Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does BA block seats next to Emeralds?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2018, 4:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat 1MM, AA EXP 3MM, SQ Krisflyer Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Gold
Does BA block seats next to Emeralds?

sorry if that is answered somewhere else. On my last 4 BA flights, the seat next to me showed blocked on expert flyer 48h pre departure. I am AA emerald and all flights were Club Europe or Club world. The seat next to me was always empty. Is there a process? Or just got lucky?
Old Sep 28, 2018, 4:28 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Yes it does. There is a lengthy theoretical seating thread that discusses the topic.

No guarantee of the seat remaining free but on less busy flights you have a good chance of it being free.
SxMan likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 4:28 am

Originally Posted by flying_geek
sorry if that is answered somewhere else. On my last 4 BA flights, the seat next to me showed blocked on expert flyer 48h pre departure. I am AA emerald and all flights were Club Europe or Club world. The seat next to me was always empty. Is there a process? Or just got lucky?
Yes. Altea fly will keep seats next to BA golds unless needed. In club Europe the seat next to you would be free throughout.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 4:32 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, HH Diamond, Hertz PC,
Old Sep 28, 2018, 5:14 am

Programs: BAEC: Silver. Nothing else as TopCashBack trumps all hotel programs
It's a weird one really. I quite like sitting next to someone. I don't mind smiling at and talking to strangers. Shocking I know....
I would feel a bit lonely if Gold and constantly no-one sitting next to me. I've met some truly incredible people sitting next to me on flights. Is there a way to ask BA to not block seats next to you if gold for those of us who actually enjoy human interaction?
SxMan and AirbusA350 like this.

Last edited by cupsandsaucers; Sep 28, 2018 at 5:31 am
Old Sep 28, 2018, 5:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat 1MM, AA EXP 3MM, SQ Krisflyer Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Gold
Thanks. When club Europe I meant the other seat in the row, not the middle seat. Right now I am in 5F, so I meant 5D.

anyhow, thanks for the responses.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 5:57 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by cupsandsaucers
It's a weird one really. I quite like sitting next to someone. I don't mind smiling at and talking to strangers. Shocking I know....
I would feel a bit lonely if Gold and constantly no-one sitting next to me. I've met some truly incredible people sitting next to me on flights. Is there a way to ask BA to not block seats next to you if gold for those of us who actually enjoy human interaction?
I can't believe that anyone actually wants someone sitting right next to them in Euro Traveller. But, if you do, all you have to do is select a seat next to another passenger when you check in.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 6:08 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Misco60
I can't believe that anyone actually wants someone sitting right next to them in Euro Traveller. But, if you do, all you have to do is select a seat next to another passenger when you check in.
Of course, you're still likely to have someone next to you in the aisle or window, but a blocked middle seat as well. That said, my success rate for this has declined rapidly recently in ET, although I've been flying a lot more Club Europe too.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 6:20 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Thanks. When club Europe I meant the other seat in the row, not the middle seat. Right now I am in 5F, so I meant 5D.

anyhow, thanks for the responses.
Until needed by virtue of number of passengers exceeding remaining number of'blocked gold/emerald' seats, only another emerald/gold can choose that fly blocked seat next to the OWE/ba-gold

On AMS-LHR I often book day or two before travel, and see that exit row has middle B+E seats available to me as BA-Gold , if I choose Y purchase on the short 1hr flight close in due to very high J rates

Same if I grab one of 1A/1C or 1D/1F when booking as BA-Gold , the adjacent fee seat is blocked unless a OWE/BA-Gold chooses it, and are last to be given at airport by checkin desk agents
Old Sep 28, 2018, 6:26 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
That's still Theoretical Seating. BA isn't the only airline to have this by any means, but the main thread indicated above has the details.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 6:43 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
I still believe it's luck more than some fancy algorithm etc. at work.
It's too random for my liking and recent trips have had 3 people in my row with other also generic rows (i.e. not exit rows but say 3/4 of the way back on the starboard side) being filled with 1 or 2 people only (sometimes I get a GGL / GCH greeting in my full row whereas they don't).
Old Sep 28, 2018, 7:26 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by xenole
I still believe it's luck more than some fancy algorithm etc. at work.
It's too random for my liking and recent trips have had 3 people in my row with other also generic rows (i.e. not exit rows but say 3/4 of the way back on the starboard side) being filled with 1 or 2 people only (sometimes I get a GGL / GCH greeting in my full row whereas they don't).
In which case how do explain this, from yesterday? The best, or maybe second best seat on an LCY-EDI Embraer 190, indeed one of the best seats in European shorthaul travel, blocked out, CWS in 2D, rest of CE being mainly Silver. If you want a TS seat, then indeed you best go three quarters down the aircraft, most passengers tend to want to be near the front.

Old Sep 28, 2018, 7:55 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
In which case how do explain this, from yesterday? The best, or maybe second best seat on an LCY-EDI Embraer 190, indeed one of the best seats in European shorthaul travel, blocked out, CWS in 2D, rest of CE being mainly Silver. If you want a TS seat, then indeed you best go three quarters down the aircraft, most passengers tend to want to be near the front.
Who knows? Fluke, luck, providence, algorithms or just no-one chose to sit there that day / were unable to sit there and just sat where they chose / in their seat given originally.

Most of my free middle seats have been when the aircraft isn't overly full and towards the front / exit rows.
Moving towards the back generally results in 2 seatmates regardless of how full the aircraft is.

I do prefer the front but have been sitting further back to try and gain the empty middle seats.

To be honest, I've had far more empty middle seats and/or rows on AA flights than BA and not sure if they have something similar in place.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 8:32 am

Programs: BAEC bouncing from Blue to Gold to Blue VSFC Red CXGreen Club Accor Platinum Hilton Silver.
I’ve had seat blocked on S/H never on L/H wether Y or CW the adjoining seats are blocked until the flight but occupied on the day even if there are other empty seats in the cabin. I guess I’m more popular than I thought .
John
Old Sep 28, 2018, 10:15 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
I don't think I've ever had an empty seat next to me except when everyone else on the plane also has one (i.e. flight <70% full)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.