BA replicating LCAs

Old Oct 2, 18, 5:46 am
Original Poster

BA replicating LCAs

Im just curious to see what you all think.. BA introducing hand luggage only flights in economy in long haul to basically come up on top of search engines for flights has been a massive pain the backside for me and it also means that the competing big wigs like united are coming up cheaper with checked luggage so i just go with them. Who wants to fly long haul in economy without checked luggage?

Anyway, do you think that with Primera going into administration, they will realise that people want quality, or will they just hike the prices up?

https://www.ttgmedia.com/news/news/p...stration-15612
Old Oct 2, 18, 5:50 am

Programs: BAEC: Silver. Nothing else as TopCashBack trumps all hotel programs
Originally Posted by MiraculousM View Post
Im just curious to see what you all think.. BA introducing hand luggage only flights in economy in long haul to basically come up on top of search engines for flights has been a massive pain the backside for me and it also means that the competing big wigs like united are coming up cheaper with checked luggage so i just go with them. Who wants to fly long haul in economy without checked luggage?

Anyway, do you think that with Primera going into administration, they will realise that people want quality, or will they just hike the prices up?

https://www.ttgmedia.com/news/news/p...stration-15612
BA's CEO has come from low cost. All he knows is low cost. So... it is hardly surprising. IAG clearly hired him with a view to making Ba more LCC and less premium. And that's what is happening. Buy on board food too. Race to the bottom my friend. despite record profits.
Old Oct 2, 18, 5:51 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
plenty of people fly long haul without checked bags, even in economy - I try not to check a bag (in any class of travel) unless I really have to

but I take your point - I find BA's "HBO" only fares annoying in some respects, as they skew the "advertised" pricing for cheap fares on the app and search engines - personally, I don't tend to book them for short-haul because to me the extra £20-30 is worth it to be able to pre-select a seat (which as a Gold is quite valuable - exit row and the like) and the ability to make same day flight changes on the "plus" fare is nice
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Oct 2, 18, 5:54 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
You can select seats with HBO fares for short haul, and I expect long haul, as a Gold (or Silver)
Old Oct 2, 18, 5:58 am

Programs: BA Gold
I'm looking at some exceptional HBO fares to FLL - will still get lounge, seat choice and will be absolutely fine with HBO. It's there or thereabouts with Norwegian so I know who I'm going with !
Old Oct 2, 18, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Anyway, do you think that with Primera going into administration, they will realise that people want quality ...
Do you really think that lots of people want to pay more for quality even though they could get a lower price elsewhere?

If so, would you like to come and take a look at this lovely bridge I have?

Oh wait, you said it yourself:-
... it also means that the competing big wigs like united are coming up cheaper with checked luggage so i just go with them.
Now, who said that price wasn't important?
Who wants to fly long haul in economy without checked luggage?
I too do plenty of long-haul trips without checked luggage. Why does long-haul mean that you need checked luggage more than a similar short-haul trip?
HIDDY likes this.
Old Oct 2, 18, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by cupsandsaucers View Post
Race to the bottom my friend. despite record profits.
Is it BA's bosses' job to provide top quality service no matter what the cost or economics, or is it their job to improve profits? What's the problem with a so-called "race to the bottom" if it improves profits?

And if your answer to that question is "But it'll all fall apart very soon because of what they're doing now", that's been earnestly said on FT pretty much every year that I've been here, which is now getting scarily close to two decades.
Old Oct 2, 18, 6:27 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 *Gold
BA didn't lead the move to a LCA model but they are having to compete in it so I don't see a point in fighting it. Just go into flight searches knowing that the headline prices only get you the basics and there isn't really much frustration.

(any budding entrepreneurs out there - there seems to be a business model going begging for someone to come up with a pricing comparison search engine where you select exactly what service levels you want, either bare minimum or add your bespoke selection of bag, seat selection, meal, priority boarding, lounge, etc etc and see what the actual pricing is....)
rockflyertalk and memesweeper like this.
Old Oct 2, 18, 6:27 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
When I saw the title, "are they doubling the number of flights to Larnaca because they are losing the 767?"

Originally Posted by mikeyfly View Post
It's there or thereabouts with Norwegian so I know who I'm going with !
My husband flew with Norwegian recently (SIN-LGW, pity they are scrapping the route) and he was well-impressed with their technology.

He said they had in-flight food ordering system on the individual screen, and you could just swipe the card and order things on the screen and they would be brought to your seat, very promptly.
Deltus and truncated like this.
Old Oct 2, 18, 6:29 am

Programs: BAEC
BA's CEO has come from low cost. All he knows is low cost..
This isnít entirely true and whilst Iím not a fan of BAs obvious cost cutting in recent years, the CEO was also at American Airlines for a number of years. That other legacy airline! So its not ALL he knows! Iím not defending anyone or any entity. Merely pointing out a fact.

Old Oct 2, 18, 6:41 am

Programs: BAEC: Silver. Nothing else as TopCashBack trumps all hotel programs
Originally Posted by Globaliser View Post
What's the problem with a so-called "race to the bottom" if it improves profits?
Is that a joke?
How about I am a CUSTOMER not a shareholder. This forum is for flyers not shareholders. We want value and quality. To hell with IAG and it's shareholders!
diamantaire and TRISTAR1979 like this.
Old Oct 2, 18, 6:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Is that a joke?
How about I am a CUSTOMER not a shareholder. This forum is for flyers not shareholders. We want value and quality. To hell with IAG and it's shareholders!
The forum is for anyone , whether a shareholder or not

It is the company's duty to work for its shareholders - if running an airline with 36" pitch for all economy seats and serving high quality meals would make more money, then the airline should do that - if , as seems more likely, the model of offering a higher comfort product for a higher price has been seen not to be the way to make money, but having the lowest cost is, then that is what it should do
Old Oct 2, 18, 6:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by bisonrav View Post
You can select seats with HBO fares for short haul, and I expect long haul, as a Gold (or Silver)
aha - good to know - I've very rarely actually used a HBO fare (though come to think of it have a few this autumn where I do have the exit row - so it must work!) - I normally just pay the extra just in case I want to switch flights on the day: useful if meetings finish early or similar
Old Oct 2, 18, 7:12 am

Programs: Warrant Card, BA Blue, PFOA
So the original poster is berating BA for providing customer choice with regards baggage.???? Booked return flights to NYC several weeks ago and for price BA was cheapest with/without baggage and like many others I have flown on both options when it suited me..
Often1 likes this.
Old Oct 2, 18, 7:36 am

Programs: BA Silver; LH FTL, IHG Spire; Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia View Post
When I saw the title, "are they doubling the number of flights to Larnaca because they are losing the 767?"
I was thinking along similar lines - or were they going to add more flights to Paphos? Or maybe try something novel to the TRNC?

Sadly not...

Search this Thread
Search Engine: