Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Sunday Times Piece - "Sorry, BA, but new blazers aren’t enough"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sunday Times Piece - "Sorry, BA, but new blazers aren’t enough"

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2018, 6:22 am

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
Got to do something with leftover WT fabrics.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 6:34 am

BA is dead. Long live BA.

I used to be willing to pay a premium to fly BA over the "low-cost" airlines due to better in-flight service and better support when things go wrong. However, BA wanted to attract people who buy on price, so dropped all their advantages and introduced some lower fares. They succeeded - I now only fly them when cheaper than the alternatives. I used to believe that their staff made a difference. I still do, but their handling of the HK closure means that any goodwill from staff towards their job and hence BA is likely to disappear soon.
lhrpete likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 6:45 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Old Sep 30, 2018, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by bisonrav
Not sure of your point but I remember the days when banks used to make big profits too.

Remember Fred the shred? Everyone used to say how good he was at cutting costs until he found he was cutting the bone too.
Crampedin13A, lhrpete, NoY and 3 others like this.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 7:26 am

The point here is that the business seems to be ticking over quite nicely, despite the "problems", which are largely a matter of perception not obviously shared by many of the 45 million (and increasing) passengers BA flies.

The point about banks is spurious. I remember when the steam railways made a fortune (and anyway banks still do). A well run business will adapt to change, the difference in profit between the "golden age" and now demonstrates BA is doing that, and the usual suspects in terms of what people here complain about don't seem to be an enormous problem for most travellers. If you're a shareholder you would want to know what your investment will improve on the bottom line, not what some Sunday Times journalist thinks would make his or her day better when travelling.
PJSMITH0 likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 7:40 am

Programs: BAEC
We’re there many business that didn’t make a profit in 2008-09? I think it’s tough to say how much the financial crash impacted BA, other airlines & well all business. So maybe this is more indicative of the economical cyclical nature coupled with the cost cutting.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 8:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

They certainly know what they want but it seems they would like others to fund it.

'I want a free G&T but those who prefer wine can pay for it'
estate and argonath like this.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 8:43 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
The ST journalist is basically looking for the sort of standards which any self-respecting airline (whether LCC or not) should itself be aspiring to.
I’m not sure how many of the ‘wish-list’ items could be considered anything other than simply basic and fundamental, most notably :

- adequate onboard lavatory facilities
- properly-cleaned aircraft
- a secure, properly-resourced IT system
- adequate catering supplies, with the necessary staffing ratio to deliver them, during the flight, to every passenger in need
- a modern, more environmentally-friendly fleet

And THEN ...... if you also wish to develop / maintain a solid reputation as a premium carrier :

- a cup of tea/ coffee for every s/h passenger
- wifi, USB & charging facilities at every seat
- high quality lounges (above all, at your home hub)
- an updated business class product for long-haul

It’s well worth noting that Alex Cruz is himself very conscious of the airline’s current shortcomings and alluded to them (well before the ST piece linked here by the OP) in an interview carried by Travel Weekly, back in January of this year.

- “We don’t have an internal project that says we are bringing BA back to the glory days – but we need to turn this airline around from the customer perspective,” Cruz admitted.

- “We know when we haven’t delivered up to the standards we should – and we are absolutely trying to remedy every situation that is bad”.

And - most importantly of all - on the promised new seats :

“....... now we have ground to make up with our competitors .........There will be more privacy, more space. There will be fewer seats”

Indeed, when you look at some of AC’s comments, the spirit and essence of what he says is perhaps not a million miles away from the views of the ST journo.

But of course the bigger question is whether the corporate will and motivation really is there to (in Alex’s own words) “turn this airline around”

Time alone will tell.

Last edited by subject2load; Sep 30, 2018 at 8:48 am
Old Sep 30, 2018, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by simons1
I didn't think there was any charge in CE?
oops my bad. I meant to say ET!!
AnaTravel likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 9:32 am

The wishlist of "basics" is really just stuff you want. The evidence from the numbers shows that BA is adding customers and becoming dramatically more profitable. Most passengers fly 2 or 4 times a year, they aren't remotely bothered about getting a cup of tea and a bag of pretzels chucked at them (but will pay for lounge access), they will get to the toilet at some point during a flight if they need to, and a very small proportion indeed will fly business class. Unless something goes drastically wrong they will have forgotten the flight 10 minutes after leaving the plane.

No one would say that BA's definition of what makes premium is the same as the Middle Eastern carriers, to take an example, or Cathay Pacific, but it's really not bad in comparison with competitors and equivalents elsewhere. If there is a compelling business case for investment in any of these areas, then you would expect someone within BA to make it - evidently some of the ideas are being adopted, such as an improved CW product, but it does take a lot of time and money to roll this out. I suspect that under analysis the case for many of these ideas isn't compelling.

It is just public transport, in the final analysis. If you have an alternative, take it.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by PJSMITH0

And here lies the problem when making theses decisions.

Lavatory . I only fly CE so I wouldn’t even be aware of the problem
Lucky you - hope you are not one of those who get upset at the queues forming through the curtain to use the forward lavs

New Aircraft I love the 747 so please keep them as long as possible.
Again, great for you. But it's clearly not a passion common to all passengers

Training I have no problem with the staff and have never experienced the computer says no
Hope you're touching wood

WIFI. Personally I would remove it as I love the peace of being non contactable whilst in the air.
Turning off your phone should do just fine

Lounges yes some are poor but so are many other airlines
So that's all right then

CW Please keep the rear facing seats. Love the current style but find a way to make it all direct aisle access
And again, very few others seem to agree with you about the current style: I guess most simply put up with it.

RYAN Air BA is a country mile ahead of Ryan air but in today’s market short haul economy has to be competitive.
Still trying to make sense of that one

Old Sep 30, 2018, 10:30 am

Programs: BAEC: Silver. Nothing else as TopCashBack trumps all hotel programs
There are a number of people on here who seem to romanticise the 747. To the extent that I wouldn't be surprised if they would be backing a return of the 707 and comet...

Fact is the 747 is now old, tired, loud, inefficient, has dry air, poor pressurisation. The list goes on. The newer birds are better in EVERY way.

And I agree about the wifi. a lot of the "old school" seem to act as if having the option of wifi on board is the same as the CC holding a gun to your head and saying "you will use this"!! Literally no reason to be against wifi. You simply don't have to use it if you don't want to...
AnaTravel likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 10:41 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
I suspect that BA are in the mindset of "all publicity is good publicity".
So the Journalist is just helping the Exec team's bonus..........for instance, by telling folk that BA can now be cheap.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 11:14 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Originally Posted by cupsandsaucers
There are a number of people on here who seem to romanticise the 747. To the extent that I wouldn't be surprised if they would be backing a return of the 707 and comet...

Fact is the 747 is now old, tired, loud, inefficient, has dry air, poor pressurisation. The list goes on. The newer birds are better in EVERY way.

And I agree about the wifi. a lot of the "old school" seem to act as if having the option of wifi on board is the same as the CC holding a gun to your head and saying "you will use this"!! Literally no reason to be against wifi. You simply don't have to use it if you don't want to...
People here aren't flying in the lower cabins, where the author of the original article mostly seems to be.

The 747 offers poor levels of comfort for those down the back for the reasons you rightly mention. I too want them gone as soon as possible.
wrp96 and AnaTravel like this.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 11:24 am

Programs: BA Gold; AA LTG MM
Originally Posted by V10
People here aren't flying in the lower cabins, where the author of the original article mostly seems to be.

The 747 offers poor levels of comfort for those down the back for the reasons you rightly mention. I too want them gone as soon as possible.
Of course you're right for the vast majority of people on board a 747. However, as one of those fortunate enough to enjoy front-of-the-bus flying, my favourite seats across all aircraft are the window seats in the upper deck and row 1 of the 747, despite the age and scruffiness of the planes. I'll be sad to see them go, but know they're not sustainable long-term.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.