Overnight at LHR T5

Old Oct 1, 2018, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
The op is neither arriving very late at night nor departing at the crack of dawn so has a plethora of hotels to chose from - many providing better value for money than the Sofitel.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 6:04 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Cw novice
Plus 1 for the premier Inn at T4 i had a room there for 50, excellent value for money and a stretch of the legs both ways.
And 1 for the T4 Hilton. Open, pleasant environment, welcoming staff, executive lounge, reasonable rates, (although L100, not 50) and outdoor area with pond and fountain, a relaxing spot to smoke a Montecristo.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 9:55 pm

LHR is quite possibly the worst place to overnight if you don't have ePassport or Fast Track. Depending on your circumstances (non-J travel) you will potentially be stuck waiting in line for much, much longer than you would like.

Last summer I did PSA-LHR-ORD with an overnight at the Sheraton. The PSA-LHR flight was slightly delayed, and that combined with the horrific wait (more than an hour) at immigration T5 meant a really lousy overnight. The only brightside was that the ongoing ORD flight left early enough that security was easy the next morning.

My dreams of a nice workout and dinner and a cocktail in the lobby were crushed by the sad reality of LHR and UK immigration lines.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 10:03 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by tfjim
LHR is quite possibly the worst place to overnight if you don't have ePassport or Fast Track. Depending on your circumstances (non-J travel) you will potentially be stuck waiting in line for much, much longer than you would like.
The UK government will later today announce its intent to allow "low risk" countries to use the e-gates, and I'm almost certain that means US, Canadian and many other Commonwealth citizens. I'm not sure of timing, but my guess is that this will be from the end of 2020.
FeedbirdNiner likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 10:44 pm

Programs: BA Silver
No one has mentioned the Thistle hotel with its easy pod transfer from T5 so here it is and always my choice nowadays.

Good food and drinks options on Bath Road as well and they do a very nice breakfast as well.

The rooms are small and dated but perfectly ok for one night.

I just lament the closure of the pool and gym leisure place opposite....anyone know when it closed out of interest?
Old Oct 1, 2018, 10:47 pm
Suspended

True, but with weather, and let’s face it, sometimes who really wants to catch a bus, the range of hotels at LHR is actually quite narrow.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 10:49 pm

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Why don't you do FRA-LHR on the BA901? Gets into LHR at 8:15am, so should make an easy connection and saves you the back and forth.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 11:28 pm

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by smokie36
No one has mentioned the Thistle hotel with its easy pod transfer from T5 so here it is and always my choice nowadays.
Erm ...

Originally Posted by diamantaire
Thistle is another option accessible via pods or free bus.
smokie36 likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 12:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
The op is neither arriving very late at night nor departing at the crack of dawn so has a plethora of hotels to chose from - many providing better value for money than the Sofitel.
Agreed. While hardly a budget option, I'd book a hotel near Paddingdon and would plan to have dinner somewhere in central London and to take the HEX back in the morning (which is probably as quick or quicker than taking the bus back from some of the LHR hotels).

LHR is quite possibly the worst place to overnight if you don't have ePassport or Fast Track.
Perhaps a tad hyperbolic.
I have no doubt that many here could easily identify far worse airports at which to overnight.

Last summer I did PSA-LHR-ORD with an overnight at the Sheraton. The PSA-LHR flight was slightly delayed, and that combined with the horrific wait (more than an hour) at immigration T5 meant a really lousy overnight. The only brightside was that the ongoing ORD flight left early enough that security was easy the next morning.

My dreams of a nice workout and dinner and a cocktail in the lobby were crushed by the sad reality of LHR and UK immigration lines.
My comment above notwithstanding, I do remember an occasion on which I was on a TLV-LHR flight that was scheduled to arrive in time for a run and dinner in London. Between a late arrival and Border Control's evening de-staffing of the immigration desks, I didn't get into London until after 10pm. The only good part of the story is that I was so frustrated by the experience that I forced myself to de-stress by going out for a late night run in a cold steady rain, and found the experience so euphoric that I ended up doing two laps around the perimeter of Hyde Park rather than my normal one.

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The UK government will later today announce its intent to allow "low risk" countries to use the e-gates, and I'm almost certain that means US, Canadian and many other Commonwealth citizens. I'm not sure of timing, but my guess is that this will be from the end of 2020.
Some of us -- I am American -- can already use the e-gates, as we are eligible to sign up for the "Registered Traveler" program. If one is a regular visitor to the UK, it's absolutely essential. (My story above occurred during the period of time between when Iris was decommissioned and the Registered Traveler program was launched.)
Old Oct 2, 2018, 8:29 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
Nothing like a good old LHR hotel stay discussion.

The OP mentions Hilton T4 and Sofitel T5. Given your connection, either one is fine in my opinion. If you had a shorter connection, Sofitel would be preferable but the Hilton at T4 is just fine with this connection time. See the Hilton T4 thread for the lengthy discussion on best way to get there.

Your profile lists Hilton Diamond, so if you want to stick with that program. I would consider the Hilton Garden Inn, can get there via bus or tube, see that thread on details. It will be cheaper and a cozier and cheaper option. If you want to get away from the airport, which I would likely do with this particular connection. I would consider Paddington Hilton. You will get there very quickly and you have a much more interesting area than the airport. I typically only to the Paddington option if I can get it with a decent points option.

As others have mentioned, with this connection you could really do about any property at LHR. I would personally prefer my bags to be checked through to IAD and get my boarding pass in FRA. If you have fast track access that would help particularly at immigration.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 8:39 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
The "range of hotels at LHR is poor without a bus (or similar experience of train)" ? I feel it's quite similar to many other large airports, about 2.
eg:
LHR: 2
JFK: 0
LAX: 0
AMS: 3
CPH: 1
NRT: 2
HND: 2
DOH: 1
SIN: 4
etc.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 10:34 am

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
I'm giving the new Holiday Inn Express attached to T4 a try on my upcoming trip. Looks good and a decent rate especially compared to the Sofitel
Old Oct 2, 2018, 3:00 pm

Programs: AA MM, AA EXP; OW Emerald, EK silver
For convenience the Sofitel if you don't want to rely on transport. Otherwise, the Hilton T4 is great, much better priced and you'll get upgraded as Hilton Diamond. The negative is that it is a long walk from the terminal and transport to and from Terminal 5 can be difficult especially very early in the morning. However, doesn't apply to you with the times of your flight.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 3:15 pm

Premier Inn T4 is surprisingly decent and rates generally are cheap as chips. I had a room with 2 double beds (thus could fit 4) for just GBP30 less than a year back!

The transfer really isn't too cumbersome - walk from T5 to Heathrow Connect trains, and on arrival at T4 a straightforward walk through a sheltered tunnel. Of course, nothing compares to the convenience of Sofitel T5 though, but then again what you save on accommodation can be spent on a nice dinner at one of the hotel or airport restaurants.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 3:21 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Premier Inn T4 is surprisingly decent and rates generally are cheap as chips. I had a room with 2 double beds (thus could fit 4) for just GBP30 less than a year back!

The transfer really isn't too cumbersome - walk from T5 to Heathrow Connect trains, and on arrival at T4 a straightforward walk through a sheltered tunnel. Of course, nothing compares to the convenience of Sofitel T5 though, but then again what you save on accommodation can be spent on a nice dinner at one of the hotel or airport restaurants.
I really wouldnt recommend getting the HEX from T5 to T4 connecting at Heathrow Central - and I wouldnt recommend the tube either connecting via Hatton Cross. its much easier and quicker to get the 482 or 490. Both are free and pretty frequent. Get off at the stop just after T4 and the PI is just opposite saving you a long walk.

see this post https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30039507-post37.html

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.