Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Sunday Times Piece - "Sorry, BA, but new blazers arenít enough"

Sunday Times Piece - "Sorry, BA, but new blazers arenít enough"

Old Oct 2, 18, 2:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I'm more relaxed after the removal of my huge bladder stone last year.
Old Oct 2, 18, 3:20 am
amt

Programs: BA GGL & CCR
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation View Post
Ah yes, that wonderful new lounge in San Francisco BA have opened...
Is it new inside? I passed by on the way from the CX lounge to the 380 yesterday... it looked as drab as ever.
Old Oct 2, 18, 3:21 am

Put back the lavatory you’ve removed from some short-haul jets to squeeze in more seats. One loo for the entire economy cabin is not enough.
I hate to break up the toilet habit discussion, but, this bit isn’t even true. There used to be 2 and there’s still 2.

Old Oct 2, 18, 4:36 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by Jumbodriver View Post

I hate to break up the toilet habit discussion, but, this bit isn’t even true. There used to be 2 and there’s still 2.

Didn’t the 319s previously have two loos at the back, and now they have one?
Old Oct 2, 18, 4:38 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by T8191 View Post
I'm more relaxed after the removal of my huge bladder stone last year.
Eww I hope you didn't have to pass it
Old Oct 2, 18, 4:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences View Post
Eww I hope you didn't have to pass it
No, lasered to dust. All 4cm of it!

https://prostatecancer209686453.wordpress.com
Old Oct 2, 18, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by Oaxaca View Post

Didnít the 319s previously have two loos at the back, and now they have one?
the ex-bmi A319s only ever had one at the back, the legacy BA A319s had one removed with the introduction of the pinnacle seats, creating 25AB, known as the 'love seats' (because no one loves sitting in those seats!)

The A321s, as they are re-densified and space flexed are having one toilet removed at the front, leaving just 3 loos for 200+ passengers. Oh the joys, trying to get the M&S trolley past the eternal toilet queues.
Oaxaca likes this.
Old Oct 2, 18, 8:07 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by bwaflyer View Post
the ex-bmi A319s only ever had one at the back, the legacy BA A319s had one removed with the introduction of the pinnacle seats, creating 25AB, known as the 'love seats' (because no one loves sitting in those seats!)

The A321s, as they are re-densified and space flexed are having one toilet removed at the front, leaving just 3 loos for 200+ passengers. Oh the joys, trying to get the M&S trolley past the eternal toilet queues.
Yes, it was the BA legacy A319s that I was thinking of, maybe Jumbodriver (possibly my favourite FT handle) doesnít get to travel at the back of these very often . I donít blame people for using the CE loos.

I agree with your sentiments about the A321, I was on one last week in ET, and on a 2 hour flight the crew barely got to the back of the aircraft with the BoB trolley before the seatbelt signs came on for landing. The toilet queue / trolley dance was frustrating for pax and crew alike.
Old Oct 3, 18, 9:14 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, VS Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by simons1 View Post
Why would improvements in CE food and you being a BA apologist make the airline an easy target?

What makes easy targets is doing crass things, like switching off your IT, or losing your clients personal data. It affects the many not the few, and looks rather incompetent.

As for the uniforms inspiring staff....best to judge when we see them. Or maybe even when we see a design. A quick press release doesn't inspire anything. But let's hope they will roll it out a bit faster than the White Company though or the birthday may have gone.
Sealink, don't post while in the pub.

I should have added the word 'despite'....

So BA have made improvements, my experiences have been positive, but BA do attract attention by their other decisions
Old Oct 3, 18, 10:48 am

A new staff uniform that it is comfortable and practical for the crew should be a necessity. I couldn't care less about BA's corporate uniform image, as a passenger.
Old Oct 3, 18, 1:01 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond /IHG Spire/ SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Ldnn1 View Post
I honestly don't know how you can say the LAN product is light years better than CW. It has more open space yes, but a CW window seat beats it in pretty much every other respect in my view.

Quite easily IMHO for example

IMG 3104

Versus this

I found the seat area cramped.

or

Waffles - Congealed sludge on a plat. Vile

EX LHR starter which was tasty

EX LHR main tasted a lot better than it looked

versus this

FRA MAD. Very good food

MAD FRA also very good

and remind me please which BA lounge anywhere looks as good as this?

Maple Leaf Lounge food selection.

Maple Leaf Lounge FRA dining area

The LAN images were taken on a short two hour service service and the Club World on a 5 hour LHR CAI.

As were the following

Gap to exit from window is very narrow

IFE screen had red wine stains. Cleaning is still a weakness for BA

The floor was stained and lots of trapped dirt

Red wine stain on table storage

Red wine stains on walls and carpet

And I haven't even mentioned the surly invisible crew who partied away in the F cabin that 6 of us were turfed out of after check in. Compare them to the attentive, smiling and charming LAN crew I had and there really is no competition.
Sealink likes this.
Old Oct 3, 18, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by binman View Post
Quite easily IMHO for example
Well I've flown in the LAN cabin a few times and much prefer a CW window seat. I suppose it may be different if travelling in a pair.

And yes we know cleanliness is not BA's strong point, but I haven't experienced anything like that red wine incident. The LAN crews I've had have been far from great, nor has the food.

So personally I would pick CW over LA any day. YMMV, as they say.
Old Oct 3, 18, 1:59 pm

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
Like I have said before, the issue of the hard product problem is much easier to solve. They should just use the current First seat (with perhaps some minor modifications) and improve First class with a world beating product. While the density will be lower, which will be a relief to many if not all flyers, all they will need to do is just up the price of standard tickets (they wouldn’t' have the fear of losing all premium passenger would pay up easily) and reduce redemption availability to keep it more exclusive. This will also result in being less crowded in lounges and keep revenues high. They could split the lounges like Qatar do for status holding flyers who are not flying in premium cabins get just the basics. Problem solved!
Old Oct 3, 18, 2:07 pm

Programs: BA GGL & CCR, BA GfL, WoH Lifetime Globalist, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Not quite sure how using the existing first seat would result in reduced density without significant modifications to existing aircraft with a first cabin.

BA already has a Concorde room for first and very frequent flyers at LHR & JFK; with Concorde bars at a number of other destinations.

Doc Copper
Old Oct 3, 18, 2:11 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by icegirl View Post
Like I have said before, the issue of the hard product problem is much easier to solve. They should just use the current First seat (with perhaps some minor modifications) and improve First class with a world beating product. While the density will be lower, which will be a relief to many if not all flyers, all they will need to do is just up the price of standard tickets (they wouldnít' have the fear of losing all premium passenger would pay up easily) and reduce redemption availability to keep it more exclusive. This will also result in being less crowded in lounges and keep revenues high. They could split the lounges like Qatar do for status holding flyers who are not flying in premium cabins get just the basics. Problem solved!
So, in summary, BA should abandon its business market to other competitors (who will provide business travellers what they want for a lower cost) rather than pursue a strategy which has provided a healthy 12% profit margin for the last 8 years?

Search this Thread