Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Sunday Times Piece - "Sorry, BA, but new blazers aren’t enough"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sunday Times Piece - "Sorry, BA, but new blazers aren’t enough"

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2018, 10:08 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Given the improvements in CE food (judging by comments here), and being a BA apologist (is it my problem that I've always had amazing crew?) I think BA is an easy target for journalists. And hey, they make themselves an easy target.

But new uniforms are a great idea. They inspire crew, and send a message as to the direction of the airline.

And despite never having had the horrific experiences mentioned on FT, I do feel that BA is finally getting the message that people want them to be the best.
HIDDY and Tobias-UK like this.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 11:00 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Sealink
But new uniforms are a great idea. They inspire crew, and send a message as to the direction of the airline.
Whilst they may be a nice touch for the crew, I'm sure most of them would rather have better wages, hours, job security etc. than some new jacket or uniform.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 11:37 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
I Love there 747 much as I love the nostalgia for my childhood and my dad's red cortina. But like the cortina much as I go misty eyed over the pictures I rather prefer my mercedes today, its electric windows that work, the sound system heated seats and auto braking.

In the hands of BA the 747 is a cortina,

The A380 is too big for me but in any I have only flown on 2, Qantas and BA both in F. BA by some way the poorest offering with huge soulless environment. Qantas was very nice but its too big. I love the 787 and A350 which I have flown with LAN and Qatar. Lan the poorer hard product but still light years better than cramped world. Qatar simply superb. The A350 also outstanding.

The 777 is still a contender and I would point to one aspect of this aircraft that has always fascinated me. There have been 3 incidents with the 777 and all pretty serious. LHR SFO and DXB. What struck me about all 3 incidents was how robust the airframe was and that it held together post impact. The DXB incident had resulting fire would destroyed the aircraft ( I think) but everyone got out safely first). In the SFO incident the aircraft flipped over yet the fatalities happened post the event on the ground. At LHR everyone walked away.

Now I'd prefer not to involved in an incident but the 777 is clearly robustly built.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 12:00 pm

Given the improvements in CE food (judging by comments here), and being a BA apologist (is it my problem that I've always had amazing crew?) I think BA is an easy target for journalists. And hey, they make themselves an easy target.

And despite never having had the horrific experiences mentioned on FT, I do feel that BA is finally getting the message that people want them to be the best.
Why would improvements in CE food and you being a BA apologist make the airline an easy target?

What makes easy targets is doing crass things, like switching off your IT, or losing your clients personal data. It affects the many not the few, and looks rather incompetent.

As for the uniforms inspiring staff....best to judge when we see them. Or maybe even when we see a design. A quick press release doesn't inspire anything. But let's hope they will roll it out a bit faster than the White Company though or the birthday may have gone.
NoY, T8191 and subject2load like this.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 12:04 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold

Personally I’m fairly ambivalent on the matter of a new uniform. I’m certainly not opposed to to a change ; but on balance I see it as a ‘nice-to-have’ - as opposed to a priority, or something that is likely to enhance the passenger experience.

For those who will actually be wearing it : I’d like to think it will be welcomed as a positive change.
BUT ......is it really the case that staff would put on their new kit and say “Wow, I now feel inspired” .....

As to a new uniform “sending a message as to the direction of the airline” ..... in all honesty I’m not remotely convinced on that ! After flying with 84 different carriers over the years, I concluded long ago that there is virtually no direct correlation between the quality / style of crew uniform and the quality of either ground or onboard service standards. In fact, quite often, the expression Emperor’s new clothes springs to mind ........

psollitt and ppp909 like this.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by binman
I love the 787 and A350 which I have flown with LAN and Qatar. Lan the poorer hard product but still light years better than cramped world.
I honestly don't know how you can say the LAN product is light years better than CW. It has more open space yes, but a CW window seat beats it in pretty much every other respect in my view.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 4:03 pm

Location: Manchester but from Yorkshire better known as Gods country
Programs: BA Gold, , Sandals plat
Originally Posted by Yeoman5
"I only fly CE so I wouldn’t even be aware of the problem" You've not had to wait behind hoards of ETs with crossed legs queuing at the front of the plane?
No I rarely use the toilets even on long haul flights other than to change. It always amazes me how many people need to use the toilet several times on a two hour flight and then there are those who have to go even before the doors are closed despite the fact that there are toilets available in the airport.
navylad likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
re new uniforms - BA has to provide these or would people be happy for CC just to turn up to work wearing anything they liked?

Even if BA just specified something like black shoes / trousers and a white shirt you could gather 100 crew and still have 100 different looks that still met the basic requirement but wouldn't be very coherent.

There comes a time when it is cheaper to have a total redesign and engage new manufacturers than it is to place lots of small irregular orders to dress new crew and provide replacements.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by PJSMITH0

No I rarely use the toilets even on long haul flights other than to change. It always amazes me how many people need to use the toilet several times on a two hour flight and then there are those who have to go even before the doors are closed despite the fact that there are toilets available in the airport.
You know what? I feel the same way about glasses. I can read a road sign half a mile away yet others feel the need to put pieces of glass in front of their eyes just to read a page inches in front of them.
Why can't they just be like me?
DYKWIA, NoY, PAL62V and 5 others like this.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK

I'm sure the overall sentiment you express will attract the "likes" of the usual crew, but I'm have trouble parsing your post.

For the life of me i can't see how improved food makes the airline a target for criticism.

And how exactly does the airline make itself an easy target other than by being, well, below par in some areas?
Old Oct 1, 2018, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK

No I rarely use the toilets even on long haul flights other than to change. It always amazes me how many people need to use the toilet ...
I'll help you on this one. Many use the lavs to micturate and, yes, defecate. In fact I'd posit that lavatory use as a changing room is incidental to that primary purpose.

Not all possess your sturdy constitution. Age, pressure changes and anxiety can exacerbate the bladder control of those weaker individuals. So gave them a break.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 12:17 am

Really? People who may be elderly, inform, unwell, have young kids etc?

As for the airport well last time I flew BA they were rushing people to the gateroom at LGW an hour before the flight. Not everyone is a sufficiently experienced traveller to know 'go to gate' can be safely ignored.

TBH it sounds liked the usual FT line.....'I don't use the toilets on board so there is no need to have them'.
PAL62V and WickedStepMother like this.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 1:06 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

There's nothing worse than needing to pee and some inconsiderate git is getting changed or shaving in the loo
Old Oct 2, 2018, 2:04 am

Location: Manchester but from Yorkshire better known as Gods country
Programs: BA Gold, , Sandals plat
Talking

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
There's nothing worse than needing to pee and some inconsiderate git is getting changed or shaving in the loo
or some airlines even encourage their customers to shower

Last edited by PJSMITH0; Oct 2, 2018 at 2:05 am Reason: Missing smiley
Old Oct 2, 2018, 2:54 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
[ignore posted in error admin please delete]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.