Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Best way to get to Perth and back with a 241 vouchers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2018, 6:27 am
Original Poster

Hi, we need to be in Perth for a wedding late Oct 2019. I have a pile of Avios and a 241 voucher which expires late 2019. We have flexibility on travel dates and routing and want to stop off in HK, Sydney and potentially elsewhere on our journey. I know I need to redeem the voucher on BA and also that availability to Sydney via Singapore is v difficult. I am therefore looking at if I can go London to HK using voucher and Avios Then pay cash to fly to Sydney and onto Perth, Perth to Singapore. Then return using the voucher and Avios to get us back to London. I think this is possible under the rules of the voucher but not sure if it is a sensible way to proceed. Thanks!
Old Sep 28, 2018, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SuperSeagull
Hi, we need to be in Perth for a wedding late Oct 2019. I have a pile of Avios and a 241 voucher which expires late 2019. We have flexibility on travel dates and routing and want to stop off in HK, Sydney and potentially elsewhere on our journey. I know I need to redeem the voucher on BA and also that availability to Sydney via Singapore is v difficult.

I am therefore looking at if I can go London to HK using voucher and Avios Then pay cash to fly to Sydney and onto Perth, Perth to Singapore.

Then return using the voucher and Avios to get us back to London. I think this is possible under the rules of the voucher but not sure if it is a sensible way to proceed.
PER can be difficult to get to on Oneworld/BA. But many options
In Onewworld QR fly DOH-PER & MH KUL-PER (avios award option)
LHR-SIN with a cash ticket or avios SIN-PER is an option
LHR-HKG with a cash ticket or avios HKG-PER is an option
SYD PER can be expensive (~4 hr flight). Can be good value with avios award

Great Circle Mapper
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perth_Airport

Edit
BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion
SuperSeagull likes this.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Sep 28, 2018 at 6:44 am
Old Sep 28, 2018, 6:41 am

Programs: BA Bronze SPG
We've booked to do our rellies trip May 19 (Queensland - Cairns and Brisbane) also with 241 and avios. We're doing INV-LHR-HKG rtn on the 241 (out in J and back in F). Spending 2 nts HKG and then HKG-CNS in CX J. Back BNE-HKG in QF Y cos I couldn't justify another 100k avios to do that trip in J. We did look at SIN but the taxes were high in comparison with HKG. Having another 3 nts in HKG before flight home. That cost us 173500 avios each.

I was able to get availability straight away at 355 days out.
SuperSeagull likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FEMW
We did look at SIN but the taxes were high in comparison with HKG. Having another 3 nts in HKG before flight home. That cost us 173500 avios each.

I was able to get availability straight away at 355 days out.
Was probably not real Singapore taxes that were high, but the BA award carrier imposed surcharge (~fuel surcharge =100% airline profit]
HKG are changing the "no fuel supercharge" law, so BA & others will be able to grab those carrier imposed surcharges.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 6:51 am

Programs: BA, Marriott & SPG, Hilton, Avis
You can pick any SE Asian location such as KUL, BKK, SIN, HKG and book a return from the same or different location (open-jaw) using the 241. You'll have a good choice of low cost carriers to get you to Perth from SE Asia. Otherwise KUL and HKG may have OW connections bookable on Avios.
SuperSeagull likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 6:52 am

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
Originally Posted by SuperSeagull
I think this is possible under the rules of the voucher but not sure if it is a sensible way to proceed. Thanks!
Yes, you can just book a return to HKG using the voucher, and make a separate booking for the Australia bit. Avios redemptions seem to be good value in Oz.
SuperSeagull likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I'd book to KUL in F return and keep an eye on the Premium Fare thread - MH often have great deals, and PER comes up. If it doesn't work, you can amend your tickets for £35
SuperSeagull likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 7:04 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
I'd book to KUL in F return and keep an eye on the Premium Fare thread - MH often have great deals, and PER comes up. If it doesn't work, you can amend your tickets for £35
AirAsiaX and Malindo also fly KUL-PER and have proper (or at least regional) J seats. Malindo are also ok in regular Y, and leave from the main terminal in KL.
SuperSeagull likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 7:07 am

AirAsiaX is a flat bed seat and not bad at all

ScootBiz from Singapore is more like premium economy but can be very cheap on that route

I would probably do one of each and have a night in each city to mitigate against any delays and break up the journey
SuperSeagull likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 7:14 am

Programs: BA Blue, Hilton Gold
Qantas domestic flights are good value on Avios, so consider booking them as stand alone between Perth and Sydney.
SuperSeagull likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 7:39 am
Original Poster

Wow, so many ideas! I’m new to this awards flight game so very much appreciate the responses. I hadn’t considered the idea that we could use Avios to buy flights in Oz but heard good things about the premium cabins in some of the regional carriers. I may need to ask some supplementary questions!
Old Sep 28, 2018, 7:44 am

Programs: BA Bronze SPG
Our taxes HKG-CNS was £45 in J (60k avios pp) and BNE-HKG was £98 in Y (25k avios pp)
SuperSeagull likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Shuttle_Endeavour
Qantas domestic flights are good value on Avios, so consider booking them as stand alone between Perth and Sydney.
One word of caution about using Avios for PER-SYD: This is just over 2,000 miles.

The consequence is that in economy, PER-SYD costs 12,500 although PER-MEL is 10,000 Avios. That is not much of a difference.

However, because of the banding/zoning and multipliers used in the Avios charge, PER-SYD in business class is 37,500 while PER-MEL is only 20,000. So routing PER-MEL-SYD all in business class would be only 29,000 Avios compared to the 37,500 of the non-stop PER-SYD. And if Melbourne becomes a destination in itself, that might be a win-win.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.