I have a hard time explaining it.
FWIW, UA is selling LHR-ORD for nearly $7k on your dates so I'm not really sure what you mean by UA constantly beating them on price. Checking other random dates, AA/BA/UA all have pretty similar prices for their LHR-ORD non-stops.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by frandrake
Apologies, forgot to mention specific travel dates: I am looking to travel 21 or 22 Oct to ORD and back to LHR on 25 or 26 Oct.
Originally Posted by swingaling
FWIW, UA is selling LHR-ORD for nearly $7k on your dates so I'm not really sure what you mean by UA constantly beating them on price. Checking other random dates, AA/BA/UA all have pretty similar prices for their LHR-ORD non-stops.
Indeed: looking at those dates on ITA, the AA, BA and UA prices are identical, save only for BA's GDS fee which bumps up the ITA quote (although on that basis ba.com's price would be the same as AA and UA). Entirely unremarkable.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 12:13 pm

You're on a busy flight and supply is low?

For what it's worth I got very cheap ORD flights for over NYE in First. I checked the flights out of curiosity yesterday and theythey now many, many, many thousands more than when I booked a few weeks ago

What happens for the few does not happen for the many.

BA is not out to get you.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 2:57 am

About 3 weeks ago I found a special fare on Expedia LHR-ORD in F (inc a Sat night) on AA metal for next April but I didn't check earlier dates. It was massively more expensive on both AA and BA. It was just over 1800GBP so maybe worth checking expedia too which I'd never considered before stumbling on that price.
frandrake likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.