BA/SUN AIR - short TR

Old Sep 26, 2018, 11:44 am
Original Poster

BA/SUN AIR - short TR

A big thumbs up to Sun Air for a short flight from Friedrichshafen(FDH) to DUS (Düsseldorf) this morning on a Dornier 328 jet.

It was an avios redemption with onward connection to Heathrow. The flight was marketed as a BA flight as was the trip the plane did after the DUS sector, which was to Billund. I don’t know what other services they do operating as BA.

Online check in was available and security at FDH was quick and painless. With only 20 or so punters boarding was quick, after a short bus ride from gate to plane. My normal carry on bag was too big for the small lockers on board so was tagged and placed in the rear hold. I settled down in 2A in the all economy cabin ( the lay out is 9 rows of 1:2 and with row 1 just having the 2 seats on the right). For some reason row 1 was not available at check in. A short taxi and we were airborne in a sprightly fashion - the noise in the cabin was fine.

Then, horror upon horror a FREE drink was offered (water or OJ) then a FREE cheese and ham roll was handed out (very tasty) followed by FREE teas and coffees. I thought that would be that but then a tray of yoghurts was offered - also FREE.

A quick descent into DUS followed and we were on the ground after an airborne time of about 50 mins.

Parking was on a remote stand and the aforementioned bag was at the bottom of the steps as I disembarked. Bus ride to terminal and I was in the lounge within 15 minutes of landing.

All in all all a good experience and if you ever wanted to fly in a Dornier 328 I would thoroughly recommend it😄👍
Old Sep 26, 2018, 2:24 pm

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Why are Sun-Air cash prices so expensive? Does anyone do it who isn't on an RFS?
kingstontoon likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I have seen business types on the Billund route, not many leisure people. Friedrichshafen might get people who are going to or connected with the Bregenz festival. To be honest, my FDH flights were a bit more gonky than my BLL ones .. i.e. bloke in 1A with bare feet right up against the front thing (bulkhead?)

You should try SUN-AIR flights later in the day: you get the full works and lots of alcohol, including wine made by the Dornier family. FDH catering comes from a well known Friedrichshafen bakery, BLL catering is more substantial. Oh, I forgot about the ice cream service, which on routes to Denmark is an artisanal Danish make.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 2:20 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Sun Air are great. You can do some things like flying to the US starting from Aalborg and they're very inexpensive.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 4:54 am

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
Why dont LCY sun air flights with BA code not appear on the BA app

Trying to book on mobile website they appear as an option but are then unbookable when clicked on

Has the relationship with SunAir and BA changed?

They are bookable on Opodo
Old Nov 4, 2018, 12:48 pm

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
The best Y in the Sky

Did a lego land and lego house Jolly today ignited by the chance to fly on the dornier328 Jet

Flew out club from LHR punctuated by an empty CE cabin and tasty scrambled egg

Lived the trip home

The dornier Jet sounds like an executive jet

The seats ate marketed as Y but the service is far better than CE

Papers
Drinks and Pretzels
cold diner and wine and cheese
Coffee
Liquers
Ice Cream
More liquers

One very friendly effecient cabin crew

Its what you imagine business class would be like

Old Nov 4, 2018, 12:55 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
The D328 goes up like a rocket too. Fantastic little airline, Sun Air, I've loved my flights with them (including on the Jetstream 32 which I think has been more or less retired now).

As mentioned upthread, you can (if nothing has changed) include them in ex AAL on a longer itinerary which isn't expensive. I did ex AAL to BOS via OSL which I think was about £420 all in for WT. Wasn't a great TP earner, but great fun.

Last edited by bisonrav; Nov 4, 2018 at 1:02 pm
Old Nov 4, 2018, 1:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
I do like Sun Air - I have done a few flights with them in and out of Aarhus. Obviously much better than anything you'd get in Y on a shorthaul BA flight!
Old Nov 4, 2018, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Long may it last, because there are not many airlines in Europe offering decent service these days. You can count them on the fingers of one hand.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 3:06 am
Jed

Programs: BA Gold, AA 1MM lifetime gold, Starwood gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Apologies resurrecting an old thread...
does anyone know if Sun air flights from BLL-LCY are eligible for gold priority rewards (double Avios redemptions)? I’m assuming so, but would be grateful if anyone knows for sure. Thanks
Old Feb 19, 2020, 5:49 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by Jed
Apologies resurrecting an old thread...
does anyone know if Sun air flights from BLL-LCY are eligible for gold priority rewards (double Avios redemptions)? I’m assuming so, but would be grateful if anyone knows for sure. Thanks
I don't think they're available for franchise partners, only BA mainline. Happy to be corrected though.
Old Oct 20, 2020, 10:51 am

Programs: BA Silver / EI Silver
A cash ticket on Sun Air is costing £600, but a Avios ticket is 17,500 for MAN-BLL. Tempted to book the Avios ticket, I can sell it to my family as a nice trip to Legoland, and a experience on the Dornier 328 for me.
jfallesen likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2020, 11:00 am

Programs: BAGGL, A3G, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, LHW Sterling
Originally Posted by AHC96
A cash ticket on Sun Air is costing £600, but a Avios ticket is 17,500 for MAN-BLL. Tempted to book the Avios ticket, I can sell it to my family as a nice trip to Legoland, and a experience on the Dornier 328 for me.
Did it before the lockdown this year. Highly recommend !!
AHC96 likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2020, 5:54 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Originally Posted by allturnleft
Did a lego land and lego house Jolly today ignited by the chance to fly on the dornier328 Jet

Flew out club from LHR punctuated by an empty CE cabin and tasty scrambled egg

Lived the trip home

The dornier Jet sounds like an executive jet

The seats ate marketed as Y but the service is far better than CE

Papers
Drinks and Pretzels
cold diner and wine and cheese
Coffee
Liquers
Ice Cream
More liquers

One very friendly effecient cabin crew

Its what you imagine business class would be like

Done MAN/BLL with the family for Legoland and Lalandia holidays, love those flights and with 6 of us it's almost like a private jet :-)
AHC96 and allturnleft like this.
Old Oct 21, 2020, 4:01 pm

Programs: BAGGL, A3G, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, LHW Sterling
A few snaps from my LCY - BLL and BLL - DUS with Sunair (including First officer Anders).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.