Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any ideas Austin to London

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2018, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGLFL, LH Sen, Alitalia Platinum, Hilton Plat, SPG / Marriott / Carlsson Gold
Any ideas Austin to London

Need to get my mother-in-law (to be) to London later this month. Ideally arrive some time on 19 Oct, depart 24 Oct. Could be via any reasonable gateway. Looking for biz. Any ideas VERY gratefully received! Prices look sky high ... 1K
Old Sep 28, 2018, 7:01 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Unless you can pull some sort of joker / guf / avios combination out of your pocket, what about premium economy instead? Cheapest looks like Delta, next cheapest Virgin. However even the BA direct flight will be a lot cheaper in W than in J.

I think you're too close in for good fares (currently the cheapest on that route and those dates in business is about $7500 before taxes and charges), and of course you're starting at the expensive end of that route.
Seat 1K likes this.

Last edited by flatlander; Sep 28, 2018 at 7:10 pm
Old Sep 28, 2018, 9:32 pm

Programs: SK EBS / BA Silver / BMI Gold / KLM Silver
Originally Posted by Seat 1K
Need to get my mother-in-law (to be) to London later this month. Ideally arrive some time on 19 Oct, depart 24 Oct. Could be via any reasonable gateway. Looking for biz. Any ideas VERY gratefully received! Prices look sky high ... 1K
Does a road trip to say San Antonio followed by a domestic to a hub airport open up any attractive possibilities? With the Formula One Grand Prix that weekend you're competing with outbound traffic after the race on the Sunday.
Seat 1K likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looked at departures from other airports in the general area:- IAH, DFW, SAT

You need to keep the (future) M-i-L happy.
Seat 1K likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGLFL, LH Sen, Alitalia Platinum, Hilton Plat, SPG / Marriott / Carlsson Gold
Result

Used a Joker and secured Avios seats ex DFW and back to AUS. Taxes a hefty Ł1,000 and then had to pay for seat assignments (thought GGLFL would have that waived?), but got good seats in on u/d. Rev ticket would have been north of $10k ...
Old Oct 3, 2018, 1:46 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Used a Joker and secured Avios seats ex DFW and back to AUS. Taxes a hefty Ł1,000 and then had to pay for seat assignments (thought GGLFL would have that waived?), but got good seats in on u/d. Rev ticket would have been north of $10k ...
ignore this, see below, i misread the issue here

yes if you are. GGLfL you shouldn’t be paying seat selection charges. I would be requesting a refund if I were you.

Last edited by KARFA; Oct 3, 2018 at 4:10 pm
Old Oct 3, 2018, 1:53 pm

Programs: BA GGLfL, WoH Lifetime Globalist, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Karfa,

No seat charges even if the GGLfLer is not on the booking?

Doc Copper
Old Oct 3, 2018, 1:54 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Does GGL (fL or no) get free seat selection when they're not travelling themselves?
Old Oct 3, 2018, 1:57 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by DoctorCopper
Karfa,

No seat charges even if the GGLfLer is not on the booking?

Doc Copper
aha, sorry I missed that bit. Yes you are right if they aren’t on the booking then usual seat charges apply for the passengers. Thanks.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 2:57 pm

Programs: UA
YMMV, but 2 weeks ago I flew IAH-LGW on BA.. Booked as an AA fare for $577 rt IAH-LHR-CPH and LPA-MAD-MIA-IAH on the return. Upon checkin at BA at IAH, I casually inquired if they had any Premium economy available. He said no, but business class was only $821 more. I was floored as UA would charge 2 grand for that. I took it. $1398 RT to Europe with a fully paid biz class transatlantic segment? Ill do that everytime its offered. Sadly, Iberia on the return wasnt playing though.

You might also want to check out Aeromexico. They usually have really competitive fares in biz class from Texas to Europe via MEX. But youll have to look up their fare on their website.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.