Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tbilisi on One world/BA

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2018, 9:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
Tbilisi on One world/BA

Just discovered how difficult it is to get a decent timed flight to Tbilisi from London

BA don’t fly there (have they ever considered?)

Anyone found a decent one-world option

My search only brings up Lufthansa and Ukraine Airlines (or the direct Goergia Airlines from LGW )

Old Sep 27, 2018, 10:03 am

Programs: OW Saphire, Club Carlson Gold
May or may not be useful depending on your disposition to change planes (or ability incorporate into another trip) - Qatar does a fifth freedom from Baku (QR 252) for very little BA miles.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 10:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
BA to Moscow, connect to S7 - but long connection and I think a Russian visa hassle?

Qatar looks the best option - some good connections on offer most days: 1-2 hours on the LHR flights, and 2.5 hours on the LGW flights: not too bad.

Still not a very direct way to get to Tblisi, but QR is a nice enough way to travel if you have to go on OneWorld.
allturnleft likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
You could route through DOH with QR leaving LHR in the morning and arriving TBS around midnight. There are some overnight options also. I think I would forego trying to fly OW.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 10:16 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze; ALL Gold
I looked into this recently and the option with the shortest overall timing was Turkish from Gatwick via Istanbul.
allturnleft likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 10:17 am

With LHR so slot-restricted, I doubt we’ll see BA back there anytime soon. But I can’t recommend Tbilisi enough as a great few days away - absolutely loved it, and easily ranks in my top 5 long weekend breaks. Enjoy!
MichaelBaku likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 10:24 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
If only BA could get a bunch of slots at another airport in London, perhaps a competitor might collapse... it's a dream!

Old Sep 27, 2018, 10:27 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN , A3*G & others less exciting that don't fit in my wallet
Tried to put something together this summer to go to Georgia ( apart from Tblisi wanted to go to https://www.designhotels.com/hotels/...-hotel-kazbegi ) but it was almost impossible to find flights that don't arrive and/or depart from Tblisi at terrible hours of the night

Georgian Airlines doesn't show up on Google flights or ITA .. but they do fly to Gatwick from Tblisi a couple of times a week .. the inbound flight is okay , the outbound awful timings - No idea what they are like [ They also fly to some other European cities as well , but their website is fairly primitive ] .. Wizz Air also fly to somewhere in Georgia (not Tblisi) from Luton once or twice a week , but 5 hours on Wizzair ....

As noted above Air Ukraine via Kiev or Turkish via Istanbul were the only vaguely reasonable options with sensible timings ... closest BA will get you is Istanbul or Kiev , but flights from either to Tblisi seemed pretty pricey if bought separately.

Going via Doha is a bit silly given the very extended journey time , and it was very expensive too ..

Overall I'd love to go , but decided to shelve the idea until I could find better timed flights .. definitely on 'the list'
Old Sep 27, 2018, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by allturnleft
BA don’t fly there (have they ever considered?)
BA not only considered it, but did - albeit (IIRC) as a route acquired with BD: https://www.businesstraveller.com/ne...minal-changes/
orbitmic likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 10:54 am

Programs: NZ*G, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by EvilDoctorK
Tried to put something together this summer to go to Georgia ( apart from Tblisi wanted to go to https://www.designhotels.com/hotels/...-hotel-kazbegi ) but it was almost impossible to find flights that don't arrive and/or depart from Tblisi at terrible hours of the night
Georgian Airlines doesn't show up on Google flights or ITA .. but they do fly to Gatwick from Tblisi a couple of times a week .. the inbound flight is okay , the outbound awful timings - No idea what they are like [ They also fly to some other European cities as well , but their website is fairly primitive ] .. Wizz Air also fly to somewhere in Georgia (not Tblisi) from Luton once or twice a week , but 5 hours on Wizzair ....
Overall I'd love to go , but decided to shelve the idea until I could find better timed flights .. definitely on 'the list'
Went through the same debate earlier this year, the lack of reasonable flights was almost a deal breaker, but we ended up booking the Georgian Airlines flights, mostly for price and duration reasons. As you say the flight times on the way over were terrible but otherwise it was…. fine.

However the destination more than made up for it, couldn’t recommend it more.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 12:22 pm

Programs: BA Silver
This is one destination where you should just forget Oneworld (and pretty much anyone else) and fly TK!

Alternatively Wizzair fly to Kutaisi for next to nothing which is at least in the right country, although they fly from a place called Luton, whatever that is.

Agree with others that TBS is a great place to visit and it is only a matter of time before one of the major LCCs fly there from the UK and it really takes off as a long weekend destination.
ajamieson and kingstontoon like this.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 12:31 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

My interest in Tbilisi has also been piqued - inspired by Joanna Lumley's Silk Road Adventure. My initial planning tends towards TK via IST but I'll be staying clear of that option for the next 6 months
etiene likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 12:33 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN , A3*G & others less exciting that don't fit in my wallet
Originally Posted by mckma8
Went through the same debate earlier this year, the lack of reasonable flights was almost a deal breaker, but we ended up booking the Georgian Airlines flights, mostly for price and duration reasons. As you say the flight times on the way over were terrible but otherwise it was…. fine.

However the destination more than made up for it, couldn’t recommend it more.
Yeah, those flight times (especially with kids) were just a deal breaker for they Georgian Airlines option .. will definitely look again in the future, seemed like an amazing place to visit
Old Sep 27, 2018, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Globaliser
BA not only considered it, but did - albeit (IIRC) as a route acquired with BD: https://www.businesstraveller.com/ne...minal-changes/
Indeed, it stopped a while ago unfortunately, then they stopped Baku too.

So indeed, QR can work if you absolutely must on QR or S7 but this is both more inconvenient and more expensive. Georgian Airlines is by far the easiest choice from London, followed by TK with multiple daily flights, then way, way, further down the pecking order are the likes of LH, LO, and SU - though if like me your SU to TBS gets cancelled and you don't have a Russian visa, expect hell (so personally I'd avoid S7 and SU at all cost next time).
Old Sep 27, 2018, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Originally Posted by the_real_a
May or may not be useful depending on your disposition to change planes (or ability incorporate into another trip) - Qatar does a fifth freedom from Baku (QR 252) for very little BA miles.
The fifth freedom is no more, as far as I know. It looks like QR252 does operate as such, but the flight hasn't actually operated in a while. TBS-DOH is nonstop up to 3x daily.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.