FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   OSL and SIN: one trip, two questions (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1933472-osl-sin-one-trip-two-questions.html)

GCab Oct 2, 2018 2:45 am

OSL and SIN: one trip, two questions

Morning

With thanks to @Globaliser and others for help, I booked a return to SYD ex-OSL, with a dog-leg via PER and SIN on the way home (the timings happened to work)

Two queries on the itinerary below:
- I deliberately booked the OSL start on the Fridayt before the LHR-HKG Sat evening flight, as I live in London and wanted the security of the gap in case of something going wrong. However, what's the best positioning flight to OSL? Having read the B2B thread it looks as if it's tight there and potentially involves shortcuts and queue-jumping etc. I would prefer to get an earlier flight and chill, but then it's (if I'd understood the B2B concept correctly) potentially risky in other ways as it's not the same plane. What's the best compromise between security and time? I'm happy to get the train into town for lunch if it's a few hours.

- I have 5h25 in SIN - does this leave time for anything at all in the city? It's probably too short and too late for the tour, but I'm happy to just pop in and have a quick sniff around / something to eat at a hawker centre food stall / etc. if the transport is quick. When I looked it up the general feeling seemed to be <6hrs = airport, > 6hrs = go to town, but I wondered if this could be stretched if ambitions are low i.e. I'm happy to settle for just an hour and a half in town.

Thank you!https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...95a7cbcc3a.jpg

GGla Oct 2, 2018 2:55 am

Just back from SIN, took us 20 mins in a taxi to downtown so probably doable for an hour or so wander around town... although traffic was light, and it was the weekend.

Globaliser Oct 2, 2018 2:58 am

Originally Posted by GCab (Post 30269313)
- I deliberately booked the OSL start on the Fridayt before the LHR-HKG Sat evening flight, as I live in London and wanted the security of the gap in case of something going wrong. However, what's the best positioning flight to OSL? Having read the B2B thread it looks as if it's tight there and potentially involves shortcuts and queue-jumping etc. I would prefer to get an earlier flight and chill, but then it's (if I'd understood the B2B concept correctly) potentially risky in other ways as it's not the same plane. What's the best compromise between security and time? I'm happy to get the train into town for lunch if it's a few hours.

KARFA will probably tell you that a back-to-back is not really risky at all. Having seen the physical layout and having a thick skin (which is useful for queue-jumping in extremis), I think I will be trying a back-to-back again myself next time to re-test whether his confidence is misplaced.

If you're not going to do a back-to-back, then you only have two options. The previous flight gives you 4:10 between flights (BA766 arrives OSL at 1600, BA769 departs OSL at 2010). That would deal with most but not all operational mishaps, but I think would not leave you enough useful time to go into town. If you were going to make a day of it and go into town as well as adding more safety, BA762 arrives OSL at 1040. There would have to be some near-catastrophic problem for you to miss BA769 some 9˝ hours later.

mikeyfly Oct 2, 2018 3:07 am

My back to back at OSL was less comfortable than I would have liked. I had to do a quite significant queue jump (I think at passport check?) which I did not like, and nor did the other pax.

A previous OSL start I did last flight to OSL and first back to LHR next morning - stayed at Park Inn - all very reasonable and stress free. Didn't even need to take time off work !

KARFA Oct 2, 2018 3:23 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser (Post 30269324)
KARFA will probably tell you that a back-to-back is not really risky at all. Having seen the physical layout and having a thick skin (which is useful for queue-jumping in extremis), I think I will be trying a back-to-back again myself next time to re-test whether his confidence is misplaced.

If you're not going to do a back-to-back, then you only have two options. The previous flight gives you 4:10 between flights (BA766 arrives OSL at 1600, BA769 departs OSL at 2010). That would deal with most but not all operational mishaps, but I think would not leave you enough useful time to go into town. If you were going to make a day of it and go into town as well as adding more safety, BA762 arrives OSL at 1040. There would have to be some near-catastrophic problem for you to miss BA769 some 9˝ hours later.

Haha. Well I haven't been to OSL for a while now and I have heard it has changed a little. When I did my b2bs there about 2 years ago there was a separate non-schengen->non-schengen transfer channel, see this photo guide http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25936195-post758.html You didn't go through passport control, and instead follow the signs pointing to the channel at the left of passport control for a non-schengen->non-schengen connection. Once through you just went downstairs and were a few paces away from the gate. This route was fairly easy and quick, albeit you need to re-clear security.

However, I think late last year I heard there was some work being done and you weren't allowed down there anymore. The other slower route involves you going through the immigration desks (on the right in the first photo in the guide), down the corridor left in to the transfer area, security (can be a lengthy queue there), down the stairs, back to immigration to go to the non-schengen area, and to the gate. Frankly in this second route there are three potential problem queue areas so some pushing in may be required.

Next time I go I will have a look around but it would be interesting to know what the current situation is at OSL.

1010101 Oct 2, 2018 3:31 am

5h25 in SIN is doable. You'll be in a taxi 20 minutes after leaving the aircraft and in town another 20 minutes after that.

I would probably get dropped off by the old Fullerton hotel and slowly walk around to the Marina Bay Sands. You see the skyline and some of the main sights, and you can call in at the Telok Ayer market if you want to try local food. You could go further afar but not knowing your way around might be tricky and early evening can be a nightmare for getting a taxi if you do get lost.

I would make sure I am in a taxi back to the airport 2 hours before the flight leaves. It should only take 20 minutes to get to the airport but always plan a little flexibility.

mikeyfly Oct 2, 2018 3:36 am

I'd agree on being able to do a brisk walk around and see some sights in 2.5 hours - perhaps a Singapore Sling and a walk to China Town and back.

The train is a decent option, but it does require a change and seems to make quite a few stops if I recall. I'd gauge the traffic if you can on Google Maps and make a snap decision

Tiger_lily Oct 2, 2018 3:41 am

I’d consider giving yourself the option of a couple of hours chillax time in the OSL lounge.

When we did it, we caught a flight from MAN on SAS but left ourselves enough time (4.5hrs) until the flight to LHR. As our TATL flight didn’t leave until next day, I had the option of changing the OSL-LHR flight if we had any problems with SAS. As it was, we had enough time to drag our bags back upstairs, check in and then have a spot of lunch in the lounge before a stroll to the gate. All very civilised.

RoyalSwazi Oct 2, 2018 3:44 am

The time taken all depends on the amount of flights during the time slot in question. The late BA flight should be fine as there are few if any other non-Schengen flights arriving or leaving at that time. If you have a European passport you should be fine even if you have to clear immigration.

The queues at OSL can be horrendous at times, eg departures around 1030-1130 am and around 1300-1400, when there are numerous longhaul flights leaving (varies a little from day to day). With a European passport it is faster, but anyone with an “interesting” passport risk getting the third degree. EK, PK, DY, QR, TK & TG attract a larger share of these and they operate the largest aircraft at OSL.

You can can check Avinor.no for schedules to get an overview of what the different days look like.

bhbloke Oct 2, 2018 3:46 am

Looking at the time you are landing in SIN I'd probably get the MRT into town and a cab back once rush hour is over.

Bullswood Oct 2, 2018 4:01 am

For future reference, for a 5.5 hr minimum transit Changi Airport offers free tours - unfortunately last one leaves 3 p.m.
Taxis are so cheap that I wouldn't spend time on public transport - drop off at Fullerton, Merlion for a wander, or even Clarke Quay for a 30 min cruise.
Top of Marina Bay Sands is a good place at sunset.
I normally leave city centre hotel by 8.30 for the BA12 to give time for a shower & meal in the lounge.

Globaliser Oct 2, 2018 4:28 am

Originally Posted by RoyalSwazi (Post 30269375)
The time taken all depends on the amount of flights during the time slot in question. The late BA flight should be fine as there are few if any other non-Schengen flights arriving or leaving at that time. If you have a European passport you should be fine even if you have to clear immigration.

FWIW, for 22 March 2019, EF lists these non-Schengen arrivals from 1500 (if I've done the filtering correctly):-
Code:

DY1933 DXB OSL 15:10 7M8
DY1349 MAN OSL 15:20 73H
SK4608 MAN OSL 15:40 32A
BA766  LHR OSL 16:00 320
TK1753 IST OSL 16:20 32B
D82806 LGW OSL 17:35 73H
SK806  LHR OSL 18:50 738
BA768  LHR OSL 19:30 319
SK810  LHR OSL 20:40 32A
FR1394 STN OSL 21:25 73H
SU2534 SVO OSL 21:30 73H
D82808 LGW OSL 22:00 73H
SK812  LHR OSL 22:40 32A
BA770  LHR OSL 23:00 320

KARFA Oct 2, 2018 5:25 am

Yes and if it is the case the separate non-schengen->non-schengen transfer channel is no longer available this is what would make a b2b much more risky due to having to go through arrival and departing immigration desks along with all the passengers from all these other flights.

If the separate non-schengen->non-schengen transfer channel is still available then it is much less of an issue as you do not go through immigration.

flyingmonkie Oct 2, 2018 5:35 am

Whether to go into town in Singapore all depends on the queues at immigration. If you arrive alongside a couple of A380s then you can be waiting an hour to enter the country and that would make your margin too small but sometimes I walk straight through... so I would suggest not setting your heart on it, head straight to immigration (with completed landing card) and if you go straight through then a taxi to down town will take 30 mins max, you can chill for a couple of hours and still easily make it back to the airport with time to spare, security is done at the gate and immigration on the way out is now very quick because of e-gates.

jbfield Oct 2, 2018 6:11 am

Originally Posted by bhbloke (Post 30269381)
Looking at the time you are landing in SIN I'd probably get the MRT into town and a cab back once rush hour is over.

As you'll be arriving into T1, to get the MRT you would have to get the shuttle train over to T2 or T3, then walk down to the MRT, wait up to 10 mins for the train (if you need to buy a ticket from the ticket office rather than the machines, the queues can be long and slow - and only at the T2 end of the platform) then change trains at either Expo or Tanah Merah. You may find immigration is slower than in the past as they collect fingerprints now.

Better to just head straight for the taxi rank one level below arrivals in T1 and enjoy the 20-30 minute ride along the Eastcoast Express Way.

When you want to get back, 1 hour for the taxi journey should be enough from the Central Business District. Only exceptions are if it starts to rain taxi's will get scarce (and avoid Eastcoast Park as you can get stuck by some big queues for taxi's there in the evenings).
Sign up for the GrabTaxi App and ComfortDelGro Phone Apps if you want to make getting a taxi back a bit smoother.

I second the suggestion, head to the MBS area, walk around the Marina, via the Fullerton Bay Hotel and the Fullerton Hotel (there is an underground passage way near the Merlion), then up the River Towards Raffles Place, Robertson Quay. You're then not far from China Town (if you want touristy) or hop on the Purple MRT Line and take the train a couple of stops to Little India for a slightly different perspective of Singapore. A Saturday night will be a bit more alive than mid-week.