Search

will BA help in these circumstances

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2018, 1:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, IC Plat Elt, Hilton Diamond, QF silver
will BA help in these circumstances

Hi all,

Next year I've got to travel MAH - LCY with BA this flight lands at 12:25, i then have to travel across to LHR for my 19:55 BA SIN flight, so for the guru's i have three questions-

1) what's the best method of getting from LCY to LHR on a friday (i'm HBO but with a four year old)
2) This trip is due to take place in July 2019 will crossrail be functioning to T5 by then?
3) if the MAH- LCY flight is delayed will BA assist (the SIN flight is on a separate PNR)

thanks all
Old Oct 1, 2018, 2:00 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
1) At that time the DLR/Underground system will be fine, even with a young child - you should be able to do the trip in around 90 minutes. Heathrow Express will be 7x the cost (unless you buy an advance ticket) and only saves 20 minutes.

2) Anyone's guess, to be honest! Much of the system already functions, the Heathrow Connect is now part of TfL, but the signalling system in the Heathrow Tunnels is different to anything else on the rail network and only certain trains can run into them.

3) Most probably not. With separate tickets the risk is entirely yours - and you certainly shouldn't expect to get away with a zero cost change. Depending on the agent (and possibly your status) you might get anything from a walk up fare at the worst extreme to a change fee at the best.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 2:03 am

Programs: M&M, BA Silver, Accor LeClub Gold
1) I'd go DLR to Canning Town, then Jubilee line to Green Park, then change to the Piccadilly line, although others would suggest alternatives
2) No
3) Mixed reports here but generally negative. There is a useful term in the BA terms and conditions if you inform them in advance due to circumstances outside your control but difficult to reply on that
Old Oct 1, 2018, 2:06 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
If MAH-LCY-SIN doesn't compute on BA.com, still call up since it should be possible to do this as a single ticket and it may be cheaper that way too.

If you're on time, I would do this as LCY-Canning Town Jubilee, Green Park and Piccadilly to T5. At Green Park use the escalators up as if to leave, then before the gates go down again on the escalators to Piccadilly. The connecting corridor at Green Park goes on seemingly forever. That said, maybe just check here again a few weeks before departure for the latest information, it's a huge way off.
Cymro and wrp96 like this.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 2:09 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by ptr120
1) I'd go DLR to Canning Town, then Jubilee line to Green Park, then change to the Piccadilly line, although others would suggest alternatives
That's probably the route I'd take at that time of day - DLR to Jubilee is a single escalator at Canning Town, and it's a reasonably straightforward change onto the Piccadilly Line at Green Park. With the possible exception of stations close to Green Park, it also tends to avoid crowded carriages.

3) Mixed reports here but generally negative. There is a useful term in the BA terms and conditions if you inform them in advance due to circumstances outside your control but difficult to reply on that
Extremely unlikely to work here - deliberately choosing to travel on separate tickets is within the OP's control. This is designed to cater for shut motorways, broken down trains causing multiple-hour delays or a paralysed transport network. With so many different ways to get from LCY to LHR, including a taxi, that's not going to wash.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 2:15 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
The obvious answer is surely to swap MAN-LCY for MAN-LHR?
Old Oct 1, 2018, 2:19 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Tiger_lily
It would be if the OP were travelling from MAN, but it appears that they are travelling from MAH (Menorca) which may well not have flights to LHR
Cymro and wrp96 like this.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 2:20 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Tiger_lily
Not really, the OP is starting in MAH (Menorca).

As C-W-S says though, the best solution is to put it on one ticket if possible (and the change fee may be less than the cost of the additional ticket if LHR-SIN is already booked). If only MAH-LCY is already booked, cancelling and rebooking as one ticket is likely to be cheaper than buying an additional LHR-SIN.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 2:36 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
It would be if the OP were travelling from MAN, but it appears that they are travelling from MAH (Menorca) which may well not have flights to LHR
Sorry, that’ll teach me to read threads before I’ve had my 3rd cup of coffee d’oh!
ThatT1Feeling likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 2:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, IC Plat Elt, Hilton Diamond, QF silver
Originally Posted by Cymro
Not really, the OP is starting in MAH (Menorca).

As C-W-S says though, the best solution is to put it on one ticket if possible (and the change fee may be less than the cost of the additional ticket if LHR-SIN is already booked). If only MAH-LCY is already booked, cancelling and rebooking as one ticket is likely to be cheaper than buying an additional LHR-SIN.
Thank you all for your valuable input

i am yet to book the MAH-LCY leg. Unfortunately there is no MAH - LHR flight otherwise I would be on it. I presume I can’t merge the PNR’s as the LHR-SIN was booked using avios some time ago ?
Old Oct 1, 2018, 2:57 am

Originally Posted by sualg

i am yet to book the MAH-LCY leg. Unfortunately there is no MAH - LHR flight otherwise I would be on it. I presume I can’t merge the PNR’s as the LHR-SIN was booked using avios some time ago ?
Would travelling the previous day be an option?

There is plenty of time between the flights to get between airports....the risk is if the LCY flight goes tech or gets cancelled, then your SIN is at risk as you will be a no show. On the other hand there have been a few cases recently where BA has shown some flexibility when at fault.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 2:58 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
You can't merge ticket PNRs anyway, and there is a clear separation between revenue and redemption tickets, they are chalk and cheese in terms of ticketing structure. However if there is Avios availability on MAH-LCY it is easy to change the booking to include that MAH-LCY sector and will be cost effective since you should avoid APD in so doing. Looking at the redemptions from MAH-LON there seems Avios availability on all but 4 days in July.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 3:00 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond

If there is still avios availability on both legs, you could simply cancel and rebook for a £35 fee, which would be preferable in terms of getting single ticket protection. Not sure if this can be done with the existing booking if there is no availabiltiy LHR-SIN.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 3:10 am

I would look at this differently. Although its july so weather should not be a problem, there are lots of things that could go wrong with a single flight MAH-LCY. You cannot merge Pnr's of a revenue with an avios booking. So I would look to IB and go MAH-MAD-LHR. There are plenty of MAD-LHR flights in case of a problem, and all you need to do on arrival is leg it across T5 and clear security.
Cymro and umba815 like this.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 3:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
However if there is Avios availability on MAH-LCY it is easy to change the booking to include that MAH-LCY sector ...
Surely this would require a full cancel and rebook, because MAH-LON-SIN is a different Avios cost from LON-SIN alone? As Cymro says, this would be a problem if there is now no Avios availability for LHR-SIN.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.