Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Do you prefer to sit on the port or starboard side?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you prefer to sit on the port or starboard side?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2018, 9:26 am

Programs: BA gold
Whichever side has the least amount of people around my seat.

In Australia, I try to avoid the sunny side.
Long haul Oz-UK, sunny side so I can control the blinding light.
TATL crossings, north side to see the vast arctic landscape.
Finally, the A side has my preference due to my best ear being on the right to hear the cabin crew say "chicken or beef?"
Old Oct 1, 2018, 9:30 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
For SH usually port; reading left to right the seating map I choose the first available seat in the most forward row. Sometimes, when thinking a bit more about the seat and the view, I go for starboard.
Long Haul it really depend from the aircraft, but on BA (J) more starboard than not.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 9:30 am

Programs: AA EXP
I choose according to sun and views, if relevant (often is not, like not knowing which approach will be taken or dark flight etc). If not prefer A side because can then leave my GPS watch on left hand. It is no during flights so I see location, speed, altitude etc. makes it more interesting (and records path taken too), saying that, not too hard to put watch on other hand....
Old Oct 1, 2018, 9:45 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Platinum; Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond
For some reason prefer the left, but it's not a very strong preference.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Innocent Abroad
Originally Posted by Deltus
Apparently the starboard aisle (on wide-bodies) usually has less foot traffic, so I prefer that side. Not sure if this is scientifically-proven though...
I don't know too if it's scientifically-proven but this is what Can I help you once said hence I believe it
IIRC, he has said this in relation to the 777-200s, and it's something to do with the layout of the galley areas on the aircraft.
Innocent Abroad likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Jetstreamer
For me it is all carefully planned according to the views to be had at origin and/or destination. There is nothing worse than landing at somewhere like NCE, GIB, SYD etc. and realising you should have sat on the other side!
Exactly the same here. Of course, NCE is a particularly interesting example because the wind of the day will determine what is the right side and it could change at any time in the day so can be complicated to guess (though I personally find the views on the rarer eastern approach even more spectacular so usually go for that in case. Lower probability of winning but by my taste a much greater reward!). SYD can also depend on the approach!
Old Oct 1, 2018, 10:27 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by TRISTAR1979
Port out Starboard Home... but then I am very POSH ;-)
Yes, one of the supposed origins of the word 'posh', referring to which side of a transatlantic ship one booked a cabin on when travelling from the UK to N. America. Intended to be on the sunny side of the ship.

Today on a transatlantic flight, who cares.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by dulciusexasperis
Yes, one of the supposed origins of the word 'posh', referring to which side of a transatlantic ship one booked a cabin on when travelling from the UK to N. America. Intended to be on the sunny side of the ship.
I thought it was supposed to be the shady side on the trips to India? I think that all of the myth-debunking articles I've ever read referred to that being the supposed route.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 10:39 am

Programs: BA Gold
Starboard on TATL primarily to be mostly on the shady side - and for views of London if clear. Although occassionly port westbound which is good for seeing my house if coming in on 33L at BWI.... .
Old Oct 1, 2018, 10:55 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by 1010101
Port side. Not sure why, perhaps because i'm right handed, but i find it more comfortable to lean against the window to my left.
Feel the same
Old Oct 1, 2018, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Originally Posted by Leaping_Deere
Short haul always go for seat delta. Force of habit, but the reason I tell myself is when sat in 8/9 (average ET divider point) I can usually see when they open the door so I know when to get up.
You can also tell by looking at whether the call buttons are lighted up or not on the Airbus
Old Oct 1, 2018, 11:32 am

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Short haul it's usually port but long haul it's almost always starboard. No rhyme or reason to it, just the way it's always been.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 11:38 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hotels.com Gold
I would have said no preference but seeing as yesterday I automatically went to sit in E/F and had to be reminded by my husband that we were actually A/B I guess that means I have some subconscious inclination to starboard.

I do prefer starboard and not over the wing for flying back into LCY in the hope of the approach over Canary Wharf.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 11:41 am

I guess I am kind of a symmetric person as I don't have a general preference. When not hoping for some particular departure or approach, it depends on whether I prefer to control the blinds against sunlight, or rather look outside.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 12:10 pm

Am I the only person reading this post who is getting visions of Lionel Jeffries as Grandpa Potts in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang singing the song Posh?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.