Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Do you prefer to sit on the port or starboard side?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you prefer to sit on the port or starboard side?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2018, 8:45 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
I’m right-handed, so port aisle or starboard window when in WTP so that my cutting arm has more freedom when hacking away at some grisly monstrosity in the dish in front of me.

When in business on some other airlines I’ll go starboard as the right hand side is where my properly-chilled champagne sits.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 8:58 am

Programs: BAEC
Always try for the left hand side into LHR (best views) and if in First (Or a good business class too) so you can drink with your right hand and put your glass down easily.

Otherwise dependant on airport approach or sun. Or 1A for the celeb factor!
Old Oct 3, 2018, 10:14 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Globaliser
I thought it was supposed to be the shady side on the trips to India? I think that all of the myth-debunking articles I've ever read referred to that being the supposed route.
Yes, UK to India is the route, and the shady side was the more preferable. Those and such as those couldn't possibly have a tan, as this might indicate that the had been partaking in manual outdoor labour in the fields.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 1:38 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by TRISTAR1979
Port out Starboard Home... but then I am very POSH ;-)
You beat me to it, Port Out Starboard Home - always. Window seat preferable.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 3:06 pm

But if you are POSH you just get the same view.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 3:11 am

Originally Posted by flyuk
The side I can see Mt. Fuji from.
... and I love that JAL take this as seriously as their passengers!

https://www.jal.co.jp/en/dom/mt_fuji/?m=df
Old Oct 4, 2018, 3:17 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by dagohh
For flights into LHR I try to get a starboard seat for the chance of some city viewing, on other daylight flights, I try to figure out the shadow side and on the rest of flights I don't care.
Yeah this pretty much. Also means I can pick out home in Zone 1 and then whine about how long it will take me to get back there...
Old Oct 4, 2018, 3:51 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Left side, or port, wherever possible. Just seems that bit more natural to me turning to look to the left.

That said, have the starboard side on 2 out of my next 4 flights, with one of them possibly having someone chosen to sit in the middle seat next to me and not the empty aisle seat.

Sunlight doesn't affect my choice of seat at all. If it bothers me, the blind goes down a bit if I'm in the window seat.
View wise, depends on day or night. If there's somewhere in particular I want to see in the daylight, then I might choose a certain side. At night, a free aisle seat suits me especially if in an empty row.
CW etc. wise, whatever has no seat mate at the time of booking or whatever is deemed to be a decent seat for aisle access.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 4:31 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
When leaving HND, the answer is always "sit on the left". Either you'll take off to the North and see little, or you'll take off to the South and you'll see Fuji out of the left about 5 minutes after takeoff.
Best done from 1K on a 747 but that's not available on any OneWorld carrier out of HND these days.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 4:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't care which side I sit on as long as I am in the front of aircraft.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 7:10 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Starboard for inbound into LHR. If flying into LCY I'll go for Port in case we have an Easterly approach. If LGW I'm not bothered. If I'm not bothered where I end up will usually be dictated by which side offers me the furthest forward seat.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 12:50 pm

Seat F for flights into LHR.
Outbound depends on the destination. Normally seat A.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 12:56 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Port as there are Clingons on the starboard side
Old Oct 5, 2018, 2:34 pm

Programs: Flying Blue PFL; IHG Rewards Club Diamond; HHonors Silver
Klingons
Old Oct 5, 2018, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai
Port as there are Clingons on the starboard side
I believe there on the starboard bow, and that seat is reserved for the FO... lets hope there not attacking now 😂

Last edited by navylad; Oct 6, 2018 at 5:39 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.