100 years old next year?!

Old Sep 29, 2018, 3:53 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 *Gold
I think the practice of saying your company is as old as the oldest part that makes today’s entity is pretty well established and therefore OK to say BA is 100 next year.

Now, how about celebrating with some £100 CE return fares and maybe some £100 WT as well?
T8191 likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 3:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
'Sadly' never flew BOAC or BEA. My flight records go back to 1963, but my first BA wasn't until 1988, in CW on BA9, BKK-SYD. Next was in 1995, LHR-IAD ... got a bit busier on BA after that.

Missed out on Imperial Airways as well
Old Sep 29, 2018, 4:23 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by T8191
'Sadly' never flew BOAC or BEA. My flight records go back to 1963, but my first BA wasn't until 1988 ......................................

It’s a pity (and a little surprising .... ?) that you somehow managed to garner no experience at all of BOAC or BEA in those 25 years of flying.

My second-ever longhaul flight was down the back of a BOAC VC10, which took me from JFK to MAN in 1972.

I remember feeling proudly British on climbing the steps to board an aircraft, designed & built by British engineers, in that (understated-though-impressive) BOAC livery.

The VC10’s were remarkably fast for their day. In fact I was once told by a retired Captain that (in terms of commercial /passenger aircraft) only Concorde has crossed the Atlantic in less time than a VC10.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 4:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by subject2load
It’s a pity (and a little surprising .... ?) that you somehow managed to garner no experience at all of BOAC or BEA in those 25 years of flying.
Yeah, quite strange. Apart from lots of RAF and USAF, there was ... KL, KM, KS*, UA, AF, CX, GF, LH, EG, BE and SK.

* KS = The defunct Saturn Airways, 1963, DC-6, on a 6-sector hop from IDL to LWS.

https://ba97.com/diary.asp

Last edited by T8191; Sep 29, 2018 at 4:58 am
Old Sep 29, 2018, 4:35 am

'Sadly' never flew BOAC or BEA. My flight records go back to 1963, but my first BA wasn't until 1988, in CW on BA9, BKK-SYD. Next was in 1995, LHR-IAD ... got a bit busier on BA after that.

Missed out on Imperial Airways as well
I'm surprised. I thought you lived next door to Pontious in the old days
T8191 likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 4:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rapidex
I'm surprised. I thought you lived next door to Pontious in the old days
No, Alan Whicker actually!!

But I used to collect airframe registrations from the roof of Queen's Building at LHR in the late 50s ... loads of BEA Viscounts there, of course.
rapidex likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 6:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I've no idea how many BEA/BA branded flights I've had over the years but I have the feeling I've flown more with the former.

At least they're still around. ^
Old Sep 29, 2018, 7:53 am

Programs: BAEC Blue
No, Alan Whicker actually!!

But I used to collect airframe registrations from the roof of Queen's Building at LHR in the late 50s ... loads of BEA Viscounts there, of course.
I have fond memories of doing the same thing allbeit a few years later in the late 60's, in fact my first job at the airport was working in the Queens Building cafe/bar overlooking the Terminal 2 ramp and running the ice cream stand on the roof gardens. Happy Days.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 9:06 am

The history is interesting.The original airlines merged in 1924 to form Imperial Airways which merged with the original British Airways to form BOAC in 1940.
BEA was split off from BOAC in 1946 and then merged again in 1974.
In the early years of BOAC,management from British Airways seemed to be in charge and aircraft had British Airways titles for a while.
Then with a change at the top BOAC appeared again.
The wartime history when BOAC was operating from bases as far apart as Montreal,Baltimore,Durban and Cairo is not widely known.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not forgetting the WW2 BOAC Mosquitos operating to Sweden ...
Between 1943 and the end of the war, Mosquitos were used as transport aircraft on a regular route over the North Sea between Leuchars in Scotland and Stockholm, in neutral Sweden. Earlier, Lockheed Hudsons and Lodestars were used but these slower aircraft could only fly this route at night or in bad weather to avoid the risk of being shot down. During the long daylight hours of the Northern summer, the Mosquito was the safer alternative.

To ensure that the flights did not violate Sweden's neutrality, the aircraft carried civilian markings and were operated by crews who were nominally "civilian employees" of British Overseas Airways Corporation (BOAC). They carried small, high value cargoes such as precision ball bearings and machine-tool steel, as well as Diplomatic Bags. Important passengers were also carried in an improvised "cabin" in the bomb bay.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 11:47 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by Trident 3B
I have fond memories of doing the same thing allbeit a few years later in the late 60's
Same here! My golden age of LHR aircraft spotting was 1967-69 (i.e. pre-747 era); I spent many a happy hour on the viewing terrace of the Queens Building with my telescope, VHF radio and annual copy of Civil Aircraft Markings.

I flew BOAC numerous times, but never BEA. First BOAC flight was in September 1969 LHR JFK NAS (VC10), with numerous LHR BDA NAS and vv flights (boarding school trips) in early/mid 70s (707s).
Old Sep 29, 2018, 4:06 pm

Programs: BA Gold4life, ICH RA, Hyatt Gold and others
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I'm afraid I can only prescribe a course of further Flyertalk. Here is another thread, and my reckoning on how the date was established. I can only agree with mikeyfly that it is a bit tenuous, however at least the inaugural flight did take off not too far from 27L.

Time for a BA flypast?

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/information/about-ba/history-and-heritage/explore-our-past/1910-1919

(I'm not sure what we were doing sending grouse to Paris, but that's another matter).
If you study very old footage you will certainly see the name British airways going back well before. prime minister Baldwin returned from his triumphant visit with here Hitler proclaiming peace in our time on the steps of an aircraft clearly labelled British Airways over the door. So that takes us back to 1936ish
Old Sep 29, 2018, 4:28 pm

Programs: BA Gold4life, ICH RA, Hyatt Gold and others
Originally Posted by RobDBA
I think the practice of saying your company is as old as the oldest part that makes today’s entity is pretty well established and therefore OK to say BA is 100 next year.

Now, how about celebrating with some £100 CE return fares and maybe some £100 WT as well?
And this makes sense to me BUT if it's not correct then I assume my wife on marrying me and changing her name to.mine started at year 0 again making her 17 now. hmmm might catch on
Old Sep 29, 2018, 7:10 pm

The first commercial air flight was in 1914, St Petersburg-Tampa airboat line in the US. BOAC was founded in 1939 and commenced operations in 1940. Please correct me if I am wrong, thank you.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by RobDBA

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.